Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
22,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing this with my wife today. We had one point of overlap, but let's share our lists and see what everyone else thinks.

The idea here is to heck with performance, reliability, cost, all that mundane stuff. Looks. Curb appeal. Nothing but appearance. The cars that would make you sit in your garage for hours, just looking at them. What would be your top three? No concept cars, just actual production models.

Hers are the following:

The late-80s 911 turbo body convertibles. With whale tail.
1988 911 turbo.jpg
I can totally see what she means here. Fantastic lines, but I think I'd go with one of the smaller spoilers than the whale tail myself.

Her #2; the Caribbean Aqua Mini Cooper Convertible.
introducing-new-mini-convertible.jpg
I like it, but she finds it more beautiful than I do.

Her #3; this is where our choices overlap - we both love the small, two-seater convertible Thunderbirds. First gen or last generation, we both love both of those generations. So I'll put the classic on her list.
57 thunderbird.jpg

·
22,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now my list. I'll start with a car the second oldest on my list. It really represent a family of curvaceous, small convertibles, like the AC Cobra and the BMW 507. But the example I'd choose would be the 550 Porsche Spyder.
cf92e7c9-d14b-487e-aa08-84aeea327962_teaser_original_720x1_5.jpg
27483-1955-porsche-550-spyder-replica-std-c.jpg
Small, light, graceful and gorgeous. We've all seen Cobras, but if you aren't familiar with the BMW 507, go find a picture. All these models share a low hood, pontoons over the wheels, and graceful, stunning lines.

My #2; floating fender roadsters from before WWII. Anyone know what this is?
1024px-Auburn_Boattail_Speedster_851_1935.jpg
I love those front fenders, I love the exhaust coming out of the engine bay, I love the headlights, the way the hood lines continue to the cabin area. Just stunning.
It's an Auburn Boattail Speedster. If you're ever in northern Indiana, visit the Auburn Cord Dusenberg museum. Wow.

My #3; As I said, small Thunderbirds. I like the last generation almost as much as gen 1.
2004_Retro_Bird_-_in_Thunderbird_Blue_Metallic_-_minus_top_-_fvl.jpg
Out of everything on these two lists, this is the most likely for us to own. They really don't cost much.

So those are our lists. Let's see some more top 3 lists, and there must be photos!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
One I can personally remember, and if I wanted it badly enough, I might be able to afford!

Driven by my very circumspect mother the elementary school teacher. It's even the correct colors-

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Sports Coupe

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My own short list:
1- 1939 to 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe. Classic lines that have easily withstood the test of time.
2- 1955 to 1957 Chevrolet Corvette. The classic Zora Arkus-Duntov design, single headlights, first gen small block V8, what more could you want.
3- 1955 to 1957 Ford Thunderbird. The original two seater gentleman's car. Never meant tlo compete with Corvette, but beat the Chrysler 300 to submission in its class.

Now, if you want to add pickups to the list:
1- 1939 to 1941 Ford F1 pickups. See #1 above for why.
2- 1953 to 1955 Ford F100 pickups. Again, timeless beauty that has transcended generations.
3- 1955 to 1959 Chevrolet Cameo Carrier (and GMC Suburban). The start of the wide box configuration, and done with looks in mind. Just beautiful, IMHO.
4- 1967 to 1972 Chevrolet C10 and GMC pickups. From the clean body lines to the various powerplants you could have in one, there isn't much more to say. GM hit a home run with these.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

'65-'66 Cadillac.

I like land yachts.

Attachments

Reactions: Lomax and RonPT24/7

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
My first choice:

1969 Pontiac GTO Judge. This car strikes a chord inside of me like nothing else. This one I could sit and look at for hours, but that wouldn't happen, 'cause the key would be burning a hole in my pocket so bad I'd have to take it out, put it in the ignition, and do some laid-back cruisin'.

My second choice:

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 Fastback.
This is the size cars used to be, the size they should be. I prefer the 396 V8 engine over the 427. The 396 puts out enough horsepower to have fun without getting in over my head. Gotta keep those four drum and shoe brakes, and a suspension reminiscent of a Chris Craft wallowing in ocean swells coming into Puget Sound, in mind at all times. Straight line acceleration, but leave yourself plenty of room to slow down or stop.

My third choice:

1976 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with 350 cubic inch V8
. This is the epitome of sheer beauty and flowing lines. No chrome, nothing extraneous, just aerodynamic perfection. The 350 provides plenty of power to have some serious fun, and provides the reliability that the 350 is famous for so I can spend more time on the road and less time under the hood.

Of these three, the Corvette is, far and away, at the top of my wish list. I listed it at #3 only to save the best for last.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
My three, not necessarily in this order: '40 Ford Coupe, '67 Chevelle SS, and the '68 Mustang Fastback in Bullitt scheme.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
Cars have been so butt ugly for so long, most anything made before 1980 seems super cool...:unsure:...almost hard to believe there was ever a time when cars didn't look like a frog, a shoebox or a stepped-on catfish. Although I was never a Mopar guy, I've always liked the '68-'73 Dodge Darts and especially the Swinger models.
45296f2e8c834e7c2a3b44b8e2100541.jpg

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I miss my show car, mine was worked over in the engine but you get the idea!

Reactions: RonPT24/7
1 - 20 of 90 Posts