Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to hear what you all have been getting your best results with. As said i have a Tracker 627 with a 4" barrel. I'd like to find a good .357 round to use hunting/ practice and possibly some .38spl's. I have tried S&B 158gr SPs and they were alright. I also tried Remington .38spl 158 LRN and they shot really low right compared to the S&B's.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I never shot 38s only 158 g. Fed. Eagle and National Bullet Co. 125g reloads both 357. They shot good. I had to adjust sites for diferent wieghts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I own two .357 627 Trackers, one four inch and one six. Since I do a lot of shooting and don't reload, I find the Remington 125 grain hollowpoints and softpoints you can buy at places like WalMart are a good buy. You can get them in 50 and 100 round boxes. There are other brands available in this category as well. Unless you want to get exotic, the hot-loaded cartridges from various brands just cost you more and don't any better; either for practice or hunting and varmint control. Using .38s is all right, but if you own a .357, you need to treat it as such and stay sharp with the extra noise and recoil. .357 recoil isn't that bad, but it is quite a bit different from shooting .38 in that heavy a gun. Just my take.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do my own reloading so not sure of the store bought brand. Something I never thought about was over penetration for home defense rounds. Maybe I should rethink this since I have my 4" Tracker for my home defense gun. For reloading, I reload 158gr for my 38's and my 357's. Have fun in your search and remember cheaper is not always better.

·
32,785 Posts
Rick, you have a valid point on the overpenetration problems.

There are many documented verifiable cases where .38 Special and .45ACP ball or round nosed slugs have passed entirely through a felon's body,exited said body,passed through a barrier of some sort, and had enough energy to kill or cause great bodly harm. This with sedate speed ammo as well. Heavy weight bullets in the calibers mentioned are in most of the cases.

Walls and glass of most types,even bed mattresses, don't absorb bullets at all or well.

JHPs noses can clog with debris and become FMJ style. I prefer bullet weights that are lighter for inside defense scenarios. 110gr. to 125 gr. Either in .38 Special or .357 magnum.

Federal and Remington make .357 magnum light loads and there are various 125gr-135 gr.specialty loads that will cut down on the overpentration factor somewhat, but not totally.These are of JHP guise
110gr. loads in both calibers do solve the problem more.

Specialty rounds like Glaser or Mag-Safe can help, but are expensive. One has to know the point of impact with one's own particular gun with these rounds before trusting them.

There are some comprimises that have to be made to get a decent level of protection and possible overpenetration.

There are no total absolutes or hard fast rules on this. More like a case by case basis for each individual's situation. Everyone just needs to be aware of the risks of overpentration in their unique situation and take necessary steps to prevent that as much one can.

Mas Ayoob stacks his books and magazines in some rooms of his dwelling to absorb errant bullets. He uses other materials where necessary for the same purpose.

While this cannot be done realistically to every room ,or at great expense, it can be done in a inventive to solve this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
for a hunting load 158 gr jhp,probably the hornady 158gr xtp would be the best of the lot. you might also try winchester same weight jhp
and possibly you might look up corbon and see if the load up something in th 170 class.

if you shoot 38s out this tracker be sure to scrub down the cylinder thoroughly before switching to 357 mags.

if i shoot 38s then that is all i shoot for that outing,same is true for 357s.

good luck dan.

·
32,785 Posts
50/50 bring up some good points for hunting.
158gr. JHPs can be used for most hunting medium game or anything in that or near that ballpark. ;D
There are 165 gr.-180gr. JHPs in .357 magnum for more penetration if needed. Bob Milek, one of the great dean's of outdoor hunting used to carry a .357 magnum for even large game and had much success with heavier bullets on heavier game.

He was not noted for taking chances with his life,other's lives, or the life that of the game he was after. Clean kills were his forte. Somewhere in older hunting periodicals and books is an article on the hows,whys,wheres as to why he used the .357 magnum as his overall carry piece.

He had used other cartridges, but like Jack O'Conner and the .270 caliber, he usually stuck to the .357 more than not.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow ...Great Post...I did the same question on another site, got some answers..Mostley from guys on this site LOL...That is some very good info...Have to take more time to read it... ;D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys have been awesome. You answered my question and then some. I am gonna try and take a deer this year with my tracker 357. I saw my dad take one last year with his blackhawk and said i have to try that.

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
There is no such thing as "over-penetration" while hunting. For hunting use, you want a wide flat SWC or flat point bullet or a heavy hollow point on deer. Look to Buffalo Bore for the best loads. For defense, just use something in 125 to 140 grains that's hot, like Cor Bon. I'd always fall back on Cor Bon for hot stuff, though I reload and don't shoot factory ammo.

I've found .38 Special Remington SWCs VERY accurate in most .38 and .357 chambered guns. If you want a small game getter, look no further. For defense in .38 special, nothing better than the FBI load, 158 grain SWCHP in +P.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been hunting with dad for 17 years ever since i was 10. I am trying to get my father-in law and brother in law to start hunting too. Just have to find a place to hunt now since where i used to hunt has been sold after the lady passed away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts