Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a local gunshow last weekend to help my mom find a handgun for walking around their lakehouse (hogs, etc.), and my wife texted me that if I can find a gun that I think she will like to go ahead and pick it up. My wife is pregnant with our first child, so I think the mama bear instincts are kicking in :)

The largest caliber she wanted was a .380, and she insisted on having a thumb safety. I asked one of the exhibitors, and he guided me to the Bersa Thunder line. I liked the CC model in brushed nickel, so I picked that up for her.

Does anyone have any experience with it? It seems great to me while handling and cleaning and browsing the features, but if anyone here has any experience I would appreciate it! The only issue she is having right now is that she has trouble racking the slide with a full magazine. It's tough to pull down the hammer with the slide, and the upward pressure from a full magazine makes is pretty tough. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, has it lightened up after shooting?

John

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Lots of folks here on the forum have experience with Bersa. I haven't heard anything negative yet. In fact, I have a Bersa on my short list of next firearms purchases -- The Bersa BP9CC/BP40CC....

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Don't own one, but have shot a couple more than a few times. While it's "only" a .380, don't let the diminutive caliber fool you. After around 25 rounds, the palm of your hand will beging to complain a bit.

·
Registered
29,902 Posts
I own 3 electroless nickeled Bersa .380 Thunderlights and have had great service from them all.

So much so that other family members test drove them and kept them.

They're 100% reliable with any JHP's, and come with features that many .380's costing hundreds more don't have; like slide locks.

I also like the fact that their controls (mag release, safety etc.) are similar to most full size service autos.

They are extremly erconomic with grips that fit small hands like a glove.

They are flat and light weight and make exellent concealed carry pieces.

I think you'd be happy with this choice.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Pretty hard to draw a line between my Bersa Thunder (my selfish daughter's now) and my CZ 83. Just no problems whatsoever.

Our most enjoyable times at the range now are father/daughter competitions with these .380's.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and while I love it... (hogs, etc.) gun it is not... I'm pretty sure if anyone shoots a hog with a .380 then they better be wearing their Nikey's...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I'm glad you guys have such positive feedback! Can't wait to take it to the range. I bought some Pow'R Ball carry ammo for it and WWB for range testing

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and while I love it... (hogs, etc.) gun it is not... I'm pretty sure if anyone shoots a hog with a .380 then they better be wearing their Nikey's...
LOL my mom is the one who wanted a carry pistol for hogs, and I recommended to her the PT740 which she purchased and likes so far. I agree a .380 on a big hog probably won't have the desired outcome :)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I own one and like it. I carry it some, and take it with me in the car a lot.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
He-He-He, not sure about them lil sissy hawgs in Texas, but you better not show up at the Boar convention in Tenn. or Kentucky with a 380.
I used the 41 magnum and honestly the 41 or 44 mag would still be my minimum pistol carry, and where they are in the mountains a rifle is pretty much useless as they are on top of you before you can see them.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
While i don't care a lot for the CC edition, i have a Bersa Thunder in 380 , actually its my third Thunder 380 and i ain't getting rid of this one!
all three have been just great firearms and quite accurate in my hands.
I think for a mid sized 380 its liklely the best buy on the market.
my runs on anything marked 380 and is easy to shoot as well.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
I have a Thunder 380. I never thought about how it would perform against hogs until now. I expect that I would wish for something bigger.

In this part of Florida, the preferred weapon for wild hogs is a Ford F-150, or bigger.......

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I used the 41 magnum and honestly the 41 or 44 mag would still be my minimum pistol carry, and where they are in the mountains a rifle is pretty much useless as they are on top of you before you can see them.
I'm not a hunter, and not even a really experienced shooter, but just on my limited knowledge of hogs, I would certainly agree. I have always been under the impression that to many, the .380 is the 'minimal' caliber for PD, and to many others, it is below the minimum.

I am actually surprised that a .380 would even penetrate the heavy hide of a hog. I would probably consider the .380 as more of a hindrance with hogs, as it would be added weight to carry while I run like hell.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have a Thunder 380. I never thought about how it would perform against hogs until now. I expect that I would wish for something bigger.

In this part of Florida, the preferred weapon for wild hogs is a Ford F-150, or bigger.......
No offense, but if you try to run over a Texas hog, you will flip your F150 and end up dead. The hog is the WORST animal you can collide with in a vehicle.

BTW: I have owned 5 Bersas. The comment about a .380 Thunder being hard on your hand/wrist becuase of recoil isn't one that I or my wife ever experienced. The Thunder 380 weighs about 22 oz and soaks up recoil easily and you can also easily remain on target because there is very little muzzle rise. As far as the caliber being too small for personal defense, the bullet is the same size as a 9mm but doesn't have as much velocity meaning you will not shoot THROUGH your target and into the person behind the target. This may or may not be a good deal depending on who that second person is but I personally would prefer not to have unexpected consequences based on over penetration.

As far as SHOOTING HOGS, I would leave the .40 home as well and take a real gun. A 600 lb hog, unless shot just behind the ear, can get real ugly if your shot bounces off his thick ol' skull.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Interetsing that i just took my bersa to the range today along with the Taurus TCP and the Sig 238 for a bit of "boollit" testing.
it as did the other 2 run just perfectly.
I was shooting (Testing) an all copper 80 grain .355 projectile that was pushing about925- 950 FPS and i haven't figured the exact energy but would imagine its in the upper 180-190 FT pounds.
most good modern self defesne rounds are clicking in the 170-190 Ft pounds of energy, so not bad for the lil cartridge, and as for penetration if thats what you are after most any FMJ or hard cast projectile will get it done.
The best thing about the 380 is lack of size, they work great for pocket pistols and the Bersa thunder 380 as mentioend above can be shot by most pretty much all day without discomfort.

Reactions: jwc007 and stickem2

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
To answer the question about racking the slide being tough with a full magazine. My wife has a thunder 22, and she had to thumb the hammer down before racking the slide. Made it much easier until she got the hang of it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A gentleman at the range let me try his newly purchased Beretta Cheetah in .380 ACP, and that got me interested in this caliber. I am looking for something more controllable than my PT809 for my wife, either to transition her to the 9 mm, or for her to own, shoot, and love. Her SR-22 is a great plinker, but it is too forgiving of bad habits.

The Cheetah shot very well, the firearm had a reassuring heft, but it seems rather rare and expensive. The gun store did have several nickel Bersa Thunders going for $275 (good price?). We both liked this model, and I especially liked the wider and longer double stack model. I did not handle the Taurus PT738, but it looks a little small to shoot regularly.

Are there any other fuller-size .380 ACP handguns you guys like? Any thoughts about the cost of ammo? Freedom Munitions has new ammo for $219/1k + shipping, but it is otherwise very expensive at $18/50 for Federal at Walmart.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
well while i like the slimmer Bersa Thunder 380 with a single stack magazine, there are severla very good shooting stacked 380's on the market.
My all time favorite is likely the Beretta 84, but right now if they are not gone the Taurus 638 is on sale for about 300?
it is a multi shot (15) round pistol that looks and is the same size as the compact 24/7 and 24 /7 -Gen 2 C- it appears.
I shot one and that particular pistol was like shooting a 22 for me, also very accurate weapon.
Glock makes a stacked 380 as well if i remember right?
Browning did make one as well, don't know if its still around or not.
ATI is importing a clone of the Beretta 84 thats really inexpensive but I have not shot one.
There are still some Taurus PT138 floating around at a steal of a price.
go check out CDNN they got a bunch of these different weapons on sale.

·
Registered
348 Posts
4 our 5 in my family have t380s and love them. I carry my about half the time i carry and trust my life to it, but not on a hog. My wife has the t380 cc and will not trade me for it. I like the 8 rounds better than the 7 of non cc's. How does the smaller gun hold more rounds. Good choise for a carry gun.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
No offense, but if you try to run over a Texas hog, you will flip your F150 and end up dead. The hog is the WORST animal you can collide with in a vehicle.

snip

The Terminator Pig of the Eocene is alive and well in Texas?

·
Administrator
17,820 Posts
My idea of a Hog Killer is typically not a Handgun and not a .380. I did carry a .357 Magnum Revolver as a Backup to a .30/06 Mauser Rifle during a Hog Hunt back in the early 1990's, in case I got accidentally separated from my Rifle, but it was not needed.

I would have bought your Mother an AK47, an SKS, or maybe a 12 gauge Shotgun that could use Slugs, but that's just me.
A friend of mine's Wife recently killed one with her Bulgarian AKM in 7.62x39mm. A Ruger Mini-14/30 or an AR15 can kill them too!

Of course, Hogs do vary in size considerably, depending upon available diet,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts