Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am becoming more familiar with my newly acquired M605. It came with two sets of grips. The grips that are on the revolver are all black two-piece rubber, with finger impressions and a small molded thumb rest, But there is "no logo" or identifications on the grips.... just solid and slick black thin grips and they are somewhat longer than the other included grips. I am wondering if these are old grips, or an earlier version of the Taurus Rubber Combat grip. The pics I currently see for the Combat Grips have a Taurus logo on them, but mine does not. Also included in the gun box was a set of shorter black grips which I am assuming is the newer shorter grips called the boot grips. It is a two-piece grip with some rubber knobbies on the sides and it too is held together by one screw in the middle of the grip. There is a logo Taurus button near the bottom. My pinky finger falls off this grip. I am thinking that I may need new bigger/longer/thicker grips for this handgun since I feel like my hand should be further away from the trigger. My thumb and shooting finger can touch each other very easily and is distracting to me. Also, single action is not comfortable. When cocked for SA the trigger sits way back in the trigger guard and my trigger finger has to cramp way back to find and pull the trigger. I can feel my entire hand shifting on the grip to get back farther on the grip... Not a good thing. Any suggestions for a "bigger or longer" grip for this model? I am 6' tall but really have only average size hands. At this point I am more concerned about correct grip fit than I am about concealment. I really like everything about this gun but need to correct this grip problem for sure.
-Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
35,331 Posts
Well, I can adapt to about anything and shoot it fine and that's a good thing because I LOVE the boot grips for concealment. But, for comfort, I find Hogue Monogrips to be EXCELLENT and I have 'em now on my 3" Taurus M66 .357 and my Smith and Wesson M10. I've got Pachmayr Grippers on my 4" M66 and really think I'll eventually put some Hogues on it, too. I don't carry that one IWB, though, just an outdoor and range revolver, very accurate and I love the gun, but it's not as concealable. That's why I bought the 3" gun.

Carried IWB, the Hogue is flat enough to hide under a reasonably baggy shirt and FOR ME, single action and double action hand position with this grip is very ergonomically pleasing. However, it's a personal thing. No two shooters will prefer the same grip, I reckon.

That little boot grip is on my M85UL and it allows that little gun to ride nice and tidy in my pocket where a larger grip would make that impossible. Other than the pinky not having a perch (I'm used to that) it allows me a decent grip and control, but the gun is a .38 after all. With +Ps in it, it slaps the hand a might. If it were a .357, it'd no doubt HURT. LOL .357 snubbies really need a larger grip for control and comfort. Can't really call my 3" M66 a snubbie, it's a medium frame gun, but it's very pleasant to shoot with the Hogue. Of course, it wasn't that bad with wood or the Pachmayr, but that Hogue just blends with the bends of my hand so much better. I've always liked Hogues and had the old nylon one on my old Ruger Security Six 30 years ago when I first heard of the Hogue.

·
Super Moderator
35,331 Posts
BTW, go to www.ajaxgrips.com . They have Hogue, Pachmayr, their own proprietary stuff, and some other stuff on that site and they're competitive in price. Most well stocked gun stores will have them, though. I picked my last one up at a gun store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey NativeTexan... Thanks for the nice reply. I also like the M66 and almost bought one last year. I sold a sweet Rossi 972 a few years back and regret getting rid of it. Don't know what I was thinking (LOL). It was a great outdoor gun similar to your 4 incher. I will check out the ajax link you provided and see what I can find out about a bigger grip for my M605. I really do like it with the 3" barrel and currently ordered a pocket holster from Bob Mika for it. Hopefully it will work with my cargo pants/shorts.... If not then I will have to move on to a belt holster.
-thanks again!

·
Registered
545 Posts
The smoth longer Grips are freebees from Taurus. I liked them better for recoil control. They are better for Speed Loader room.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't enjoy even 38 +P's with the OEM 2 finger grips (with the rubber nubbie's). I have access to an older M605 with the 3 finger rubber grips, the combat grips I think. Magnums in that doesn't bother me (if I have any level of recoil tolerance at the time).

For a larger grip I also have a Pachmayr Compac. It gives a much better feel but definitely move the gun out of the pocket category. Basically, it give the gun a medium frame feel. I like shooting with them but don't use them much.

Steelheart

edited for a brain fart

·
Super Moderator
35,331 Posts
I sold a sweet Rossi 972 a few years back and regret getting rid of it. Don't know what I was thinking (LOL). It was a great outdoor gun similar to your 4 incher.

I, too, had a Rossi M971 4" that was a dandy little revolver. I partial traded it on a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" stainless in .45 Colt. Now, I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat (that Ruger is awesome), but I really do miss that little Rossi. But, the M66 is a nicer finished gun with a better trigger, so it makes a decent replacement. That little Rossi, though, was a little lighter on the hip and a perfect sized little gun for carry afield. It wasn't quite as accurate as the M66, but it was plenty accurate enough. I took a lot of rabbits with wad cutters for camp meat with it and shot a Javelina once with it out in west Texas using 140 grain JHP magnums. I really liked the rubber grips it came with, too, but the Hogues are better for my hand.

The Compacs from Pachmayr are good concealment grips for IWB and do offer good control while being shorter than the Hogue or Gripper. I was sorta looking for a pair to fit a medium frame Taurus, but they don't make 'em for medium frames. The same Compac I had on my M88 Rossi small frame 5 shot fit my 6 shot M971, but the small frame Taurus doesn't have the same grip as the medium frame, so I went ahead and stuck a Hogue on it. While it is a longer grip, it doesn't really bulge in a good holster that holds the gun tight to the body. I like the way the Compacs fill the palm of the hand and give a place for your pinky while being of an abreviated length, though. It's a good compromise on guns that you can get it for. If they made a Compac that'd fit the M66, I'd probably swap the Hogue over to the 4" gun and put a compac on the 3" gun for IWB duty. It would conceal better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts