Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the cheapest place to buy (and find) mags for the 709 Slim? I am thinking of stocking up IF the 709 is one the way out.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a factory 709 mag for $27.14 shipped from grabagun.com after shopping around for some time. Prices on this particular item seem to fluctuate from $23 to $27 (plus shipping) from this site. So I added it to my cart and watched it until it dropped low enough before I checked out.

I think you can get ProMag versions for less but from what I have read (not experienced personally) they are hit and miss on their reliability.

I purchased mine for the same reason, fear of availability later on at a decent price.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same thing I'm doing for my 738 TCP.....don't want to get caught short handed.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago from midwayusa and Taurus when you had to wait for them to come in. At that time, they were going for $35. Try them and I'm sure others will reply with where they are now.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
really any Taurus magazine other than a PT1911 or 92/99 magazine the best thing to do is buy them when you can find them.
Taurus has for years been very lax about stocking a good many mags and very few companies make after market mags cause Taurus discontinues models so often and seems to like to have one magazine to fit one model for some reason.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Same thing I'm doing for my 738 TCP.....don't want to get caught short handed.
Well the good thing though is that the TCP is good choice for those that are caught with short hands!!!----:D

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If you have a Rural King nearby, they seem to have them in stock and cheap almost all the time.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
134 Posts
I purchased two, new ProMag 10 round magazines on eBay for ~$20 each. They feed the first cartridge okay with 8 or 9 rounds but not with 10. One needed just the slightest tweak to actuate the slide lock when empty. Main reason for them over the factory 7 round is the extended grip surface and a couple more rounds if needed quick. For the price I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a ProMag for the 709 at Academy Sports yesterday for $27. I was the 10 round version. I grabbed the only one they had, but an extra mag is an extra mag.

·
Registered
548 Posts
GunMagWarehouse.com and Gunbuyer.com have the 7-round factory mags for $26.84 and $26.99 (currently, they are not in stock at Gunbuyer). GunMagWarehouse also has an eBay store where you can buy ProMag magazines: 7-round for $18.19 and 10-round for $20.49.

I just bought the 10-round mag on eBay. I'll let you know how well it works when it arrives next Wednesday.

Oh, and since GunMagWarehouse is located in Florida as I am, I have to pay an additional 7% tax. That brought the total to $21.92 - which is still a good deal. I bought a 110-round GSG drum mag for my 10/22 from GunMagWarehouse for $38 which was the lowest price on it that I could find. The advantage of both the vendor and the buyer living in Florida is the short turnaround time: I got my GSG mag the next day!

·
Registered
548 Posts
The thing about the ProMags is that you have to break them in first before taking them out to the range. My break-in routine consists of removing the spring and follower, putting a thin layer of Tetra lube or Slip 2000 EWL on the spring, using an Emory board to smooth out any rough spots on the sides of the follower and also any rough or sharp spots on the feed lips, reassembling the mag and then filling it with metal snap caps. I let it marinate like that for two days, then I remove all of the snap caps and then reload them back into the mag and let it sit for another two days. Lastly, I take out the snap caps and reload them to see if the spring has loosened up enough. Usually it has and I'm good to go. I did have one mag that required another day of sitting fully loaded before it was ready.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but it's worth the effort - especially when you can carry a 10-round mag instead of the stock 7-round as a spare.

Reactions: Shooter9mm

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cabelas has them for back order on their web site.
I ordered 2 @ $29.99 plus tax.
A little higher price than maybe some places, but at least they are available.
And free shipping over $49.00.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just bought a factory 7 round magazine from a web site called Walnut Creek Outdoors for $27.99 with free shipping. Their website currently says that they are on sale, their regular price is $37 so get them while they are on sale.

Reactions: Justice06RR

·
Registered
548 Posts
Boy, do I feel stupid! I found out the cause of the slide not locking back. It was not the fault of the magazine.

The reason why I didn't come back on here earlier is because I misplaced the ProMag magazine I bought and still have not found it five days later. Turns out that I didn't need it (although it might have helped).

Had I truly observed Occam's Razor, then I would have asked myself, "What did I do to my PT709 before I bought the ProMag?"

The answer? I put a Pachymar cover on the grip. Just not far up enough since the edge of the grip was preventing the stock mag from going all the way into the mag well. It hit me when I went to remove the stock mag and it came out without me pushing the button first.

The stock mag has a Garrison {pinky} grip attached to its bottom which came in contact with the Pachymar cover; whereas, on the 10-round ProMag, there is nothing but empty space between its spacer and the Pachymar cover and that is why it locked into place as it should and activated the slide lock lever.

All it needed was for me to move the Pachymar cover up about 1/8" so that it did not come in contact with the Garrison thingy.

And that's the end of this "gripping" story.

Here's a caveat regarding ProMag's 10-round magazine (or at least with the one I got). Yesterday, I received one I bought on Ebay and tried to insert the empty mag into the mag well and it stopped halfway in. However, if I held the mag release button down, then it slid into the grip like butter in a baked potato. The slide stayed back and depressing the slide release lever sent it back into battery.

I next loaded a few snap-caps into the ProMag and tried reinserting it into the mag well. Got stuck at the same place but, once again, pressing the mag release button removed whatever obstacle it was encountering and allowed it to be seated properly. It also allowed the slide to be slingshotted back into battery.

Now, here comes the wierd part. I put the stock 7-round Taurus mag back in the gun, released the slide and racked it, It would not stay back! I tried putting one snap cap in it and racked the slide to see if it would load the dummy round. No problem. But, when I ejected the dummy round, the slide again refused to stay open.

I have not taken off the slide yet to see what is happening (or not happening) to the slide lock lever that is supposed to be pushed upwards by the mag's follower when empty (as shown in the stock photo below). While the Taurus mag is not engaging the slide lock lever, the ProMag has no issues with the release lever when it gets inserted (which, of course, has to be assisted by holding down the mag release button).

Taurus_PT709_SLIDE-CATCH LEVER.JPG
(stock photo)

Occam's Razor dictates that the two separate issues with each mag are somehow interrelated since I've had zero problems with my 709 from when I bought it a few months ago. I've also been unable to find any schematics of the 709 that show what exactly locks into the magazine notch to hold it in place and how it is unlocked by the mag release lever. I don't even know what is the proper name for the part (pin, plug, post, tab, ?) that's inserted into the mag notch, which, the ProMag is apparently hitting on the way up into the mag well.

I wish I had another Taurus 709 mag to test and determine what happened to the first OEM mag. Maybe the follower or the mag spring is getting hung up somewhere inside it. Anyhow, when I log off, I'm going to remove the slide to see what is happening to the slide lock mechanism when I insert and release each mag in turn. I'll hop back on here tonight to relay my findings regardless of the outcome.

Any thoughts until then?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Peterpocket...I wouldn't be too concerned about this glitch until you go out to the range. And hopefully your Pro-Mag will be a performer. Sometimes some glitches can occur in a static test condition. But once out at the range, things will settle in and function normally.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I bought a couple of Promags off a seller on Ebay. I believe they were less than $18 each. New.

One had the spring inserted incorrectly thus it would not load to capacity. Once fixed they have been flawless.

If Promag was as bad as you hear they would have been out of business long, long ago.

"A happy customer will tell ten people. An upset customer will tell a thousand".

All the Best,
D. White

1 - 18 of 18 Posts