Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying some hollow points but not sure which ones to buy. I have been looking at the Power Ball or a ballistics tip type bullet. Any suggestions? I am thinking the Power Ball would avoid feed issues and give more accuracy.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Just bought Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullets. These came highly recommended by the gun shop that I buy from.
Will try the out and see.
What's right is what works best for you and your gun AND that you can get on a consistent basis. You want to shoot SOME SD ammo regularly and probably practice with a similar load (gr. of bullet and fps). Most of today's SD rounds work well. Have a run through this site if you want to se some of the breadth in over the counter 9mm (and other) rounds. Pick a few that you like - see what is reliable in your gun etc. Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place <<site.

Hornady has a great reputation. What the guy at the gun shop wants to sell you may be colored by his business relationship to the question! :D

I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I had my PT111 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr JHP. No problems with recoil. I have weak wrists - made worse by Carpal Tunnel.

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
ncruikshank,

Ain't no "Magic Bullets". All of today's premium JHP's perform about the same on the street.

I always suggest one chose what one shoots the best out of their particular gun. Which means eventually you'll have to "test drive" a few brands to decipher which it is.

Hornady Critical Defense is the latest and greatest amongst the breed.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Just bought Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullets. These came highly recommended by the gun shop that I buy from.
Will try the out and see.
That's the ammo I have my PT92 home defense system loaded with.

Prior to changing to the Critical Defense ammo, I used Remington Golden Saber self-defense ammo exclusively.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I've yet to find a "big name" SD ammo that wouldn't perform flawlessly in my 709, but I alternate between Hornady CD and Speer Gold Dot.

Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
I have been looking at the Power Ball or a ballistics tip type bullet. Any suggestions? I am thinking the Power Ball would avoid feed issues and give more accuracy.
2 different issues! the function part is the most important cause if it don't get into the chamber it don't matter how accurate it is!
function is typically a matter of the particular gun and the design of the front end of whatever bullet that you choose.
accuracy is typically the shooter and how many faults they have.
typically powerball and Hornady FTX has a good reputation for function, but then again they didn't test them in your particular gun!

·
Registered
16,319 Posts
I primarily use Federal HST2's. Seems I was trying to pick up plinking rounds several months back and bought 500 rounds for about 110 bucks. When I opened it, it was HST, not ball ammo. Odd that Walmart had it so cheap but I've been switching between that and other 147 gr ball ammo and I love shooting my 709. It's "almost" as fun as my PT1911 but that's another thread.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
What's right is what works best for you and your gun AND that you can get on a consistent basis. You want to shoot SOME SD ammo regularly and probably practice with a similar load (gr. of bullet and fps). Most of today's SD rounds work well. Have a run through this site if you want to se some of the breadth in over the counter 9mm (and other) rounds. Pick a few that you like - see what is reliable in your gun etc. Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place <<site.

Hornady has a great reputation. What the guy at the gun shop wants to sell you may be colored by his business relationship to the question! :D

I'm just sayin'...
I believe in what Mingaa says holds true, what works with the gun and you is the most important factor.

Personally, I am not a big fan of 146 gr JHP in a short barrel, nor a 115 gr JHP in any 9mm.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,467 Posts
Plano
What would be your pet jhp for 9mm? I'm using 110 gr jhp's. Just askin'.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Plano
What would be your pet jhp for 9mm? I'm using 110 gr jhp's. Just askin'.
124 gr jhp for a short-barreled 9mm. For 9mms like Glock 17, CZ 75B, I like 147 gr jhp.

Let me add that I don't claim to be a ballistics expert, nor do I play one on TV. And I don't do testing, so I try to go by what I read, and what sounds reasonable to me. I like heavy bullets, I believe that they hit harder. However, I believe that in a compact 9mm, the velocity is lower, so the the impact may or may not be as much. Again, I am not expert, but from what I have read "GO HEAVY" is the key.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just to add to this post , What ammo brands shoot cleaner or is there such a thing ?
This should not be a major consideration for SD ammo. You really want flash suppressant, especially in the dark, and suppressant tends to be dirty. You'll never shoot enough rounds in anger (in one event) for clean ammo to matter. It's more important is to use something that functions 110% in your gun and which you are sure you will be able to buy for some time.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,467 Posts
124 gr jhp for a short-barreled 9mm. For 9mms like Glock 17, CZ 75B, I like 147 gr jhp.

Let me add that I don't claim to be a ballistics expert, nor do I play one on TV. And I don't do testing, so I try to go by what I read, and what sounds reasonable to me. I like heavy bullets, I believe that they hit harder. However, I believe that in a compact 9mm, the velocity is lower, so the the impact may or may not be as much. Again, I am not expert, but from what I have read "GO HEAVY" is the key.
Thank you for your thoughts on the subject. Cartoon Text Animated cartoon Font Animation

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello, Ncruikshank

I have a 709 Slim, and have found that Federal HST 124 or 147 gr JHP, and Fiocchi 92 gr EMB work consistently well in the Slim for me. As others have said, you need to test different types in your handgun and see what you like.

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo, that may help with your evaluation:
Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

This is an informative review by a doctor of different gunshot wounds effects; also lot of insight into affects of different ammo:
Doctor Talks About Gunshot Wounds

Take care, and best wishes to you and yours!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.