Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess add me to the list of folks that jumped on one of the Beretta 81 Police surplus pistols in 32 ACP. The primary incentive I keep seeing matches mine...because I wanted one. I'm please with the condition. Typical wear on the finish with a few tiny rust blems. Riling is good though. Shoots well. Since ordering I noticed that Gander mountain has the 81 BB model with has a few more serrations on the slide and an improved sight but I don't know what that means specifically. Cost runs in the $210 to $230 Range. I bought mine at Classic Firearms.

I haven't cleaned it up yet so I'm sure the finish will improved with some Hoppes, Kroil and some 0000 steel wool. Your move Czechbikr.

Beretta 1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,086 Posts
You guys are KILLING me...congrats on your new pistol. I just spent 21 bucks on some safety parts for my CZ 83. I love that pistol and I am still reticent about moving into another caliber...dies, projectiles...more magazines at 30 bucks a pop. If I could fine a Beretta at surplus prices that was chambered in 380 Auto I would be hard pressed to pass it up. The Beretta 81B...who knows? Maybe some day...when they cost a hundo more...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You guys are KILLING me...congrats on your new pistol. I just spend 21 bucks on some safety parts for my CZ 83. I love that pistol and I am still reticent about moving into another caliber...dies, projectiles...more magazines at 30 bucks a pop. If I could fine a Beretta at surplus prices that was chambered in 380 Auto I would be hard pressed to pass it up. The Beretta 81B...who knows? Maybe some day...when they cost a hundo more...:rolleyes:
No no no, not b but BB that's the one. Half cock trigger block, cock and lock controls. No need for decocker (F,FS) as soon as you let go of the trigger and it resets, the hammer/ firing pin is blocked. You can let the hammer fall safely.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are KILLING me...congrats on your new pistol. I just spend 21 bucks on some safety parts for my CZ 83. I love that pistol and I am still reticent about moving into another caliber...dies, projectiles...more magazines at 30 bucks a pop. If I could fine a Beretta at surplus prices that was chambered in 380 Auto I would be hard pressed to pass it up. The Beretta 81B...who knows? Maybe some day...when they cost a hundo more...:rolleyes:
Yeah I have resisted a new caliber for quite a long time now. I'm always wanted a 32 though so I'll get set up for it. Then it only makes sense to buy another gun!

Yeah I wish the magazines were $30. They run around fifty if you're lucky enough to find one. Think I'll live with one for a while.

Reactions: darbo

·
32,534 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
I’m sitting on an old Beretta or CZ in 9X18 Makarov. Just for the cool factor.

·
32,534 Posts
It's those Bare-ettas you gotta be careful of. Get your dang blammed minds out of da gutter yous preverts!! If not then report to the VIRTUAL DUNGEON at say.... 7ish a.m. .

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Beretta does have a BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB 81 model. You'd have to be crazy to pass on that model. :rolleyes::D:)
Most all of the 81 series Beretta's were offered in BB.
They came in base model B, BB, F and FS.
IMO they got it right with the BB. There is a progression of changes with each model. The best information or write up i have found is on the Beretta Forum's FAQs. https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=94273

·
Super Moderator
36,086 Posts
I'm back looking at the Gander offering. I need to call them tomorrow and see...why they are charging 10 bucks airfreight when it's shipped to their store...and if I can buy it on line or on the phone...wait the three days and then drive the hour to pick it up. The attraction is not having to pay the 20 to my FFL, but if it involves four hours in the car it loses the attraction.

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'm back looking at the Gander offering. I need to call them tomorrow and see...why they are charging 10 bucks airfreight when it's shipped to their store...and if I can buy it on line or on the phone...wait the three days and then drive the hour to pick it up. The attraction is not having to pay the 20 to my FFL, but if it involves four hours in the car it loses the attraction.
I've had issues like this after a few beers and four hours of sleep. A cab seems to help with the loss of attraction. But even with the hang over my 84BB is still a sexy little thing.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am told if you question the $10 they will waive it. Not sure why you need to ask though.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
502 Posts
"DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson" ...

The 81 may be reclassified as a gateway drug. One day your parents will come in your room and find you've hidden Ortgies and Savages and JP Sauers and Walthers and Colts and Mausers under your mattress. Then there is the Model 70 and Model 1935 and Tomcat and ...

·
Super Moderator
36,086 Posts
Alright...you enablers... I am in the soup.

Called Gander and they would not waive the 10 buck air freight to ship to their store. Strike one. I asked when the 3 day waiting period starts...when I place the order or when I drive an hour each way to fill out the 4473...to return again in three days. Didn't know...strike two. Tried to transfer me to the store...on hold for over five minutes...strike three.

I can ship to a FFL that's 20 minutes from me that only charges 10 bucks for the transfer for the same price..10 bucks air freight and tax added on. That store will probably get the ammo purchase instead of the Gander outlet.

$255.00 net before the 10.00 dollar FFL. Drawback..only one 12 round magazine...now on the hunt for extra mags...dies...boolets...brass...

Oh..this bargain could get expensive.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Called Gander and they would not waive the 10 buck air freight to ship to their store. Strike one. I asked when the 3 day waiting period starts...when I place the order or when I drive an hour each way to fill out the 4473...to return again in three days. Didn't know...strike two. Tried to transfer me to the store...on hold for over five minutes...strike three.

I can ship to a FFL that's 20 minutes from me that only charges 10 bucks for the transfer for the same price..10 bucks air freight and tax added on. That store will probably get the ammo purchase instead of the Gander outlet.

$255.00 net before the 10.00 dollar FFL. Drawback..only one 12 round magazine...now on the hunt for extra mags...dies...boolets...brass...

Okay, for magazines you know will work go to the Beretta site and if they are out of stock put your name on the "Call when in stock" list. Generally my experience is they get a bunch in and within a day or two at most are out of stock again.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yeah good choice. Screw Gander. I have never once paid a shipping charge on any ship to store item anywhere. Good luck on the magazines. Looks like it'll be a chore to find them and not cheap. If I have o pay $50 for a magazine I'll live with one.

Yeah it's funny how guns creep up in price. After shipping and now taxes added, a cheap gun costs more than it should. Ideally buying local would be the answer but around here the gun shops charge insane prices, as do the pawn shops. The worst internet deal is still way better than them. Still very pleased with my decision to purchase the Beretta. I think we're gonna have a lot of fun together!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts