Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
23,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if you've gotta get bit.

I put a hundred rounds through my TCP today. All FMJ Tulammo, and the TCP wasn't too fond of it. There were about 3 failures to feed, but I'm putting it down to poor grip. When I concentrated and squeezed the heck out of the grip, I never had any failures. I think I might try some more grip tape. I've been shooting for almost 30 years, but these tiny .380s take some getting used to. By the end of the 100 rounds, I was twice bitten:

Skin Nose Finger Hand Lip

I blame this one on the slide release. You know, the one that other micro .380s don't have and is part of why I chose this pistol. :D

This one is from the inside of the trigger guard. Need to do a bit more shaving.
Finger Skin Nail Hand Close-up

So what's up with the thread title, you ask? Well, I was driving home from the canyon where I like to shoot, and adjusted course to avoid a branch in the road. Then I asked myself, "was there a branch in the road on the way out? I don't think so..." So, I did a 3-point and headed back to the "branch." Here's who was waiting for me:

Reptile Lizard Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Gecko

Reptile Snake Sidewinder Scaled reptile Rattlesnake

·
23,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reptile Snake Viper Sidewinder Scaled reptile

Snake Reptile Viper Scaled reptile Rattlesnake

Reptile Scaled reptile Sidewinder Terrestrial animal Snake

Snake Rattlesnake Viper Sidewinder Reptile

Good think I was driving, and not hiking with one or more of the dogs; he'd have lost his head in that case. He's a western diamondback, if anyone's curious. Only the eastern diamondback causes more fatalities.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,717 Posts
All poisonous snakes die, non poisonous snakes are relocated or ignored. Just my $0.02.
BTW I've had the slide bite experience, not good!

·
Administrator
41,047 Posts
I go out of my way to destroy those. Others, not so much. If you're careful, the skins make nice accessories and clothing articles. If you know someone that likes fooling with the nasty things. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
28,654 Posts
Snake doesn't bother me, I don't bother it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
As dangerous as they can be, they give warning (most of the time), and actually do a lot of good. They keep the jack population down and we all know jacks can do a lot of damage to good pasture, and they are pure death to the woodrat population too. I've only had to kill one and I was boxed in with little choice since I didn't have my walking stick with me (it's almost 6' long) 38 special snake shot got the job done.

·
23,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about killing it for the skin, but they keep the rodent populations down, and rodents around here carry plague. Black death. Also, it was just simply more trouble than I felt like dealing with. How to safely handle the body, would the head be blown clear off by a .40 or not, etc. Heck with it; he hasn't hurt me, I'll let him live. He's got the right, as long as he's not endangering me or mine. Always wanted to see one in the wild when I had my camera, so thank you Jake and off you go.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Me over here. Snake over there. Both happier.

·
Super Moderator
14,249 Posts
The snake is happy, GhostHorse is happy, the readers are happy. Everybody happy, happy, happy.

Well, everyone except the snake haters.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Holy Cow GhostHorse, You were a busy guy today. Shooting pictures of very nice guns, Shooting a TCP till you bled, and dancing with snakes.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
OH GH- great pics here and on the other thread. I always wish I have my camera when we go to the sporstman club to shoot - but I never think to take it. Glad you went aback to take the picture of the rattler 'cause this is the closest I EVER want to be to one!:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put a hundred rounds through my TCP today. All FMJ Tulammo, and the TCP wasn't too fond of it.
Careful with that Tula stuff. I let slip to Taurus that I had used some when I sent mine in for warranty and the lady on the phone told me it could void the warranty. Of course I told her I meant to say Winchester White Box. Anyway the only good poisonous snake is a dead one. Two people in my town in the last week are in the hospital for Cotton Mouth bites. Of course they don't come with a warning.

·
23,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy Cow GhostHorse, You were a busy guy today. Shooting pictures of very nice guns, Shooting a TCP till you bled, and dancing with snakes.
Not bad for a sick day. And I really was sick; snotting like a camel chewing tobacco, fever, cough... you should see what I can do when I'm up to snuff!

Note to self; talk to mods about changing username to "DancesWithSnakes".

Careful with that Tula stuff. I let slip to Taurus that I had used some when I sent mine in for warranty and the lady on the phone told me it could void the warranty. Of course I told her I meant to say Winchester White Box. Anyway the only good poisonous snake is a dead one. Two people in my town in the last week are in the hospital for Cotton Mouth bites. Of course they don't come with a warning.
Actually, I just double checked and the brass headstamps all say Winchester! Wow!

When I stationed at Fort Knox, one of the bomb techs got bitten by a copperhead. His hand swelled up to the size of his head.

This guy serenaded me with his rattle pretty well. It was exactly like it sounds like in the movies.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That baby would have made a good pot of rattlesnake stew! It taste like chicken.....

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I thought this was going to be a "Why I chose the TCP over the Diamond Back .380 thread."

Great pics of the snake.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
580 Posts
Throw that thing in the front door in miami. No taurus's tcp in 3 county area. Except that white one i bought. I need another tcp.

Check out: john boy & billy radio show before ya loose ya mind.

"liberty is never safer as when politicians are scared". ted cruz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts