Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By dual purpose I mean concealed carry and home defense. Small enough to conceal but big enough to shoot accurately and keep recoil controllable. Any suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
K-framed S&W .38/.357 or it's Taurus cousins of the same sized frame.

:r_c: They are large enough to be comfortable for long range sessions with minimal recoil and decent velocities; yet compact and light enough for concealed carry. And, the can be loaded from "Mild to Wild" depending our your needs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have 2 Taurus model 605 5-shot revolvers. Small but powerful. They are .38/.357 which gives you a host of choices. .38, .38+P or .357. I have one SS and one blued (black) and like them very much. I carry one or the other in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster from time to time, situation depending. I suppose they could be effective for HD, just remember you only have 5 shots. But how many do you need!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Taurus 617 in my opinion! morayman....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Reactions: glenwolde

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Buntline......when you run out of bullets you can buffalo him. :p

·
Registered
360 Posts
The judge for sure!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
K-framed S&W .38/.357 or it's Taurus cousins of the same sized frame.

:r_c: They are large enough to be comfortable for long range sessions with minimal recoil and decent velocities; yet compact and light enough for concealed carry. And, the can be loaded from "Mild to Wild" depending our your needs.

happy-ditto.gif Yup, just like he said....

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
By dual purpose I mean concealed carry and home defense. Small enough to conceal but big enough to shoot accurately and keep recoil controllable. Any suggestions?

thanks!
Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 7 shot 357 Magnum.

Reactions: djw479

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I would have to second the Ruger SP101, It is probably the best combination of concealable size while still having enough mass in its all steel construction to make recoil of .357 loads managable, not nice but managable.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm a big fan of 3" barreled revolvers for versatility. I'm not sure as to Taurus' current offerings as their lineup is so inconsistent. I've always wanted a 3" 605 but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore. I'd have to go with the SP101 myself. An older S&W K-frame .357 would be a good option if you can find one in excellent shape. There's a few Rugers out there in their Six-Series that came in 3" barrels.

I keep looking for 3" 605's but they've disappeared into America's gunsafes. :(

·
Registered
606 Posts
Some of decision needs to be based on your body size&shape, as it can affect how a particular firearm fits against you.

I'd make it a 357mag no matter what firearm brand/size you get...it just allows the flexibility of using 38Spl rounds for practice, and even +p 38s if you find yourself in a 357-pinch ammowise for SD.

One of the top choices would be a 3" barreled 357 revolver, if you can find one at your price-point.

But if you're looking for a Taurus specifically, as stated before check out the Taurus 617 as it holds 7 rounds in a compact-sized frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts