Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, for those of you who live in a market area that has Harbor Freight stores, this weekend they are having a sidewalk sale and are selling a 13-7/8" L x 13" W x 22-5/8" H biometric gun safe (that's what the sticker says on the inside door) for $119.00 (in Vegas). It normally sells for $239.99. That's a great sale price for a biometric safe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96846

I bought one a little over a month ago and paid $150 (dang). The fingerprint access works about 90-95% on the first try on my thumb. Plus, I can do it in complete darkness.

The website weight is wrong. It weighs about 75 pounds.

[Edit] Not to mislead anyone as far as reliability, I want to let everyone know that my sister-in-law has (old) dry fingers. It can't read her fingerprint for beans. [/Edit]

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Dang they have a store only about 3 miles from me. Brand new one. It used to be a Western wear store! I might run up there and look at what they have.

·
Registered
497 Posts
VegasGuy said:
The fingerprint access works about 90-95% on the first try on my thumb. Plus, I can do it in complete darkness.

When it gets to 100%, let us know.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pioneer461 said:

When it gets to 100%, let us know.

Well, it is 100% more reliable than turning the knob on my old combination safe in complete darkness. :eek:

Plus, with this safe I don't have to find my reading glasses first and then turn on a light switch.

Here's another perspective for you: I wouldn't claim 100% reliability on my combination safe, either. Many times I have accidentally over-spun the dial and had to start over.

The truth is, if I don't rush it and put my thumb on straight it seems to work the first time, every time. It opens in 3-4 seconds, start to finish. That's a whole lot faster than I can accurately spin my combination dial even with the lights on.

I have purposely tested it several times a day so I could get a sense of its reliability. I am surprised it works as well as it does. But, there is the skin dryness factor so not everyone will have the same experience that I do.​

·
15,931 Posts
If I ever got another combination safe, it will be the push button one, just like I have now much easier than a spinner, which I never could get right even in high school..

·
22,058 Posts
My Cannon safe has a combination and key. Does the push button type require a battery??

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
question is what if the print scanner's batteries die or gets busted? how do you get in?

also not very big.. might be suitable for a few hand guns.

Overall dimensions: 13-7/8" L x 13" W x 22-5/8" H;
im guessing it's insides are probably 12wide x 21high x 11deep (aprox)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joe sixpack said:
question is what if the print scanner's batteries die or gets busted? how do you get in?
Two options:

1) It has a back-up battery pack that plugs into it. This battery pack also allows you to replace batteries and not lose registered fingerprints.
2) It has a key.

If you want to read the owners manual, there is a link for the manual at the link I posted above. Look for the green Download Product Manual button.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
airwrench said:
My Cannon safe has a combination and key. Does the push button type require a battery??
My Ft. Knox has a S&G electronic pushpad that operates on DC power backed up by a 9V battery.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a small safe in my badroom (well big enought for 4 handguns) that has a combinatin pad and a key (the key slot is covered). I can have it opened in about 3 seconds. It uses 4 AA batteries. I never had them die on me because the light goes red (instred of green) when batteries run low I just replace them. (I open the safe every couple days for play time :D)

·
15,931 Posts
I went to the New Harbor Freight here in KY this morning. It is their grand opening week. That particular safe was not in stock that I could find. I was kind of bummed, as it would have been nice for the handguns, and use my current keyed only box for Ammo.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robby said:
I went to the New Harbor Freight here in KY this morning. It is their grand opening week. That particular safe was not in stock that I could find. I was kind of bummed, as it would have been nice for the handguns, and use my current keyed only box for Ammo.
Robby, at my local HF they only keep one of these safes on the sales floor at a time. But, they do have several in the storage room. I would simply give them a call and ask if the have item number 96846 in stock. You might luck out. Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you get on thier mailing list you get all of thr ads mailed to you about a week early...and every other month it seems to have a 15% off coupon good for any purchase.
They also have what the call an executive safe...digital keypad with key backup that goes on sale often enough at $250 or so. looks like it will hold up to 8 rifles or you can set up shelves to hold a slew of pistols and ammo. It is next on my purchase list.
"Nuf said

1 - 15 of 15 Posts