Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to find posts showing velocity stats for short barreled revolvers but I am not having any luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Buy a chronograph. Seriously, that is the only way to get reliable velocities.

·
Registered
27,617 Posts
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home
It is not exactly what you are looking for, but it is the clearest exposition on the effects of barrel length.
Like jimb said, if you want exact numbers, get a chronograph. Some are fairly inexpensive.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
27,617 Posts
What does a reliable chronograph cost ?
between $75 and $???
For $75 you get an inexpensive Chrony. It's relatively reliable, has an excellent warranty, and is moderately reliable.
Spend more and get more features and a bit more accuracy.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
$80 via Walmart or Amazon for the base model (what I use) - you supply the tripod. Chrony sells a remote control device as well (not really needed unless you shoot really LONG strings etc) but that can be made for a few bucks to free depending on what you keep in your basement.

F1 Chronograph - Walmart.com

Amazon.com: Shooting Chrony F-1 Chronograph (green): Sports & Outdoors

HIGHLY recommended tool for the reloader or the ammo curious. Factory stats vary - some powders are affected more by temp than others etc.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This guy Pocket Guns and Gear posts some great data for a wide variety of guns and ammo, all short barrel data. Click on the "Ammo Tests" tab for the caliber of interest.

Reactions: cooper

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
Do what I did 30 years ago and get a chronograph.

I have the old Shooting Chrony. I'm going to get me a Pact REAL soon. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! Thanks for the reply! I've been working on a chrony, but money is tight. It's kinda hard to buy ammo, pay for range time and afford anything extra, but I'm working on it. Just as soon as I can get some data on this 41 monster I will post it here.

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
When the Shooting Chrony came out in the 80s, it was 60 bucks. It's still a bargain. Ohler was about the only choice at the time and they were 300+ depending on features. I'd still like to have an Ohler, they've got features that are hard to believe like a strain gauge you can glue to a gun's chamber that will give you a good estimate of working pressures of the load and a triangle of sound sensors you put on your target at whatever range and it detects the sound wave of the bullet at is passes and displays your group on a vid screen at your shooting bench.

But, I want a Pact, can get the standard one for a little over 100 bucks and the professional with exterior ballistics calculator for a little over 200. I've got a lawn mower to buy, last big item for the new home and then I'll work on it. It's down the list. :D Why I want the Pact is to put out the shooting port of my reloading room. The screen is remote, the electronics and read out are inside. There is a generous amount of area to shoot over the screens so even shotgun loads can be checked. I never wanted to try that over the Chrony, figured I might wind up with a dead chrony. Once I get the Pact, I can load ten rounds on the press, walk over to the shooting station and test it. This has been a dream of mine for 30 years. :D

If you don't have a range at your house like I do, the Chrony actually has the advantage of better portability, no wires to string out, every thing, once folded, fits in your hand. AND, they're CHEAP! They are also quite accurate and all you really need just to check a load. Fire 5 or 10 rounds over it, take an average. I wrote an exterior ballistics program 30 years ago first ran on a Timex Sinclair toy computer, then on a Tandy Color 3. It did all the statistical calcs like standard deviation as well as a drop table, calculated trajectories out to 500 yards, energies. Now days, you can buy such a program for 50 bucks or so for your computer. I downloaded a freebee some time back, doesn't do the statistical stats, though. I kinda prefer my own program and have been tempted to find a BASIC compiler to adapt my program to a PC rather than buy a new program, but it's a lot of work and I don't do much rifle load development anymore.

You can really get into this stuff once you get a chronograph.

Reactions: cooper

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a Chrony for years and it was a great investment. A friend and I went in on it together. He has it now and it is still working great after over 20 years. It was the old model with the cardboard screens you shot through. I had to order replacement screens once because I shot it with my 44sp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts