Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my PT 145 tomorrow. Any suggestions for good practice ammo and good hollow point ammo.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
My 145 eats about anything in terms of range ammo. I use 185gr Hydra Shocks or Golden Sabre as carry ammo. From the research I've done, the lighter loads pick up a little more speed and a little better penetration out of the 3" barrel. But a 230gr will foul up most peoples' weekends.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
When I had mine I fed it 230gr fmj in wwb and fed champion flavors.

For carry it got loaded with hornady critical defense in 230gr.

Ate everything I fed it no problems

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Anything it will shoot! But mine gets WWB or Federal for range use and Powrball for carry.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did anyone mention that Brown Bear or Tula make wonderful range ammo? Huh? (Sorry, but some of the folks said their pistols would eat anything...)

:jiml:

·
Administrator
39,914 Posts
If you're a reloader, the PT145, loves reloads for practice. At least mine does. I really haven't found any ammo it doesn't like.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
Ditto, my PT145 is an ammo hog, eats anything!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I stopped in at my LGS and they beat Walmart and online pricing (even buds when they had a sale) for a lot of 1000 Aguila 230 gr FMJ. My PT ate it like a teenage boy eats pizza.

But seriously, I know most smaller LGS are concerned about making a buck where ever they can and if they can order a 1000 rounds in for you and they only make $20, thsy are usually smart enough to realize the $20 profit is better than nothing. You just need to walk in with a good knowledge of what you can buy it for elsewhere.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
My PT145 shoots all 230 gr FMJ's equally well (as any good .45 ACP should :D).

As to hollow points, all premimum JHP's work about the same on the street, so carry what you shoot the best in your particular PT145.

So far mine has not been picky with any brand of hollow points either.

Federal's 165 gr. Hydra Shoks work well with a bit lower recoil for those that are recoil sensitve.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Reloads work great. Since you can tailor to it exactly.
Also, Buy what ever you can at the Wally World. It will usually eat just about anything really. Even the Tula/Wolf stuff. I know, I went thru 2 boxes of the stuff.
Also, For protection type, Feed it some and see how it likes it. Stay away from the 20rnd box as they are a poor deal and look for the 50 round boxes at your LGS.

IIRC, Taurus said to use 230 Gr ammo in the PT145 as it likes it best, I think. I have used 185 Gr XTP reloaded in my PT145 and man! Can those things kick! But they did feed well in my gun without a hitch!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My PT 145 Shoots about anything you put through it:D.I carry PDX1 230 grn.but I also like Golden sabre in 185grn.For range shooting i use what ever is cheaper at Wally world.I always feed atleast 1 mag of my PD rounds just to make sure how the handle.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You know how you end up with all kinds of odds and ends and extra part-boxes of brass and steel and reloads and everything? (especially 45acp for me). I just save 'em all for my PT145 because it's the most omnivorous little rascal you can imagine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My PT145 likes Speer Gold Dot Personal Defense 185gr, but it's kinda pricey. Along with the increased velocity, using 185gr seems to bring down the loaded weight remarkably.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only time mine's acted up is when it didn't like the OAL of some handloads. Once I got that all straightened out it will eat everything.
Carrying 185XTP loaded with Hornady's top Bullseye powder load. DoubleTap 230gr bonded/Gold Dot blew great big fireballs, CorBon +p blew great big fire rings. I played around with some too-hot 230 TC /Unique loads, but those are only going in the Blackhawk Convertible any more. Cast bullets and tiny charges of Bullseye are much fun, though.
E

1 - 20 of 21 Posts