Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a pistol in a bag "encased" on a bicycle legal similar to an encased pistol in my car without a CCW?
{added later} I live in Florida where it is legal to carry a pistol snapped in a holster or bag anywhere in the car (no three step rule).

Thanks,
Seth

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Re: Bike Carry non-CCW?

Depends on how it's encased and what state you live in. While motorcycles are considered a motor vehicle, I don't think bycycles enjoy the same interpretation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Bike Carry non-CCW?

I think you should check your local laws. You may want to get a CCW if you are going to carry on your bike or wherever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added that I live in FL. Bicycles are held to the same road rules as cars- other than licensing. You can get DUI on a bike, you are supposed to honor all street signs etc. So, I don't know if that carries over to pistols since a car is obviously more secure than a bike.

In FL it is legal to have my pistol anywhere in the car as long as it is "encased". Examples of encased are: a buttoned holster, or naked in the glove box, or in a zipped bag.

Let me know if anyone has any insight. I may have to email the attorney general's office on this one as I don't want to take my law enforcement friends' word for it.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It's the "Two Step Rule". It's to make you think an extra second before you use the weapon. In a vehicle, it has to be out of sight, even if you're licensed to carry.
Then the Two Steps. That generally means #1 in the glove box or console locked. Or, #2 in the glove box or console unlocked but in a gun rug or holster with a thumb retention device. There are other combinations. Just ensure that there are two steps.
This how it was explained to me by both a dealer, and by my N.R.A. Safety class instructor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It actually doesn't have to be out of sight...it can be on the seat, as long as its in a snapped holster. The glove box does NOT have to be locked...the gun can be naked inside the console or glove box as long as its CLOSED.

For bikes...if you have a bag on there, I'd put it in there naked.

I can post the statute language if you guys want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks drummin_man.

Threefortyduster, I would like to see the legal language if you've found it. I read section 790 but I may have missed the part about bikes. Thanks for your input.
Seth

·
Registered
235 Posts
sethnchrista said:
Thanks drummin_man.

Threefortyduster, I would like to see the legal language if you've found it. I read section 790 but I may have missed the part about bikes. Thanks for your input.
Seth
It didn't specifically say bicycles, but I'm sure the private conveyance portion should cover bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts