Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking this question because I want a bunch of opinions and viewpoints outside of my local group. I'm looking for a 7mm-08 rifle to target shoot up to 300yrs and possibly do some deer hunting with. I'm fond of 270, 308 and 7mm-08 but am set on the 7mm-08. I've learned quickly that the $400 guns at all the discount stores do not feel good to me so my budget is now up to $800. I will be loading my own rounds and due to a great deal on a press earlier this year I have a ton of 7mm bullets in about every weight imaginable. I'm choosing 7mm-08 over 7mm mag because it's a lot less powder and won't kick like a mule.

So if you fine folks will, please share with me your favorite brands, models, styles and why. TIA :cool:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bern looking at Browning, Tikka, Savage, Remington and Winchester tonight. Lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy has a Remington AR style 7mm08 that packs a nice punch. Not sure what he gave for it though.
I didn't even think of an AR. That could be interesting.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
To be honest, in my opinion, once you start getting into those prices, most companies are gonna start offering some of their better/best guns they make. For hunting purposes, almost any of them would be an excellent choice for that range. What you need to look for is how it feels to you, how heavy it is if you are gonna be hoofing it all day, etc. My Ruger M77 is a very accurate rifle out to 500 yds, and according to my boss, who shoots 1000+ yd matches, could be even more accurate at longer distances if I took the time and had the right scope, ammo, etc. Just find one that fits your needs that you like and you should be fine

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man even for $400 or so you can get a nice savage in that caliber with the accutrigger. I never owned one but iv used my friends in the .308 for the deer season my self (with no luck) and they are some sweet rifles. fully adjustable triggers, stainless or blued barrel options, with light synthetic stocks and they are very eccurate up to 250+ yards (its a savage enough said). For the money of a savage you cant go wrong with em IMO anyways. Plus you can tailor your loads to whatever your needs may be so thats a plus. Then you can drop a real nice scope on it with the extra $$ you saved. IMO with some other brands your paying for the name instead of quality. All of this in just my two cents you can get what ever feels good in your hands.Just some ideas for you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, in my opinion, once you start getting into those prices, most companies are gonna start offering some of their better/best guns they make. For hunting purposes, almost any of them would be an excellent choice for that range. What you need to look for is how it feels to you, how heavy it is if you are gonna be hoofing it all day, etc. My Ruger M77 is a very accurate rifle out to 500 yds, and according to my boss, who shoots 1000+ yd matches, could be even more accurate at longer distances if I took the time and had the right scope, ammo, etc. Just find one that fits your needs that you like and you should be fine
Thanks for the advice. What caliber are you shooting with your M77?

Man even for $400 or so you can get a nice savage in that caliber with the accutrigger. I never owned one but iv used my friends in the .308 for the deer season my self (with no luck) and they are some sweet rifles. fully adjustable triggers, stainless or blued barrel options, with light synthetic stocks and they are very eccurate up to 250+ yards (its a savage enough said). For the money of a savage you cant go wrong with em IMO anyways. Plus you can tailor your loads to whatever your needs may be so thats a plus. Then you can drop a real nice scope on it with the extra $$ you saved. IMO with some other brands your paying for the name instead of quality. All of this in just my two cents you can get what ever feels good in your hands.Just some ideas for you.
I've been struggling with this idea. You're right on having a better budget with the $400 guns. I am a Savage fan but my left hand is a bit of a snob and doesn't like the feel of the entry level rifles. I love the feel of the long range hunter series though. My local Gander had one for $799 last weekend. Very solid feeling and the bolt seemed a tad tighter. Heavy gun, about 9lbs but I kind of liked that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone has any opinion on a 300yrd scope I'm all ears on that too.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

Bushnell is a good choice....

Look in the used rifle racks, sometimes hidden treasures await there....

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
I'm asking this question because I want a bunch of opinions and viewpoints outside of my local group. I'm looking for a 7mm-08 rifle to target shoot up to 300yrs and possibly do some deer hunting with. I'm fond of 270, 308 and 7mm-08 but am set on the 7mm-08. I've learned quickly that the $400 guns at all the discount stores do not feel good to me so my budget is now up to $800. I will be loading my own rounds and due to a great deal on a press earlier this year I have a ton of 7mm bullets in about every weight imaginable. I'm choosing 7mm-08 over 7mm mag because it's a lot less powder and won't kick like a mule.

So if you fine folks will, please share with me your favorite brands, models, styles and why. TIA :cool:
Savage bolt gun with accu-trigger is as good as it gets. Accurate inexpensive and works as a truck gun.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
A lower power smaller scope for a hiking rifle used on big targets, and a higher power larger scope for a target rifle used on small targets, IMO. Something like a 2-7x32 up to a 3-9x40 for a hiking rifle. For a target rifle, the sky's the limit I imagine. :)

I've had good luck with a Nikon ProStaff which is low end priced for a Nikon but very nice. Yet, mine doesn't have a hold over reticle in it, which is probably needed for 300 yards plus.

Personally, I am very interested in some of the 30mm tube variable power designs with illuminated reticles. I have a harder time finding illuminated reticles in 1" tube designs.

Like these:

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...Riflescope 3P#4 LRS Electro-Dot Reticle Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...I Riflescope Ballistic Plex LRS Reticle Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...treme Riflescope Ill. German #4 Reticle Matte

·
Registered
336 Posts
For 300 + yards, you should get good glass. With optics, you generally get what you pay for - rule of thumb is to spend as much on the scope as you do on the gun. Good advice.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lower power smaller scope for a hiking rifle used on big targets, and a higher power larger scope for a target rifle used on small targets, IMO. Something like a 2-7x32 up to a 3-9x40 for a hiking rifle. For a target rifle, the sky's the limit I imagine. :)

I've had good luck with a Nikon ProStaff which is low end priced for a Nikon but very nice. Yet, mine doesn't have a hold over reticle in it, which is probably needed for 300 yards plus.

Personally, I am very interested in some of the 30mm tube variable power designs with illuminated reticles. I have a harder time finding illuminated reticles in 1" tube designs.

Like these:

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BU&prodID=BU200444&prodTitle=Burris%203-9x40%20Fullfield%2030%20European%20Riflescope%203P#4%20LRS%20Electro-Dot%20Reticle%20Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...I Riflescope Ballistic Plex LRS Reticle Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...treme Riflescope Ill. German #4 Reticle Matte
Thanks for the insight and links!

For 300 + yards, you should get good glass. With optics, you generally get what you pay for - rule of thumb is to spend as much on the scope as you do on the gun. Good advice.
Good yet hard to swallow advice! I was hoping to get away with that $300 range for the scope but it looks like I'll have to do more research. I haven't done much shooting past 100yrds.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Good yet hard to swallow advice! I was hoping to get away with that $300 range for the scope but it looks like I'll have to do more research. I haven't done much shooting past 100yrds.
You can get a high dollar scope at a discount with a little searching around. One in the links I provided above shows an $878.76 MSRP scope for $289.95. http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...ce=pj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=21181

Check Natchez for promotions like on this page with some current sweetened up deals on Nikons and Weavers. Natchez Shooters Supplies - Current Promotions
Deals change though as time moves on. I bought a refurbed scope through Natchez and it works great with only a few tiny marks on the scope body itself. Great for a working/hunting gun.

Also, check out this trade in and refurb place run by SWFA. SWFA Riflescopes
They are graded Demo-A, Demo-B, and Demo-C and have actual photos of the scope you are looking at. Some are a bit rough, some are dang near pristine.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Reactions: bps1

·
Banned
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone but today I went to Gander Mountain Gun World in Milwaukee and fell in love. I bet I handled 20 guns all in 7mm-08. A few came close then I had the pleasure to meet the Remington 700 CDL SL. It's a tad out of my price range but boy howdy it felt good. Loved the feel, the look and the fluted stainless barrel is just enough to make a tad different. I also enjoyed some of the details on it. Being out of my budget it's time to find some side work and get the man fund built up a little more.

Here's the manufacturer link.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 CDL SF - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Reactions: chicharrones
1 - 18 of 18 Posts