Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to step into the AR-15 market, Looking for one under $800. Would like one with a quad rail

So far, I've looked at the M&P sport, the Bushmaster carbon-15. but neither of those have a quad rail, I know I can install one later. But is there anything out there around my price range that might be a little nicer and already have the quad rail installed?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm a big SW fan and finally got a Sport. $649 for mine.

Good gun, well built, and a little cheaper than most ARs since it doesn't have the forward assist or dust cover. It came with a magpul mag and a magpul back up sight.
Its hard to beat SW's fantastic warranty too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Look at the Doublestar Patrol Rifle. I'm not sure if I got the name right but they have a model that has a quadrail on it. I have a carbine length from them with a Hogue Free Float Tube and a Brownell's railed gas block.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Check out DPMS! Got a great flat top from them. No quad but they do have models with them!

BW

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Get a Plumcrazy lower (actually has great trigger) and use an inexpensive M4 DPMS upper and you can own a nice AR for a tad over $500.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 'Sport' competes so well with DIY types. I'll probably buy one for my daughter. (she now suspiciously covets my new Stag). Not so fast, Kid!

Typically, the S&W goes 'on sale' in Colorado for around $650.

·
Administrator
39,376 Posts
I'm really pleased with my "Sport". I'm not ready just yet, but in the future, I'll likely change out the handguard, so I can add a bi-pod. I'm liking the sights that came with it, but might get optics at some point.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought my lower receiver from RGUns. I bought a Delaware (mil-spec plain jane for $65 plus S&H and FFL fees). They have a cool laser engraved Zombie Invasion one for $99 right now). Below is the website.
Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront
Then, Model1sales has everything else you'll need. You can get a sweet set-up with quad rail. $660 gets you the 16" Varmit kit with heavy SST harrel and quad rail. Also, there is no receiver, so there is not FFL crap to deal with.
Model 1 Sales:
So, if you go with the cheaper receiver, you'll be right at the $800 mark with a sweet set up. Or, you can go with more of a basic kit ($485 for basic 16" C.A.R. kit, add $~$120 for quad rail) and tweak later on. I myself like to get the furniture on there that I want originally so I don't have to play with swapping it out.

Good luck and welcome to the black gun arena.

Also, B rownells has GREAT videos on assembling an AR!!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Doublestar, and it seems like Bud's usually has pretty good prices on their ARs

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really leaning towards the m&P sport right now, I dont really want to build my own yet until I have some experience with them.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got the Bushmaster Carbon-15 and love it. Got it for around $550 and added a MagPul rear grip, 2 mags, and UTG quad rail in OD Green and I'm still under the $800 mark

·
Registered
545 Posts
Another S&W Sport here. It's on layaway at Gander Mountain. It came with 3 30rd. mags for $679. Best entry level AR I could find.

·
Registered
251 Posts
where did you get it for $550
From my LGS that had it on consignment from someone. It was NIB and the same carbon-15 Academy sells

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was in a similar situation, looking for not necessarily a bottom-rung AR, but one that was affordable with about an 18-inch barrel and an A2 buttstock. Surprisingly difficult to find one under $700, the bulk of those were the carbine length 'tacticool' setups. Lo and behold, as luck would have it, my LGS had a new-in-box Rock River LAR-15 Varmit A4:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=228

I
'm about $300 overbudget($999), but it has everything I want and so much more. Not everyone has that kind of change to spare(neither do I, that's why I put it on layaway.), but sometimes you gotta find some give when you find something that's close enough to what you want.

·
Registered
548 Posts
An AR15 is one of the simplest guns youd ever build. Build a mil-spec to last a lifetime or buy a commercial and not be happy. Look into Palmetto State Armory. You can build a badass AR and still be under budget and will have a very reliable full mil-spec rather then a cheaper commercial grade. Heres a what youll need, and this way would be as simple as putting the upper on the lower!!

Lower,
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/complete-psa-ar15-lower-moe-edition.html

[URL]http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/complete-psa-ar15-lower-moe-edition.html

[/URL]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts