Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Bicycles

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Doctor_Venkman 
#1 ·
Ok, the weather is warming up and I need to get my fat a** back on my bicycle and get some exercise. But I don't want to go out without my gun. Since I have a medium/large frame gun, I don't think a belly band type of holster would be comfortable or practical. I am leaning towards a zippered nylon bag that will attach to the frame of the bike or saddle. Something that is not too large, but still big enough for my gun and some small bike tools.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have been a serious bicyclist for 35 years now and own two road, two mountain and a folding bicycle. When I am on the road bikes, I wear the typical road jersey and shorts. Since this all fits skin tight, it means there is really no way to carry or conceal on my body.

The solution I have used for many years now is a handlebar bag. These are easily found at your local Performance or other local bike shop. This attaches to my handlebars and I use it to carry my firearm, cell phone, wallet and keys. My tools and spare tube go in a saddle bag. I carry the handgun in an opaque zippered nylon case, so when I take it out to go into the store or whatnot, it is not obvious that I have a handgun.

Other popular options include a fanny pack slung around the back or a backpack or Camelbak. If you wear more loose-fitting clothing, you can conceal under that just as you would normally. One of the reasons that I don't carry on my body is the concern of landing on the firearm should I crash the bicycle. I am reasonably sure that will leave a mark.

#5 ·
joe sixpack said:
i've also seen nylon pouches that fit between the two parallel bars of the frame near the front, seems like that would be a good choice.
That's what I originally had in mind. I need to hit the local bike shop and see what they have, I guess.

#6 ·
there are plenty of handlebar bags out there even wal- mart carries them

#7 ·
#8 ·
The Cannondale Toot is a nice little bag. My wife has one. I prefer a Rivendell candybar bag. It's canvas with a real zipper and leather straps. Get a smallish seat bag for your extra tube and tools, then get a handlebar bag for all your extras. I even keep my minipump in my handlebar bag.
I gave up on the skin tight jerseys, they're too tight for my big guy and too hot in the warm weather down here in Florida. I just use a coolmax or polyester tshirt. Nice and light, doesn't absorb sweat and loose as a goose. Never did like stuffing stuff in those back pockets.

#9 ·
The only thing I'll add is the idea that if the gun is attached to the bike you will lose the gun if you lose the bike. If the gun in on you (fanny pack etc) the bike can be grabbed and you still have the gun. Plus with a fanny pack you can have all the normal type stuff you carry in there (wallet, keys, cash, phone etc).

Camelback does make both a fanny pack and a back-pack that have hydration bladders and a spot to conceal a firearm. The site doesn't let me give a direct link but select Law Enforcement and then Hydration Packs. You will see an option for Concealed Weapons.
http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

Steelheart

#11 ·
Steelheart said:
The only thing I'll add is the idea that if the gun is attached to the bike you will lose the gun if you lose the bike. If the gun in on you (fanny pack etc) the bike can be grabbed and you still have the gun. Plus with a fanny pack you can have all the normal type stuff you carry in there (wallet, keys, cash, phone etc).

Camelback does make both a fanny pack and a back-pack that have hydration bladders and a spot to conceal a firearm. The site doesn't let me give a direct link but select Law Enforcement and then Hydration Packs. You will see an option for Concealed Weapons.

Steelheart
I don't plan on being separated from the bike unless I have a wreck or something. If I get off of it to go into a store or something, I will take the fun with me.

Most of my riding is in very rural areas. Lots of farms and hills. I want to keep the gun on me mostly for four legged predators like coyotes and wild dogs. It is entirely possible that I might run across some drunk ******** straight out of Deliverance that don't take kindly to sissy boys ridin' bike sikles.

#13 ·
I have have a Haro v3 mt. bike that i use around here where i live I've been cycling for about 8 years on trails but i really don't do the street thing so my needs my not be your needs i am in the woods so not to many people but i suggest a Camelbak it gives you a place to put your piece and also a water pack with a tube that goes to your mouth (i don't leave my house without it, it is great) they run from 30 bucks to 80 bucks. if you get one go for the 40-50 dollar one it will be good for your needs, no need for the most expensive one. or if you don't care about the water factor wal-mart, academy sells a underarmour(also other brands) active vest which would also give you a place to put pistol pete.

http://www.thebentleys.com/camelbak/camelbak1.jpg

http://www.finnrappel.fi/Camelbak.jpg

#14 ·
One of the reasons I like a handlebar bag on my road bikes is that a backpack or fanny pack is not very comfortable for me. This is because of the more bent-over/aerodynamic position I have on my road bikes. In addition, carrying anything on my back only serves to trap the sweat. When I am trail riding on my mountain bikes, a backpack is a more viable option, since I have a more upright position, and I am not sweating as much.

On the bicycling forums, I have read of other road bikers who can carry a small Kel-Tec in a rear jersey pocket. My usual carry in the handlebar bag is a small-frame revolver. When I am on my titanium road bike, I like to carry my Taurus titanium revolver for the bling factor!

#15 ·
I agree with millcreek to an extent. Most of my riding is on the road bent over. Either the fanny pack, back pack, or the jogger's pack I think will be too uncomfortable for me. I am a pretty big guy. 6'4" 285+ lbs. So I think one of those packs is going to be too restrictive. That's mainly why I am leaning towards a bike mounted bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of bag?

#16 ·
I own 3 camel backs in different sizes two original and one I got at Sams they all work great even the cheap one from sams.

#17 ·
Yes, I have that exact frame bag that fits in my road bikes. The problem for me is that I have two water bottle cages, and I usually carry high-capacity (1 liter) water bottles in them. The frame bag essentially blocks access to both bottle cages for me. My two road bikes are classic geometry, and one measures 54 cm and the other measures 56 cm. Perhaps a larger bike frame, such as you no doubt have, would not have this problem.

#19 ·
Doctor_Venkman said:
BUt Wal-Mart won't let me see if my gun will fit. But then again they have a great return policy. :D
Take it in the dressing room, Doc. :)

Just be sure that you don't let your bike get stolen, like Steelheart said......personally I think I'd rather wear my fanny pack and keep it there, even if I pulled it over to the side.

#20 ·
Not a bad idea TTG!

I was in my local bike shop yesterday and looked at one that was very similar to this one:

It had a stiff plastic liner that held the shape of the bag. At first I wasn't too sure about it. I thought it was a bit large. But now that I have thought about it, I could attach a cheap kydex holster to that plastic on the inside so that the gun would stay put and I wouldn't have to hunt for it if I needed it.

Anyone know where I can get raw kydex?

#21 ·
Doctor_Venkman said:
Not a bad idea TTG!

It had a stiff plastic liner that held the shape of the bag. At first I wasn't too sure about it. I thought it was a bit large. But now that I have thought about it, I could attach a cheap kydex holster to that plastic on the inside so that the gun would stay put and I wouldn't have to hunt for it if I needed it.

Anyone know where I can get raw kydex?
What about molding one out of leather, and fastening that to the plastic. You can wet mold, just like was done on the pocket holster in this section.

#23 ·
This is the bag I looked at yesterday at my local bike shop. They didn't have much to choose from and I didn't like it at first. But after thinking about it, it might be what will work best for me. They were asking $29.99 for it. This site has the same bag for $17.80

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.