Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been making alot of ammo lately and my wife asked me why I did not get a electronic powder measure, so I said why not if its wife approved lol. Now I have had different people recommend different ones. There are 4 that come to mind, Rcbs chargemaster lite, Lyman gen 6 compact powder system which I believe are the same one with a different name. The hornady lock n load auto charge and the frank ford arsenal platinum intelli dropper. So far from what I have read I am leaning toward either the RCBS chargemaster lite or the lyman compact. what is everyones recommendation and which one do you prefer to use in your reloading endeavors?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Let me say first that from what I've seen and read, the RCBS is the absolute best. It's also the most expensive. I found my Lyman Gen6 on sale at Cabelas about 3 years ago and pulled the trigger on it. It's been the single best investment I've made. The only thing I wish it had was a trickle button, where I could trickle another tenth of a grain after it finishes. But, for range work, I don't really care if it's off a tenth of a grain either way. If I'm loading self defense ammo and I'm trying to be precise, I just leave the lid off the powder hopper and dump the charge back in if it's not what I set the machine for. It works just fine for me. Very consistent powder charges, every single time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me say first that from what I've seen and read, the RCBS is the absolute best. It's also the most expensive. I found my Lyman Gen6 on sale at Cabelas about 3 years ago and pulled the trigger on it. It's been the single best investment I've made. The only thing I wish it had was a trickle button, where I could trickle another tenth of a grain after it finishes. But, for range work, I don't really care if it's off a tenth of a grain either way. If I'm loading self defense ammo and I'm trying to be precise, I just leave the lid off the powder hopper and dump the charge back in if it's not what I set the machine for. It works just fine for me. Very consistent powder charges, every single time.
natches has the gen 6 and the cmlite at 205 shipped at the moment im tempted to pull the trigger. when it comes to purchases like this I am always so hesitant since I have been doing it so far with just a powder measure.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
natches has the gen 6 and the cmlite at 205 shipped at the moment im tempted to pull the trigger. when it comes to purchases like this I am always so hesitant since I have been doing it so far with just a powder measure.
I understand what you're feeling.....the only way I would say it might not be for you is, if you had a turret or progressive press or are planning on having one in the future. In a situation like that, you want your powder dump to be on the press itself. However, I just use a single stage press, reload for fun and for target ammo, and I don't see how anybody could love measuring out powder on a scale better than having an auto-measure. But, it's a significant investment and should be thought about seriously.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,818 Posts
Check out the Autotrickler V3

Well you must be REALLY serious about your powder measure. The V3 is $500.00

AND THEN

The Scale is $750

AND THEN

The difference in one kernel of powder at 1000 yards is explained here:

https://www.autotrickler.com/accuracy.html

I am all about precise, however even I admit, there are extremes.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Like and love my lee but alas after 10 years of awesome service it might be time to replace I`ll just get another Lee I like them to much Hey the autos are great I do not do that kind of volume and keeping batteries is a PIA....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts