Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
Is it just the northwest or do morons ride bikes in traffic where you live? It's the latte drinking, Birkenstock wearing, Treehuggin, "Green" car drivin, save the spotted owl bumper sticker on my subaru, the i'm better than you because i ride my bike when its 38 degrees pooring down rain because i live Portland Or. Hey just asking?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
When I first saw this I thought it said Mormons not morons. There was a talk guy in Atlanta (Kim Peterson) that would always rant about this. If they were on the road they'd act like they're a car, but on a sidewalk or bike path they're a bike. He'd say (mimicking the riders), "I'm a bike, I'm a car, I'm a bike, I'm a car..."

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
We have problems in the Uk with the 'lycra louts' as we call them.

They ride through stop lights, up one way streets the wrong way, out of junctions without looking, on the pavements (sidewalks) they ride through pedestrian crossings when the lights are on green for the pedestrian - I could go on and on.........

The best one was on my way to work. as you may know, we have some strange set ups on our country roads. In this instance there is a narrow bridge over a canal, only wide enough for one lane of traffic and you cannot see what is coming the other way. Consequently it is controlled by traffic lights to stop head-on collisions.

However, this jerk was so used to ignoring traffic lights he rode onto the bridge through a stop light. Fortunately (for any drivers coming the other way, not for the jerk) there was no oncoming traffic.

If there had been, there was nowhere to go, he would have been toast. The crazy thing is that the law states that if there is an accident involving a bicycle and any other vehicle it is assumed that it is the drivers fault!

These jerks use this as a get out of jail free card and ride like idiots.

Having said all that, most ride ok, it's just the few that stand out and give the rest a bad name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You find bicycle riders everywhere. My son is one of them. He races and competes in Iron Man competitions. I don't suggest calling him a moron however, because regardless of his intelligence he is in very good shape.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
In Maine we have very narrow roads with no paved shoulders and lots of crazy people on bikes when it is warm. When driving on a hilly, twisting and turning country "highway" doing the posted 45MPH you come around a turn or over a hill and right in front of you is the pinheaded bike rider in the middle of the lane making no attempt to move to the right and only going 5 MPH. The bicyclist has been hearing the vehicle approach for the last 2 miles because of wind and tire noise (I don't drive a Prius) and takes no action to insure their safety, they just take the "the laws on my side" position and stick to the middle of the lane.

I feel sorry for the guy's who drive the logging trucks on these roads, try scrubbing 40 MPH in 20 feet when running 100,000 lbs.

When a car hits a bicycle it is assumed to be the car drivers fault.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have always felt, if they are going to use the road like they do, they should have to license AND insure their bikes just as WE have to do to our cars. I used to ride a lot in my younger days, but kept to the sidewalks or the shoulder. Like the Occupy types, they are micro-cephalics just looking for attention.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
I usually try to avoid broad, sweeping generalizations of people because I have not achieved the art of reading their minds or intentions. I also usually try to avoid seriously injuring or killing pedestrians, motorcyclists, or cyclists with my vehicle which weighs thousands of pounds more than the one I am driving. Just saying.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I am amazed that more bicyclist and pedestrians around Universities are not ran over. Both seem to be in La La land most of the time as to being aware of automobile traffic. A few months back, a couple of Mormans do owe their lives to me for me being aware and not wanting to have to wash blood off the front of my Yukon!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I ride bicycles, but I don't ride on busy roads and highways. I actually prefer to ride on the bike paths and bike trails. We have a lot of bike riders here in Florida! We manage to kill a couple of them a month just here in Jacksonville. It's a problem and both sides are at fault. The law considers the cyclist as a vehicle operator and gives them equal rights to the roadways. I'm O.K. with that as long as they actually follow the rules of the road. You know, stop at stop signs, signal their turns, yield to faster and turning traffic, etc. Motorists should also look out for the cyclist; get off the cell phone, stop texting your friends, and pay attention to whats going on on the road. Both sides are at fault.

That said, I will say the just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Riding a bicycle on a busy highway with no bike lane and no shoulders may be legal but it's also stupid! Sure you've got a right to be there ................... but you may end up dead right!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I ride a motorcycle 90 percent of the time and get scared reading the frustrated rant from a cage driver who obviously has a greater right to the road because of the size of his vehicle. Good job on the name calling.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I ride a motorcycle 90 percent of the time and get scared reading the frustrated rant from a cage driver who obviously has a greater right to the road because of the size of his vehicle. Good job on the name calling.
Motorcycles are an entirely different topic. Most Harley riders are very careful and obey the rules of the road or street. Most reports of accidents involving Harley riders usually happen around 2 am and involve Booze, either with the Harley rider or the car driver that hits them. The majority of the Harley accidents in Lubbock over the past couple of years were at 2 am and did not involve another vehicle. Crotch Rocket riders are another subject entirely.

·
Administrator
39,391 Posts
I see the bicycle rally groups often. The light weight bikes and painted on clothes to match. They come out of Lubbock on US84, riding the improved shoulder, in route to the canyon area near me. That ain't to bad. They then come down my road, a black top county road. They'll stay to the right, but won't get over at all when oncoming traffic approaches, or when it comes up from behind. They're really a hassle out on FM400, where the speed limit is 70. I've seen as many as 50 at a time.

Kind of crazy, these folks thinkin' their little bikes are a challenge to 4000 lb. autos and loaded semi rigs.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The difference between a bike and a motorcycle is that motorcycles can keep up with traffic. You seldom come around a turn and find yourself right on a powered two wheelers rear end. Bicycles on the other hand travel at a much lower speed, and present more of a traffic hazard, IMHO. There's one road in particular that I drive a lot - it's windy and runs through a forest, and the bicyclists seem to love getting their exercise there. Getting run over seems like a really bad way to stay in shape, if you ask me.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I see the bicycle rally groups often. The light weight bikes and painted on clothes to match. They come out of Lubbock on US84, riding the improved shoulder, in route to the canyon area near me. That ain't to bad. They then come down my road, a black top county road. They'll stay to the right, but won't get over at all when oncoming traffic approaches, or when it comes up from behind. They're really a hassle out on FM400, where the speed limit is 70. I've seen as many as 50 at a time.

Kind of crazy, these folks thinkin' their little bikes are a challenge to 4000 lb. autos and loaded semi rigs.
They just realize no one wants the hassle of defending themselves for running over their spandex asses!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I ride bicycles, but I don't ride on busy roads and highways. I actually prefer to ride on the bike paths and bike trails. We have a lot of bike riders here in Florida! We manage to kill a couple of them a month just here in Jacksonville. It's a problem and both sides are at fault. The law considers the cyclist as a vehicle operator and gives them equal rights to the roadways. I'm O.K. with that as long as they actually follow the rules of the road. You know, stop at stop signs, signal their turns, yield to faster and turning traffic, etc. Motorists should also look out for the cyclist; get off the cell phone, stop texting your friends, and pay attention to whats going on on the road. Both sides are at fault.

That said, I will say the just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Riding a bicycle on a busy highway with no bike lane and no shoulders may be legal but it's also stupid! Sure you've got a right to be there ................... but you may end up dead right!
I agree with you BS. I do wish their were laws making them carry insurance and pay taxes if they ride on the roads and streets. That may sound harsh but now if a person loses their right to drive due to DUI's or Reckless Driving Convictions, they just go out and buy a bike or a Scooter. No Insurance, No license required, many state don't require helmets and some scooters will run up to about 40 mph. Both bikes and scooters should have to obey all traffic laws and yield to faster traffic. Theres nothing like trying to get through Capel Hill at 7 to 9 AM and 3:30 to 6 PM while driving my truck and pulling a 22 ft. boat and dodging the educated idiots with their speedos and turned up noses.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
We have alot of riders here and i have a nice bike for me and the wife but we stay out of traffic where we can . But i don't have too much choice where to ride where there isn't any traffic . But on busy streets or main roads and highways those that ride inside the traffic lane i have no respect for cause they are slowing down traffic and they DON'T have the right away reguardless what anyone says !! Now if the city has marked a bicycle lane as some cities do then i as a driver also repect that and stay out of it but alot of drivers do not and this is disrepectful IMHO . What gets me tho is why some riders have been killed when they were way out away from main traffic on a seldom driven road and they stay out of traffic lane but some DA will be drunk or playing on his/her celphone or just being plain stupid and run over a single bike rider ???

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
They are everywhere here! all a bunch of Lance Armstrong wanna bees!

My message to them if you cant do the posted speed minimum (lets face it thats what the word limit on that sign means!) then get off the road! :mad: Unless you pay vehicle registration on your little bike like I do for my vehicles then get off the road! :mad:

They have no place on the roads unless they can do the speed of the flow of traffic and pay to use them just like I do!

That being said, I am slightly more lenient to those who use them as a form of transportation and not just as an excuse to wear spandex!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Here in Charleston we have an advocacy group for bicyclists. They promote "share the road" and bike lanes. The city requires that bikes that are ridden downtown be registered and they have began stricter enforcement of bicycle laws. I agree with both sides. We have a few bike lanes and I rarely encounter bikes on the road. So it is no problem for me.

If I lived closer to work I'd probably bike to work. There are morons everywhere, some of them happen to ride a bike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
First of all, after due consideration, I don't think the OP is referring to everyone who rides a bicycle as a "moron". But he is clearly disgusted with those who ride bicycles carelessly, and inconsiderately. So am I.

The ordinary fellow depicted in the photo is Yours Truly. I just rode twenty miles to the firing range I normally drive to for a practice session.

Although my wife and I each own a perfectly operational motor vehicle, I prefer to walk or bicycle to and from my destinations whenever I get the opportunity to do so. I also perform a rigorous circuit training regimen three times a week, combined with a healthy diet, to help keep several chronic health problems in check. As a result, at 5' 10" I weigh 180 pounds, and have a 32" waist, which is not bad for a man who is 55. ;)

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
I also take offense to the "moron" comment.

Yeah, I ride a bicycle about 150 miles a week minimum. Yeah, I wear spandex. Not for the way it looks, but because it is designed for that type of riding. (Has pads sewn in, etc.)

I am fortunate that I have a high speed bike trail that runs along the parkway near my home. It's good enough for me. But for others who ride in groups, and longer distances, it sometimes is not.

There are laws stating that you must give bicyclists 3 feet of room when passing. Hardly anyone does. The ones that do not are the morons.

Everyone is in a hurry, and can't wait a few seconds until it is safe to pass the cyclists. People don't realize that they ride in groups for a reason. It is drafting. They constantly switch out from the front to the back.

Not being motorized, you can't just pull over and allow people to go by. You must maintain your momentum, especially on inclines.

My hackles are up a little bit, but I won't comment any further.

Be patient and courteous, as you should when sharing the road with ANY TYPE of vehicles or pedestrians.

BTW, I've ridden with groups of injured veterans who are missing their lower limbs, and have specially designed cycles that they "pedal" with their arms. I suppose if they held you up for a few minutes, they would be called "morons" also.

Gimme a friggin' break :mad:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts