Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and I'm (hopefully) picking up a PT92 within the next 24 hours. It already has Pachmayr grips on it, but I'm wondering if there are any upgrades that you all would recommend (such as: trigger jobs, replacement sights, springs, etc). This will be the first Taurus I have owned, and I'm just looking for some pointers to get me headed in the right direction. I am unsure of the age right now but should have more info tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
My personal opinion is that the Taurus/Beretta 92 series handguns are as about as reliable, accurate, and rock steady as one can get right out of the box.

They have been combat troop and street cop proven for over 25 years, and really don't need any improvements.
:r_c:

If one wants more aesthetically pleasing grips or larger grips to better fit one's hand, then by all means have at it.

And by the way...Welcome aboard from
Florida the "GunShine" state.:cool:

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Best upgrade is a few boxes of ammo and a good gun cleaning kit. Clean that puppy extreemly well, load her up and get to know her personality... then repeat as often as possible.
You could try a little bright finger nail polish to the dots of the sights to brighten up target aquisition, but then that may depend on the age of your eyes.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Welcome from Alabama-
I 2nd what Moondawg said....I would recommend something like Hogue rubber grips.
And if you dont have 18 round flush fit mags- Greg Cote has them for 23.95 each plus $5.95 flat rate shipping.
They also have 20 round extended- but flush fit for $28.95.
I have ordered 92 mags and 228 mags....good place to get mags and grips.

TAURUS : Greg Cote, LLC

P.S. a 92 is a sweet shooter.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Welcome to the site. +1 for what people have said above you really don't need to add anything to these near perfect guns. I will admit that I have a thing for wooden grips and added some from Altamont to mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys rock!! Thank you for the quick responses!! I'm actually looking to get some wooden grips for it in the near future. I already have a cleaning kit and 500 rounds of Winchester ammo waiting to be shot lol. I will definitely post pics when I get it. What holster would you all recommend? I'm right-handed and looking for the best way to conceal it. Size isn't a major issue for me and I feel that the Glock 19 is just too small for my hands. As always, info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What holster would you all recommend?
I'm partial to Theis holsters(sponsor on the site) IWB for my '92, OWB for the 24/7. Swear by both.

Oh, I agree with jonrjen. Clean, shoot and repeat. Hard to improve on perfect.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

The only improvement I've made to my PT92, which is my downstairs home defense gun, is the Aim Sport 90 lumen tactical light.

As far as the performance and accuracy of this fine pistol is concerned, it's about as good as an "out of the box" 9mm pistol gets!

Attachments

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate everything!!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
I favor the Pachmayr Signature PT92/99 Grips with the Finger Grooves, without the Backstrap installed. I have a new set on order.

Currently, I'm using the stock plastic grips covered with an Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Slip on finger groove grip.
Other modifications include a Wolff 15 lb Recoil Spring, Beretta Second Generation Locking Block, and Enterprise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sight.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I favor the Pachmayr Signature PT92/99 Grips with the Finger Grooves, without the Backstrap installed. I have a new set on order.

Currently, I'm using the stock plastic grips covered with an Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Slip on finger groove grip.
Other modifications include a Wolff 15 lb Recoil Spring, Beretta Second Generation Locking Block, and Enterprise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sight.
I was thinking of going with the Wolf recoil spring, but I wanted to put a few rounds down range first just to see what I'm dealing with. I picked her up maybe an hour before I went into work and just had time to do a quick field strip and clean. She's quite dirty and was dripping oil when I picked her up from the previous owner. Didn't look like he was big into actually taking care of his weapons. But I have no doubt that when I get her cleaned up and properly lubricated that I will fall in love.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
If the gun is used, by all means replace the recoil spring. It's cheap insurance. Also, check the locking block for chipping or unusual wear. I would use a factory strength replacement recoil spring. After you know how it acts, you can worry about different weight springs.

My PT92 prefers 124 gr. rounds.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Altamont has Ivory Grips that I am ordering for mine. I have a pair on my 1911 and they look great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great photo, shows a little wear of the blued finish arounds the edges.......adds character.

Thanks!! I really like the way it looks with the wear

1 - 20 of 33 Posts