Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always said that anything more than a handful is a waste, BUT I have BIG hands. Now I have to ask, being really new to this, does hand size effect your gun choice? I hope this is not a stupid question as I need hear your thoughts. TIA

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hi Tdub! Your question isn't a stupid one (I don't think). I think the answer lies entirely in your preferences. I prefer a gun where my pinky finger has some purchase; I don't like it to just hang off the grip. That being said, the other day I put a Taurus TCP on layaway at my LGS. I want it for pocket carry when one of my larger guns just won't work. I'll probably still use one of my others as my go to gun, but I'd like to have the option of pocket carry. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Only to the point that the gun feels right. I still think I have the corner on stupid questions:D, seriously how are you going to find out anything if you don't ask.

Reactions: Wolf1477 and darbo

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
It definitely affects my choice in handguns. I'm 6'7", and I wear a size 20 shirt with 38/39 inch sleeve length and have to have a 36" inseam in my long pants. Size 14 EEEE shoes so you can guess what size my hands are. There are many handguns that I simply can't get a good enough grip on to shoot well.

Reactions: Sekol and Wolf1477

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 6'1" 280# my hands are still big. I used to tell my kids my hand was big enough I could cover both butt cheeks with one swat! My 2 1911s fit borderline perfect, but would like some other options.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have big hands also and I find the most comfortable gun I held and own is my S&W SD 40 VE it's versatile a good price and it comes in 40 or 9.

·
Registered
294 Posts
At 6'1" 280# my hands are still big. I used to tell my kids my hand was big enough I could cover both butt cheeks with one swat! My 2 1911s fit borderline perfect, but would like some other options.
Tdub, I think you should look into the PT92 (9mm) and PT100 (40sw) series of guns. They are large frame, completely metal guns. Have one myself.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Your question isn't stupid at all. The key is how the pistol feels in your hand. Try lots of different models. Plus keep in mind most of the plastic pistols come with different sized back straps.
When I first started looking for pistols a little over 2 years ago the first time a picked up a Beretta PX4 I knew that was the gun I wanted! Since then I have bought 2 1911s and they offer a good feel to my hand also.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Desert Eagle, N- Frame Smith, or the one gun I found that was too big for me, the Colt New Service/1917.

·
Registered
27,617 Posts
Couple ideas...
Some pistols now come with changeable backstraps.

Custom pistol grips.

Guns that other people think are too big: Para-Ordnance comes to mind. Or Desert Eagle... :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I will try and check them out.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Some guns are more "natural" dependent on your hand size and the weapon configuration. Bottom line, a person can learn to shoot competently with any weapon but one that fits "just right" is a lot more pleasant and you will typically be more accurate with less effort.That's why it's important to try as many as you can to find what you like the best!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Find a range that rents handguns and try as many different size's that you can. In a different time I'd suggest handling as many as you can in gun shops, but we all know what inventory is like. What don't you like about your 1911's?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
You might try a Houge wrap around grip on the 1911. It will ad some girth to your pistol. I really like the feel of it, but am not sure it isn't too wide for me. Haven't had the chance to try it yet since ammo is so hard to find.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I suggest you go to a gun shop and ask to hold different size guns your interested in . If you have a Academy Sports near by they usually have plenty of different gun sizes on hand to try out . What I didn't catch is are you going to OC or CC , and are you looking for a small medium or large gun ?? Right now I have a friend at work that wants a BOND ARM .410 so bad he can't stand it and he is approximately your same size less 40 lbs or so but has med to big hands .

Bond Arms Derringers | The Smallest Most Powerful Personal Protection You Can Carry

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Find a range that rents handguns and try as many different size's that you can. In a different time I'd suggest handling as many as you can in gun shops, but we all know what inventory is like. What don't you like about your 1911's?
I love my 1911...I have 2.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You might try a Houge wrap around grip on the 1911. It will ad some girth to your pistol. I really like the feel of it, but am not sure it isn't too wide for me. Haven't had the chance to try it yet since ammo is so hard to find.
I have the Hogue finger grips. Love 'em!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have rather large hands too and firing smaller firearms can be tough. Some triggers are too close to the grip and I cannot move my trigger finger far enough to fire the weapon.

I have a similar problem with the standard grip on an AR style.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I love my 1911...I have 2.
Let me rephrase my question. Since your 1911's are "borderline perfect" what change would make them perfect?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts