Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Even all good things come to an end. The "Big E" has been a major player in all of recent history. I just hope her replacement is as successful as she has been.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if there will be an Enterprise 2?
I doubt it.

·
Administrator
35,119 Posts

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
The worst thing is that I heard about the "Love Boat" many times being sold as scrap metal, but only Foxnews had the "E" news...

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
I wonder if there will be an Enterprise 2?
I doubt it.
Don't you remember Star Trek the Original series, of course there will be an Enterprise 9 as the current Enterprise was the 8th ship in our navy to carry that name....that name will live as long as mankind if Barry doesn't get us first.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
"The deployment will be the ship's 22nd. Following its return to Virginia in the fall, tens of thousands are expected to be on hand for a deactivation ceremony Dec. 1 that President Barack Obama has been invited to attend."

I sure hope it will also be Barry’s deactivation ceremony.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I did a 10 day cruise on the big boat. *grin* It drove the squids crazy when we said that. It was amazing tho. The A/C still worked!

Sarge

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Don't you remember Star Trek the Original series, of course there will be an Enterprise 9 as the current Enterprise was the 8th ship in our navy to carry that name....that name will live as long as mankind if Barry doesn't get us first.
Considering his view of our future, the next "Big E" will probably use the latest, greatest 'green' sail technology. :D

·
Administrator
35,119 Posts
Considering his view of our future, the next "Big E" will probably use the latest, greatest 'green' sail technology. :D
Big E and her sisters are the flagstaff of green, clean energy. No smoke, nothing left in the water. ;)

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I was on the USS Fechteler (DD870) on my first and second deployment to WestPac. We spent quite a bit of time on North SAR operating with the Enterprise. Hell of a BGB. (Hey Sarge, that means Big Gray Boat - us squids originated some of the terminology claimed by you grunts) :)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was on the USS Fechteler (DD870) on my first and second deployment to WestPac. We spent quite a bit of time on North SAR operating with the Enterprise. Hell of a BGB. (Hey Sarge, that means Big Gray Boat - us squids originated some of the terminology claimed by you grunts) :)
Big "E" is a SHIP, not a boat. If it can fit on the deck of something else, then it's a boat.
So says my Navy Son.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Big "E" is a SHIP, not a boat. If it can fit on the deck of something else, then it's a boat.
So says my Navy Son.
Which is why we loved to say it. *grin* And heck they use the same dang term as well. And some of the so called ships (including older carriers) could be put on the deck of a carrier so...ya just never know. Some day when the space going E is out and about she might be big enough to carry this one!

One problem with a cruise on a nuc tho. Since everything still works they want that puppy spotless all the time. Ever try sweeping non-skid??

Sarge

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A good friend of mine was on the Enterprise for his first duty. Thats the ship he crossed the international date line. And had to pay homage to Neptune.
Equator.

shellback1.jpg

My oldest Son (who is no longer with us) got his on the USS Oliver Hazard Perry, FFG7.
My other Son got his on the USS Carl Vinson, CVN-70.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shellback Initiation - homage to Neptune was for crossing the equator. If you were a Golden Shellback (as am I) you crossed the at the convergence of the Equator and International Dateline.
That had to take some precision navigating.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
So says my Navy Son.
A "boat" is the diminutive and affectionate name for a submarine. A ship is a surface vessel capable of carrying smaller vessels and capable of supporting life at sea for sustained periods of time. However, most of us who have sailed on "ships" also call them boats. Sometimes a term of affection and other times a term of derision.

Reactions: bre346
1 - 20 of 31 Posts