Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what it says, what ammo do you pack??

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

Winchester PDX1 Defender combo pack: includes ten .410 buckshot shells (each shell contains 3 buckshot discs and 10 BBs)
and ten .45 Colt 225 grain bonded jacketed hollow point self defense rounds.

I bought these at Walmart for $28.00 and some change.

Reactions: Camo and TheDC

·
Registered
86 Posts
My favorites are: Winchester 7-1/2 shot for close range small game, Federal Premium 000 Buckshot and Winchester Bonded 225 GR JHP for protection. Although, I do shoot a lot of other types of 45lc and misc 410 ammo through them. The Federal 000 Buck holds the best consistent pattern of them all. The disks work well with the 410Winchester PDX1 but the 12 BB's spread out too quickly. If you ever had to fire in a populated area I wouldn't want to have to account for those 12 BB's. I would like to see Winchester get rid of the BB's and use another disk and see what it patterns like. Besides the Federal 000 buck is a lot cheaper then the Winchester PDX1. That's what's nice about the Judge is the variety of ammo you can shoot through it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning a trip to Alaska in bear country and plan to take my Judge. Curious if anyone prefers a certain ammo for this. Or should I just load 45LC?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you don't have anything bigger to use I would load it with the best 45lc available. To make a long story short-Some years back my buddy shot a Black Bear with a 12GA slug followed up by several rounds of 00 Buck at fairly close range and the 00 Buck only penetrated the hide and never even entered the body.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the heaviest bullet you can find for the 45. even then i'd be alot more comfortable with a 454 or atleast a 44mag if there was a chance i might face a big bear.
I agree but it would be hard to talk the wife into letting me purchase a .44 mag or 500 just for a trip to Alaska. I would rather have my Judge then a rock or stick I guess is the best way to put it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't have anything bigger to use I would load it with the best 45lc available. To make a long story short-Some years back my buddy shot a Black Bear with a 12GA slug followed up by several rounds of 00 Buck at fairly close range and the 00 Buck only penetrated the hide and never even entered the body.
It is so hard to believe how tough their skin and skulls are.....you shoot a watermelon with buck and it blows it away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Judge is not safe with "Ruger Only" type loads, currently called "+P". It is safe with loads suitable for modern Colt SAA's and replicas thereof or Smith and Wesson Model 25's and the like. This would be conventional 45 Colt loads. I would find some hottish 45 solids-SWC, RN, RNFP or Full Wadcutter. The harder these are cast, the better for this purpose. I'm thinking around 900fps with a good powder...but don't take my word for it, look it up in a good reloading manual. You need deep penetration with a bear, more so than with a human or deer. The human especially, is a real good target for hollowpoints. A bear, not so much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Judge is not safe with "Ruger Only" type loads, currently called "+P". It is safe with loads suitable for modern Colt SAA's and replicas thereof or Smith and Wesson Model 25's and the like. This would be conventional 45 Colt loads. I would find some hottish 45 solids-SWC, RN, RNFP or Full Wadcutter. The harder these are cast, the better for this purpose. I'm thinking around 900fps with a good powder...but don't take my word for it, look it up in a good reloading manual. You need deep penetration with a bear, more so than with a human or deer. The human especially, is a real good target for hollowpoints. A bear, not so much.
X2
you want a HEAVY HARD CAST bullet, think 300gr or more, pushed as fast as safe pressure will allow. if you have the choice, opt for more weight over more speed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The best .410 load is, hands down the Federal Handgun 3" 000 5 pellet buckshot. At 25 feet or less has 3-5 inch spread. It puts 5, almost 40 cal holes in a target with each squeeze of the trigger.

The best 45 lc loads are Hornady Critical Defense, or hornady revolution. Perfect hollowpoint mushroom every time!

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Federal 000 Buck holds the best consistent pattern of them all. The disks work well with the 410Winchester PDX1 but the 12 BB's spread out too quickly. If you ever had to fire in a populated area I wouldn't want to have to account for those 12 BB's. I would like to see Winchester get rid of the BB's and use another disk and see what it patterns like. Besides the Federal 000 buck is a lot cheaper then the Winchester PDX1. That's what's nice about the Judge is the variety of ammo you can shoot through it.
I gotta agree 100% with Delta & bcteck! If shooting buckshot, the Federal Handgun 410 000 (in either 2 1/2" or 3") is normally cheaper than other Judge-specific buck rounds and the they pattern very well out to 25-30 feet max.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Please dont try to kill a bear with a .357.... Run, Climb a tree, sprout wings and fly away, do something beside shoot a bear with a .357 and piss it off...lol

No disrespect Buckeye, just kiding around. I personally am not giving a bear any reason to get mad an me, just gunna mind my own business and pretend like I didn't see him. Hopefully he will do the same! :) And if the bear does happen to deside he is gunna come get some, I'm gunna punch him in the face with my Raging Judge and knock him out. Have you seen how big a raging judge is.... lol

If you have a good 357 Mag already in the safe ..would be a good choice....158 gr JSP.....or this .357 Magnum 200g HardCast Flat Nose Gas Checked - Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.