Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we took the pea shooter (Stevens Model 15-A) to the range with us this weekend to give it a go. This little thing is incredibly accurate for what it is and my fiancee absolutely loves it so much, that she has deemed it hers. This is good because I don't have to buy her one now lol. She shot pretty decent groups with iron sights for a first time shooter, so I would like to invest in a decent scope so she can hit better targets and start working on that aspect of her shooting.

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive and easy to remove, although that may all be in the mounts. I'm completely new to scopes myself, so I'm taking this as slowly as possible. I figure if she has one that is easily removable, although it would have to be re-sighted in each time, it would allow her to keep up on her iron sight training. She was attempting shots at about 25-30 yards and was getting in the vicinity of what she was hitting, but just wasn't quite putting it where she wanted.

What do you guys recommend?

Reactions: gbusmech

· Registered
11,061 Posts
The Simmons .22 Mag 4x32 has served well for a decade on several of my .22 rifles. For the ranges involved, and on out to 100 yards, the scope has been quite accurate.

· Registered
648 Posts
The Simmons .22 Mag 4x32 has served well for a decade on several of my .22 rifles. For the ranges involved, and on out to 100 yards, the scope has been quite accurate.
Agree 100%. Great scope.

· Registered
20,098 Posts
I've got the 3-9x32 Simmons and love it if you want an adjustable. Good glass for a great price!!

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked it out on amazon JR and love the stainless look. For $57, it's perfectly in my price range. I believe I will be checking into this one.

Thanks guys.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Premium Member
16,973 Posts
An old used Tasco 4X and see through mounts have been on my Marlin 99A seems like forever, I've never thought about replacing either because they both work so damn good. ( Note the Marlin 99 was replaced by the 60 in 1959 )

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
I bought a Simmons whitetail for a 7mm rem mag and it went to crap inside due to the recoil. I sent it off and they fixed it, but a quality scope for the 7 that's still on there, a Weatherby Supreme 3x9x44, and put that junky Simmons on a .22. So far, the .22 hasn't torn it up. :rolleyes: I'll never buy another Simmons, though, just not impressed. That thing ran me over 100 bucks 20 years ago.

I have a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 on a Remington M597 Magnum (.22 magnum). The optics on it are really clear for a near 100 dollar scope. I've thought of putting something cheaper on that gun and putting the Bushnell on a centerfire. :D But, I haven't.

· Registered
16,283 Posts

· Registered
11,061 Posts
What, exactly, does a scope on a 7mm Rem. Magnum have to do with a scope for a .22 rifle? The OP mentions 25-30 yards for distance, as well. You can get the 4x32 for under $40.00 from Midway, with rings. The 3-9x32 with adjustable objective runs about $65.00, again with rings, from the same place.

You'll see a lot of them on .22 rifles at the range. There are , of course, more expensive scopes. The question is, do you need one? Plinking at short distances isn't going to tax a scope, and the .22 long rifle is a 40 yard hunting caliber in most places. Many people set the scope up, and use a single brand of ammo for it, so constant adjusting isn't a question.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I have had a cheap Tasco 3-9x??? scope on a .22lr for 10+ years it has worked just fine, the kids can hit lolli-pops out to 50 yards with it. If you never shot a lolli-pop (sucker) try it they explode nicely.

Reactions: darbo

· Registered
11,061 Posts
We seem to be awash in high-priced scopes today. Also in high-magnification scopes. Problem is, if you are actually hunting with a rim-fire, many of these scopes are practically useless. The field-of-view is smaller, and the scopes themselves make the guns unwieldy.

The old idea of "use lower magnification to find the animal, then turn it up to shoot" is great for a deer, or larger. Small game, such as squirrels, don't sit still very long, and the reduced field-of-view limits one's abilities to follow them. Then again, I've found that high magnification on close-in targets made of paper can also make it harder to teach. Heart-beat, and muscle movement send the cross-hairs on an involuntary journey that new shooters find less than amusing, and often are unable to control.

Why spend more on the optics than on the rifle when 25-30 yards is all that it will be employed at?

· Registered
9,595 Posts

· Registered
3,400 Posts
I have found a very nice economical scope for a 22 rifle is the BSA sweet 22. The scope is a nice size for 22 rifle, it is not heavy, and it comes with 3 different turrets. Each turret is for a different grain weight bullet. You match the turret to the bullet weight you are shooting and then the turret can be used as a BDC once it is initially zeroed. The BSA scope can be had for under 50 dollars brand new.

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.