Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming hollow points, just wondering what has been trouble free in the GC3? I have had not the best results with ZSR ammo (misfires, center dented but no bang). Only shot FMJ, but other than the ZSR, have had no trouble at all with other brands. I'm working on my sandbag range and hope to be shooting hollow point in the next week. What defense ammo have you found to be reliable with this gun?

· Registered
47 Posts
I'm assuming hollow points, just wondering what has been trouble free in the GC3? I have had not the best results with ZSR ammo (misfires, center dented but no bang). Only shot FMJ, but other than the ZSR, have had no trouble at all with other brands. I'm working on my sandbag range and hope to be shooting hollow point in the next week. What defense ammo have you found to be reliable with this gun?
Have you tried Barnes XPD JHP 115 grain?

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried Barnes XPD JHP 115 grain?
No. I did get some SIERRA OUTDOOR MASTER 9MM AMMO 115 GRAIN JHP. Got 800 rounds of that. I've shot nothing except FMJ so far. I've got 6 acres but there are people on the other side of the lake from me, and I'm afraid to shoot those bullets very much. Making a sandbag backstop to my target range. Want to get that done first, it's a big job. Hoping to find someone who has really really trained a lot in the GC3 so I can secure their brand of ammo and prepare. It's going to take a few hundred shots to be comfortable with it. I'm not currently carrying. Reliability is not such an issue at my house because I've got a lot of guns loaded and they won't all malfunction. But in the situation where you're outside your property, you must strive to eliminate all possible problems. Trying to get the GC3 and my Ruger LCP ready to carry. I intend to carry 2 guns It's just a long process to prepare and you cannot afford any mistakes.

· Registered
17,922 Posts
Its hard to argue against the Federal HST, I stick with 124gn because its same as my practice ammo
BINGO. I've carried 9mm HST hollow points, in both 124 and 147 grain loads for several years, and have the upmost faith in them. And it only takes a few minutes of video research to know why when you look at expansion characteristics. And there are several videos on this site to help you decide what you need.

Reactions: Tracker627

· Registered
51 Posts
No. I did get some SIERRA OUTDOOR MASTER 9MM AMMO 115 GRAIN JHP. Got 800 rounds of that. I've shot nothing except FMJ so far. I've got 6 acres but there are people on the other side of the lake from me, and I'm afraid to shoot those bullets very much. Making a sandbag backstop to my target range. Want to get that done first, it's a big job. Hoping to find someone who has really really trained a lot in the GC3 so I can secure their brand of ammo and prepare. It's going to take a few hundred shots to be comfortable with it. I'm not currently carrying. Reliability is not such an issue at my house because I've got a lot of guns loaded and they won't all malfunction. But in the situation where you're outside your property, you must strive to eliminate all possible problems. Trying to get the GC3 and my Ruger LCP ready to carry. I intend to carry 2 guns It's just a long process to prepare and you cannot afford any mistakes.
I may not have understood that this was more for volume practice, if thats the case I highly recomend the hp from Freedom munitions. Extremely clean high performance ammo.

· Registered
108 Posts
Sellier & Bellot 115 gr in FMJ and JHP. Best prices around here and it goes BANG every time.

· Registered
614 Posts
My GC3 tends to not be quite as reliable as I would want with an open nosed JHP so I use Hornady Critical Defense in it. Works great. Obviously I have never had to use it in actual defense but at least I know with the Hornady it will do what it's supposed to do. My G2S will eat any JHP I choose to feed it. Not sure why the difference but it's there. My Bodyguard .380 gets Hornady CD as well. Here too because of the size of the feed ramp it's my theory a more streamlined bullet will load more reliably

Reactions: 45 Forever

· Registered
38,514 Posts
SIMPLE!
if you are talking about self defense ammo then its the cartridge that works 110% of the time in your particular weapon.
if you find more than one that does this then move forward from there with research and test.
at the end of the day as long as its a modern hollow point then shot placement is going to matter more than the name on the box of the ammo.

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My GC3 tends to not be quite as reliable as I would want with an open nosed JHP so I use Hornady Critical Defense in it. Works great. Obviously I have never had to use it in actual defense but at least I know with the Hornady it will do what it's supposed to do. My G2S will eat any JHP I choose to feed it. Not sure why the difference but it's there. My Bodyguard .380 gets Hornady CD as well. Here too because of the size of the feed ramp it's my theory a more streamlined bullet will load more reliably
I can certainly get Hornaday at Bass Pro. It's too expensive to shoot for practice, but after making sure it works with the gun, I can carry that with no problem. I've also got a Ruger PC carbine 9mm rifle and a Taurus GC2. The Ruger eats anything I throw at it, so I can get rid of my not so compatible ammo like the ZSR. I've already got several thousand rounds though, and just need to pick up something like the Hornaday that I am 100% certain of for carry. One thing I'll say for the ZSR misfires. They do offer a training opportunity to quickly clear a misfire and get back to shooting. I just don't want to buy any more.

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SIMPLE!
if you are talking about self defense ammo then its the cartridge that works 110% of the time in your particular weapon.
if you find more than one that does this then move forward from there with research and test.
at the end of the day as long as its a modern hollow point then shot placement is going to matter more than the name on the box of the ammo.
That's why I'm asking other GC3 owners what works well for them.

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sellier & Bellot 115 gr in FMJ and JHP. Best prices around here and it goes BANG every time.
Don't doubt it's good ammo, but shipping is a killer. I've got a few years of range ammo saved up, just going to go to my Bass Pro shop and get some Hornaday Defense. I only need maybe 100 rounds to shoot and have it loaded for business.

· Registered
4,823 Posts
That's why I'm asking other GC3 owners what works well for them.
That could serve as a baseline, but be sure to fire plenty before you bet your life. As olfarhors noted, use what works best in your gun. Each one is different and could vary just by the number of rounds fired. Even your zsr ammo could start working after a few (hundred) rounds of something else.

Reactions: olfarhors

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That could serve as a baseline, but be sure to fire plenty before you bet your life. As olfarhors noted, use what works best in your gun. Each one is different and could vary just by the number of rounds fired. Even your zsr ammo could start working after a few (hundred) rounds of something else.
Of course, I'm going to vet the ammo. Don't think the ZSR will work in theG3C. Center dented pretty good, but no bang. Could just be a bad run. It's cheap ammo you train with. I'll burn it up in the next couple of months.

· Registered
108 Posts
Don't doubt it's good ammo, but shipping is a killer. I've got a few years of range ammo saved up, just going to go to my Bass Pro shop and get some Hornaday Defense. I only need maybe 100 rounds to shoot and have it loaded for business.
In my post I mention, "around here." Meaning I buy from one of the three local gun stores. The S&B is some of what they have that's reassembly priced and I don't have to pay shipping. Since I buy both FMJ & JHP in the same weight, that's a plus. I've had good range results with both.
BTW, there are Ammo sites that have free shipping if you buy a minimum.

· Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In my post I mention, "around here." Meaning I buy from one of the three local gun stores. The S&B is some of what they have that's reassembly priced and I don't have to pay shipping. Since I buy both FMJ & JHP in the same weight, that's a plus. I've had good range results with both.
BTW, there are Ammo sites that have free shipping if you buy a minimum.
I'm already sitting on so much 9mm ammo that I'm only buying carry ammo now. I'm just going to grab the Hornaday and see that it shoots. I'm well versed in Ammoseek. Right now, I'm really buying the ultimate survival round, which is 22lr. Picking up 5k a month now. Going to do it for the next year. Just bought a bolt action Rossi 22. Prepping, ya know :)

· Registered
7,607 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts