Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best 9mm concealed carry pistols compact handguns CCW and women (wow - sometimes the link names generated surprise me - "and women"?!?!) Anyhow - a good sight and they cover other 9s on related pages with full size guns rated 1-25.

A nice rundown of the current 9mm carry oriented guns on the market including the 709. :)

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the link to an enlightening read.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bet. Taurus shows very well among the full size pistols as well: http://www.best9mm.com/
P
T92 in the number 4 spot and PT809 and PT917 making the cut as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The more I read up on single stack 9's, the more likely it becomes that I'm going to get a PF9... And if I get a PF9, I'll probably part with my 709... The thought kind of depresses me!

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few years ago I bought and sold a PF9 (after a long trial period) because of the trigger. I understand that Kel Tec has improved the gun (the whole pistol line) in recent years but I'd have to shoot one again before being convinced. I'm a big Glock fan and the trigger on the 709 was one of the selling points - the 'double strike' capability is an added plus IMHO as well adding one step before drop / rack and reload.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've never liked the safety mechanism built into the trigger. It bothered me on Glocks I had shot before getting my 709 and it bothers me on my 709. It seems like I shot anything with a smooth trigger blade better than I shoot my 709. Plus I'm plagued by the "low and left" issues that so many 709 owners mention so frequently. All that said, I still shoot it well enough for SD. Who am I kidding? I'll probably never sell it! It does seem silly to keep two guns that serve an identical purpose. I should see if I can rent a PF9 at a local range.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My two bits - a gun is like your nose (no one should pick it for you!). I'll be posting my 709 / Kahr CW9 shootout within the hour. I worked out low shots pretty quickly on the 709 BUT my sights may have been modified in production (mine is a recent purchase) - I read a LOT of complaints with people maxing out the sight adjustment without completely correcting the problem. Taurus received a lot of guns for service concerning this, I understand.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The more I read up on single stack 9's, the more likely it becomes that I'm going to get a PF9... And if I get a PF9, I'll probably part with my 709... The thought kind of depresses me!
I think that if you try a PF9, you will probably like it. After doing a lot of research, I just bought one, and so far I am quite happy with it.......

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I'll probably never sell it! It does seem silly to keep two guns that serve an identical purpose. I should see if I can rent a PF9 at a local range.
I agree, now which ones need to go???-LOL

Attachments

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
nice herd!
Thanks! they seem to be multiplying!
which may explain the weird sounds that come from the gun safe?????

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The article is a very nice summary of the spectrum of 9mm carry guns out there, but really doesn't get into the reliability background that much.

Nice that the author also provides the 'haggle price' for each one.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The 1st time I read that page was about 2 years ago. It's nice that the author updated the page regularly when new 9mm pistols were available.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
My life with 9 MM handguns has been kind of interetsing!
I have 4 that i feel are ultra relaible, very accurate and fairly priced.
I started out in 1987 with the Taurus 99, a very nice smooth accuate weapon, althoguh a bit large for carry, then I got a Taurus 24/7 C and that fits the carry size quite nicely, then picked up a Stoeger Cougar thats a very good weapon and accurate as can be , although a bit heavy being an all metal weapon, finally I settled (for now) on a Beretta PX4 SC which is the best of all the others rolled into 1 small package in my opinion.
I do still use each 9 MM though, the 99 is the bedside gun, the Taurus 24/7 C is a truck gun, the stoeger doesn't get much everyday use, but the Beretta is my carry weapon.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I saw this list a few years ago and didn't think much about it then, and I still don't.

If those are his haggle prices, then he doesn't know how to haggle much. Most of his prices are way too high. MilPros seem to be going from $250-$300, 709 Slim is under $300 now (740 going for slightly over $300), Ruger LC9 has been at $299, off and on, SA XD lines are running at $399, and that is just watching the prices around town, here in Huntsville and Birmingham. I paid $339 for my Kahr CW-40 a few months ago and the CW-9 was the same price. In fact, just looking around it is hard to find a CW-9 over $369 and the CM-9's are running about $389.

If you are having a problem with the 709 Slim trigger safety, I suggest you remove any flash around the trigger and smooth the front face of the trigger safety. Kel-Tec PF-9's are IMO currently over priced due to demand and they need at least a fluff & buff job to smooth them out. The Ruger LC9 has a rough and hard to pull trigger and for just a little more you can get the Kahr CM-9 which may have the best DAO trigger of all pistols, plus the Kahr's will shoot a little softer because they sit lower in your hand. It doesn't seem like much until you start comparing the recoil of small pistols in .40 S&W. I would not recommend an AMT Backup to anyone, they are known for slicing up your hand if you don't hold them perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts