Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever load any of these? Things have a very deep hollow point which makes
the bullet very long. I've got them on top of 5.4 grains of Unique. Pretty sure it's
a compressed charge at this point. Loaded them to 1.115" to get them off the rifling
leade.

Loaded up 10 of them to try out. Have not shot them yet.

20181206_161758[1].jpg

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I got some down in the labor-atory, also load the Extreme 124 gr HP as well.
accuracy is just a slight, smidgen, tad, barely more accurate than the round nose in my most accurate weapons in 9 MM and 38 super.
I only started loading them to try to keep up with mingaa and 88 Keys back when we had a pistol comp going monthly.
I load them both the exact same as I do my 124 grain round nose using 6.5 gr HS-6 at 1.125 inch.
here is how they shoot in the 38 Super, can't find a picture of them in the 9 MM but accuracy is about the same .
I also load them the same in the 38 Super as I do the 124 Round nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've loaded the berry's target hollow point in 38spl. I liked them

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
took my 38 Super Citadel and my CZ SP-01 to the range for some fun times.
had a unusual thing happen while shooting the SP-01 with the Berrys 124 HP.
at 15 yards I squeezed off a round and noticed the paper target jump quiet a bit and a hole appeared in the 7 ring to the left of the sil.
I thought man that was a wayward round?
I noticed that the hole looked a bit strange.
after running a box of 50 through the gun and at 7-25 yards I ran the target in.
It appeared that the projectile was not stable as it not only key holed but actually tore about a half dollar sized hole in the paper.
was able to see the exact hole as it was the only round outside the 9-10 rings.
no other projectile did this and it felt just like all the rest when firing it.
not sure IF the projectile was not balanced (tumbled), the plating tried to come off or what, the round should have been trucking along at about 850-950 FPS out of that weapon I believe.
soooo????

·
Registered
969 Posts
The Berry's Hybrid Hollow-points are excellent in 9mm, although the 147s I had would not reach the 1075 FPS rating from Berry's without petals breaking away from the bullet. At 1000 FPS you get a load that will match up with the typical factory 147 gr. JHP loads except that the HHPs expand greater.

dwhite, I'm sure you already know this, and the .356" dia requires you to use your press. But if you shorten OACL down in steps until the case rim is just above the barrel hood, you can then shorten in smaller increments to get the rim flush with the barrel hood. Then test them for Plunk & Spin. You can get very close to the Max Possible OACL where the rifling is seating the bullet. Then just make your handloads about .010" shorter than the Max Possible.

If you're loading for multiple 9mm pistols, OACL must be set for the pistol with the shortest chamber. For one single pistol, I typically use the longest OACL that I can while keeping the bullets a maximum of .010" of the leade/rifling. It will help with accuracy.

Now, pistolmakers are going the opposite direction, including the latest Glock Gen 5 9mms. Since most factory ammo is loaded short, they have shortened their chambers to reduce the distance for bullet jump. Didn't think I'd ever see Glock do this, but this is the main change that has them calling the Gen 5 barrels, "Marksman."

So far as I know, SIG and Ruger have not done this, but I haven't had the opportunity to test the P-320 or the Ruger American 9mms. I use a Canik TP9sa as a handload tester, and a few other things since accuracy has been so good. It has a longer chamber and I make loads for it accordingly. But no other handgun cartridge that I'm aware of is all over the place when it comes to SAAMI/CIP spec. Newer cartridges are more uniform in that regard, i.e. .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm and the .45 GAP. But, hey, it's been around since 1902 and long before there was a SAAMI or CIP in Europe.;)

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
MY CZ 97 (45acp) and my P-01(9 MM) have the shortest chambers of any of my 45 and 9 MM guns. so I do this exactly.
I set OAL for those 2 weapons and then they run great in all the rest.
I initially ran into a few chambering problems when I went to Extreme projectiles because the taper was fatter than the berry and raniers.
once that I shortened them by a bout 010 they run like a swiss watch now.
I have like 14 -15 45 acp and I am just NOT going to set size for every different pistol.
I do the old plunk and spin test on nay caliber when first setting up a new projectile and have very few problems.

Reactions: 57K
1 - 6 of 6 Posts