Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys clean and maintain your PT709?
I am asking as I read so many contradictions, like;
''Don't ever let oil inside your firing pin channel''
''You must give the firing pin channel some oil to prevent rust''
''Oil in the firing pin channel will just attract dust''
etc etc.
I always used to use cheap gun oil, RAM, but have asked around and was told Slick 2000 is the best, or one of the best. So I bought some. Now I want to know the best way to use this oil to properly clean and maintain my pistol.

Please give me as much info as possible;) I want my pistol to continue to work like clockwork for years to come.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You want to lube your striker channel, but you don't want to have any excess in there. After you clean it you want to rub a little on with your fingers just to quench the metal. It should not pool or drip as it will collect carbon. If you aren't taking your striker out then you'd want to drop a couple small drops in there. Make sure you've removed all the packing grease from under the striker springs as you can as it can cause light strikes on these guns very easily.

I use Frog Lube which fights carbon sticking, but I hear that's hard to come by outside the states. Any lube will work if you actually clean your gun every now and then.

You might even polish certain surfaces inside the gun to reduce friction further. Things like the outside of the barrel, chamber, feed ramp, sears, 'shark fin' on the trigger bar, striker block 'button' and of course the rails. These can be done with a basic takedown covered by the warranty. Just clean the gun fully after you use any polishing compound of course. I use Mothers Mag or jeweler's rouge and a wool bob on a hand held rotary tool. Works like a charm I tells ya.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Things I use, FP10 oil, Gun butter grease, Hoppes#9, cue tips, JB Bore cleaner, air compressor(canned air will work), I clean after each range session, blow out excess dirt, clean bore with Hoppes, (only use the JB on occasion to polish chamber or clean bore if it appears rough), FP10 on all interior parts and Gun Butter on slides, very few failures over the years most caused by a bad magazine or poor ammo. I hear/read often too much oil is bad however I've never found that to be true only perhaps if you don't clean and just continue to oil. When I get a new auto I run them very wet during break in matter of fact so much my glasses are oiled after shooting , Only one gun has been returned for repair in past 15 years(not Taurus)and it was simply poor manufacturing.

I enjoying cleaning it is simply part of the sport, but I'm retired and have the time as many do not.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
There is also a matter of degree. There's a big difference between rolling the firing pin between your fingertips with a single drop of oil, and hosing it down with an aerosol can.

Me, I mostly use Breakfree and occasionally RemOil. I do like Jig-A-Loo for magazines and firing pins.

·
22,034 Posts
A squirt of Dri-Lube in the firing pin channel is hard to get wrong. And will never attract dirt or dust.

·
Registered
580 Posts
l clean with alcohol like hickok, Then i use militec-1 from ebay and hair dryer.

Militec grease on rails of new pistol for 500 rnds.

10$ or so to the door. Stuff last forever.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you guys clean and maintain your PT709?
I am asking as I read so many contradictions, like;
''Don't ever let oil inside your firing pin channel''
''You must give the firing pin channel some oil to prevent rust''
''Oil in the firing pin channel will just attract dust''
etc etc.
I always used to use cheap gun oil, RAM, but have asked around and was told Slick 2000 is the best, or one of the best. So I bought some. Now I want to know the best way to use this oil to properly clean and maintain my pistol.

Please give me as much info as possible;) I want my pistol to continue to work like clockwork for years to come.
A good cleaning using break- free an then dri-lube on firing pin and gun grease on the moving parts(rails)

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I like dry lube (graphite) in the firing pin channel, not liquid. Liquid can cause light strikes. I use Gun Scrubber and CLP also with light oil in rails and Rem Oil for internals. I spray the extractor and use a toothbrush as they tend to get dirty and hold that dirt causing failures. My 709 serves me well and I clean it after every use. That model doesn't do well when dirty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have never put anything into the firin pin channel of my 709 or any other semi automatic pistol that I own and I've never experienced a problem. I field strip and clean after every range session, oil or CLP on all surfaces, light grease on rails, & locking lugs.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Here you go...
I know it's a glock, but the principles are the same.....

[video]http://www.eyehandy.com/weapons/how-to-field-strip-and-clean-a-glock-with-ashley/[/video]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts