Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best ammo? Ive done countless hours of research and came across buying 9mm Luger 124gr FMJ and NO steal case ammo

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I have used several types and they have all been 115gr, FMJ in brass case. They have all worked just fine for me. I stay away from steel case since I can't reload it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welcome to the forum!,I have shot anything from 115gr to 147gr fmj(full metal jacket)and jhp (jacketed hollow point) ammo and have not had a problem with my 709.I would stay away from sttel case too.the price may be attractive but its not for any of my firearms.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have either of you guys had fte issues? How many rounds have you put through it ........im searching for the perfect weapon for CC in a few Weeks here in Illinois....it was between this and the ruger lc9 hopefully it doesn't disappoint me....

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I'm like the rest in saying I've shot brass, hollow point and nylon ammo through mine without issue. I also would stay away from the steel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill stick with the Aguila 124gr FMJ ...and if those give me issues of to the beaches of Florida she goes and I carry the pt 740

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
115 gr ammo is good

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
BTW Welcome to TA from Minnesota

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Ill stick with the Aguila 124gr FMJ ...and if those give me issues of to the beaches of Florida she goes and I carry the pt 740
In the early 2000's I used to buy the Aguila 124 gr FMJ directly from the factory for around $5.50/50 shipped. Never had a problem with it. I still have around 400 rounds left. I have no problems reloading the brass.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
I'll generally shoot 124 grain PMC's, Blazer Brass or my own 125gr FMJ reloads for target/plinking. for PD/SD I use Federal 147gr JHP's and they work perfect. the 147's have about a 2" drop at 25 yards over the 124 or 125 grs

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks like you are getting some good info here. I shoot full metal jacket fro range practice and jacketed hollow points for carry. With around 2,000 rounds fired I'e had no issues not self inflicted. I will not use Russian made (heard it is VERY corrosive) or steel case ammo.

Welcome. You will find the 709 carries well.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Ok, I'll be the odd guy out. I am now over 1k rounds, with ZERO malfunctions, and have shot everything I can find. I reload JHP, FMJ, and cast and have no problems. I am still looking for the ammo that my 709 will not digest. I use steel cased when I cannot or do not want to pick up brass. Am I worried about damage from steel case, NO. I have complete confidence in the Life Time Warranty. The 709 is my EDC. JMHO

·
Registered
526 Posts
You may get a better response if this was in the 700 forum or Factory Loads forum, this subforum is more for reloading ammunition.
As for your question, my 709 feeds pretty much everything reliably. Some have issues with steel cased and some with certain JHPs but its really from gun to gun.

·
Administrator
18,191 Posts
You may get a better response if this was in the 700 forum or Factory Loads forum, this subforum is more for reloading ammunition.
So moved

1 - 16 of 16 Posts