Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently been carrying a backup gun more often than not. Having been into shooting for my lifetime the one thing I’ve learned for sure is that no matter how reliable a machine is it can quit when needed most. Nothing is immune to this. Ask me about a brand new Glock 19 I once had. (Nothing against Glock, more often than not they are very reliable) So I already had this little .380 a F.I. Industries model D. It was the gun that was supposed to be the first Colt Pony. Colt even listed it in one of there catalogs one year but it never came to be but think Colt pony size. This one is reliable I’ve read that’s not always the case with these. So I’ve been carrying it in a avenger style holster strong side behind my main carry gun more towards the 5 o’clock ish area. But that’s too much weight in one area. Thinking about a cross draw but that seems harder to conceal. Or maybe just a straight up left hand holster. I’m definitely slower to draw left handed but if I’m that far down the rabbit hole I think just having the backup will be the most important thing. So how do the guys that carry backups prefer to carry it. And what do you carry for that matter. Also ankle holsters and shoulder rigs are out for me in most cases.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Waiting to read what others do as well? I don't carry a backup because the added weight and hard enough to conceal one at work. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waiting to read what others do as well? I don't carry a backup because the added weight and hard enough to conceal one at work. :)
I definitely think the added weight is too much on the same side although I’ve been dealing with it, but I also always wear 1-3/4 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick gun belts. I can only imagine what it would be like with a thinner belt. I see your in Missouri also any chance your near Kc

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little pistol like that would be best served either by (weak side) pocket carry or in an ankle holster.
The ankle carry is out for me due to access and wardrobe constants. I considered and tried pocket carry and honestly I can’t get used to that much weight in my pocket. I feel like maybe cargo pants would do better but I’m a jeans kinda guy. Also it takes me forever to fish anything out my pockets. But thanks for your suggestions. I’m curious, have you used an ankle holster? Do you have a technique to access the gun faster? I’m very awkward drawing from a ankle holster but maybe I shouldn’t count it out. Maybe I just haven’t learned the proper technique and trained with said technique.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Can't help you. Don't carry more than one at a time.

I do, however, keep one in the center console of the truck. I'm left handed and between the seat contour, the proximity of the door and the seat belt, I can't get to my carry gun while behind the wheel. As a remedy for the situation, I keep one in the console in a generic "gun bucket" holster that's mounted to the driver's side of the console insert. It's holstered butt forward so I can either cross draw with the dominant hand or cavalry or twist draw with the off hand.

Reactions: dogchild and mingaa

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am right handed. I carry my primary about 4-4:30 IWB for a strong hand draw. I carry my backup at 10:30-11:00 IWB for a weak hand draw. The primary is either a Keltec P11 or an EAA Witness poly in 10mm. The backup is a Taurus 85NV. I carry a reload for the primary at 7:30 -8. I like carrying this way because at allows easy access to a gun with either hand. It also allows me to draw and defend my self with either hand if I am being assaulted or there is a gun grab attempt.

·
22,981 Posts
If I carried a backup, it would be with the primary pistol on the strong side hip OWB. The backup would be a TCP in a hip pocket holster. Light and very, very easy to carry.

Reactions: Falstaff

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I don't carry a bug, I dont even carry a second mag most of the time unless it's a single stack.

I figure the likelihood of needing any gun is very low, the likelihood of needing two guns is zero. If it comes to it, I have a knife, if that doesn't work... It's my time.

If I had to carry two, it'd be my Kahr cm40 in a undertech t shirt.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The only time I've ever carried more than one at a time was right after a hurricane came through and I had to go check on the restaurant I was managing.

The radio reported that there was possible looting in the area, so I put a pair of Hi Powers on (one strong side, the other on the off side butt forward so it was available to either hand), filled every mag carrier I had along with every pocket of my field coat with 13 round mags (there was a 17 rounder in each gun and I only had 2 of them). On the way out the door, I grabbed a 1917 Smith loaded with 230gr Starfires (the original design) and a couple spare full moons as a 'car gun' 'cause nothing says, "Get up off of me NOW," quite like a large bore on a firearm.

It's amazing that I didn't clank when I walked (as one of my cop buddies laughingly pointed out when we met a little later on) but if there was gonna be a party held in my honor, I didn't reckon on being found lacking for party favors.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems a lot of people don’t bother with a backup. To each their own for sure and I definitely don’t always got out with 2 guns. Sometimes I go out with one very small gun. Mainly I carry 2 guns at my part time job at the LGS. There seems to be quite a few LGS that get hit here for robbery and they often don’t wait till everyone has gone home. The last one I heard about locally the owner faced three armed men and expended 2 full mags and his wife 1 full mag from her gun. They fought off the thugs but it cost the owner his life. His wife said he ran out of ammo before it was over and was shot before she came from the back of the building and opened fire. All the bad guys were hit and I believe one died later. Unfortunately you never know how it will go if it ever does go. You can’t be sure it will be one, two or five. Personally I feel when I’m at that job it probably increases the odds that it will happen. Because of that I’m giving myself every advantage I can. So I have no issue with anyone who carries no backup. But I want to hear from those that do.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I usually carry the primary gun at the 1:30 position or in a pocket holster in that area, and the backup gun at the 3:30 to 4:30 position. I carry the spare ammo around the 10:00ish position in a small Husky tool bag that looks similar to a 1970's calculator case. I also use two of the same guns in a primary/backup situation, as it makes it easier to carry spare magazines or speed strips. At the present time, those guns in the primary/backup role are Ruger LC9s semi autos, with 4 7 round magazines in reserve. I have also used two Taurus 85 revolvers and 4 speed strips in the same configuration.

The only time I will vary this is when I am fishing in the woods north and east of Phoenix, where there have been bears in the area. Here, I will carry a Ruger GP100 with 180 grain bear loads in the primary location, and a Taurus 85 with snake shot loads in the backup position. I then will carry two speed strips each of bear loads and snake loads.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
I once had a patrol sergeant, that had one half of a snap installed on the inside of a boot top, by a local boot shop. He epoxied the other half of the snap to the side of a small semi-auto. Never tried anything like that myself, but I know he carried it for years. Worked for him. The imagination, is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The ankle carry is out for me due to access and wardrobe constants. I considered and tried pocket carry and honestly I can’t get used to that much weight in my pocket. I feel like maybe cargo pants would do better but I’m a jeans kinda guy. Also it takes me forever to fish anything out my pockets. But thanks for your suggestions. I’m curious, have you used an ankle holster? Do you have a technique to access the gun faster? I’m very awkward drawing from a ankle holster but maybe I shouldn’t count it out. Maybe I just haven’t learned the proper technique and trained with said technique.
I haven't really used an ankle holster, but have been considering the BUGbite...BUGbite

One of my co-workers recently starting using it and says it's the most comfortable ankle holster he's ever used (with the possible exception of a Galco that's quite a bit more bulky), I would imagine they do take some practice to be able to draw from, and would not choose this method for a primary but for a back-up I could work with it.

For pocket some prefer front pocket, others prefer back (I'd choose front) If you're going to use cargo pockets, you might need a holster designed for that pocket as I would imagine the pistol would shift around too much in a standard pocket holster (which could also be true in larger "regular" pants pockets as well I guess)

Might try a belly band or Pistolwear.com or one of the holster undershirts (or kangaroo carry?)

Best of luck, hope you find something that works well for you....

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Seems a lot of people don’t bother with a backup. To each their own for sure and I definitely don’t always got out with 2 guns. Sometimes I go out with one very small gun. Mainly I carry 2 guns at my part time job at the LGS. There seems to be quite a few LGS that get hit here for robbery and they often don’t wait till everyone has gone home. The last one I heard about locally the owner faced three armed men and expended 2 full mags and his wife 1 full mag from her gun. They fought off the thugs but it cost the owner his life. His wife said he ran out of ammo before it was over and was shot before she came from the back of the building and opened fire. All the bad guys were hit and I believe one died later. Unfortunately you never know how it will go if it ever does go. You can’t be sure it will be one, two or five. Personally I feel when I’m at that job it probably increases the odds that it will happen. Because of that I’m giving myself every advantage I can. So I have no issue with anyone who carries no backup. But I want to hear from those that do.
Working the counter at a gun shop is a whole different story. When I was doing it, I had at least 2 on me with one of my own staged nearby and the store guns under the register and in the office.

Butwalking around every day? Nah, I don't bother with backups.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I only carry a BUG if I know I will be in a bad area. I carry my LC9S pro OWB strong side and my lcp in my pocket weak side

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My backup in an old Stevens double barrel 12 gauge that lives under the seat of my truck....

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't carry a backup gun anymore, but when I used to it was pocket carry with duty gun on the belt open carry. I have a couple of acquaintances who are basically forced to carry two guns, because they are in situations where they are not allowed to carry a semi auto with one in the chamber. :( So what they do to get around this is to carry a small revolver for close in defense, and their primary gun is actually the BUG, assuming it is safe to use both hands to chamber a round. I know one of them carries the small revolver in his boot and the Glock IWB, don't know about the other.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
On the few times I have carried a bug I carried it in a belly band holster left side up high partially under my arm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts