Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beretta "Clones" are some of the best pistols money can buy, at half the cost of a "Real" Beretta. Feel free to post some pictures here and tell us about yours. I like them because you get Beretta design and quality without the Beretta price-tag. They are built like tanks with the steel frames and will eat any type of ammo no matter how cheap it is with consistency and reliability. In these uncertain times reliability of your fire-arm is probably the most important aspect when considering a fire-arms purchase.
On top here we have a classic Taurus PT-92 AFS 9mm in stainless. Believe it or not this pistol is sixteen years old and was purchased at a Pawn shop for $350 out-the-door. I bought some fresh Hogue grips for it and used some shiny Beretta grip screws. It is of course very reliable, has an extremely smooth trigger pull, and accurate.
On the bottom we have a Stoeger Cougar 8040. This is my primary carry piece and was purchased new at Academy for $399.00. After much anticipated hype on Beretta's behalf the pistol was some-what of a flop, why I am not exactly sure. So Beretta cut their losses and sold the factory to the Turkish government. Because of its compact size, light weight design, durability, and reliability this would make an excellent carry piece for security jobs or law-enforcement. The .40 S&W was designed for the FBI and law enforcement and merges the velocity of the 9mm Luger with the stopping power of a .45 ACP. This allows more ammo capacity in the perfectly designed double-stack magazines.

Thanks for reading and comments are welcome. Buying a Beretta clone will not only make you feel smart, but save you a ton of money compared to Beretta or Glock. Its a win-win situation and I highly recommend them.

Reactions: mark45acp

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Man, what nice looking guns....especially the top one....;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Great looking guns, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
I guess you could easily argue that all of the metal pistos from Taurus are Beretta clones. I have an assortment of the PT900 series as most know....cause I can't stop talking about how nice and under appreciated they are. I still don't understand the thinking behind Taurus to discontinue this market of firearms. I also have a couple of Beretta pistols, one being the PX4SC in 9mm and the Beretta 96 .40s&w. Here are a few of my favorites.

P2290001.jpg P1290003.jpg PC060014.jpg PB140003.jpg PB140001.jpg

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
I also had a very strong want for a Stoeger Cougar when they came out, there was just something about the look of the pistol. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out what they meant by Anodized Silver Frame...is it an actual stainless frame, an alloy metal, or a silver coated surface? In the end, while Beretta does build some nice pistols, I am very please to have found this T/A forum whos members opened my eyes to what Taurus has to offer.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, my writings were not well received on other forums if you get my drift. Good to know I always have a place here to come to. :' )

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
Now in my last photo if you look real close there are two Taurus PTs and one Beretta 96. While they both look almost identical, if you pay attention you will notice that the Beretta does have one feature that the Taurus pistols don't offer. However, I don't know that this is enough to justify the price difference...... Well, can you spot the Beretta feature?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, I don't know that this is enough to justify the price difference...... Well, can you spot the Beretta feature?
Common sense would say no that does not justify the price difference LOL. Am I right here with the picture, where's Waldo?:D

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
Yeap, you got it. See Beretta was a forward thinking firearm manufacture and marketed to the larger market of automobile enthusiast. Yes, with this little lanyard loop you can use your Beretta as a big key ring....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure if my review came across the wrong way but I have nothing against Beretta or Glock. After all if it wasnt for Beretta we wouldnt have all these cool "Clones" now would we? The main point I was trying to make in the review is why pay more if you do not have to? People assume that just because somthing cost more it is better, that is not always the case here.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Totally agree. It is especially amazing that you can now buy the Stoeger Cougar for half the cost of the original Beretta and there is not a licks worth of difference between the two. It is probably the best deal in a pistol that is available today. Will you all hit me because I sold mine to buy a Taurus?

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I have a few beretta clones myself, and a few True Berettas.
I have an old Taurus model 99 thats about 24 years old now, other than replacing the recoil spring a couple times alls running well, i imagine i am north of 10,000 rounds and the ill faited talked about Locking Block has caused no problems.
I also have a Stoeger Cougar and its actually the most accurate 9mm in my hands that i own (well if you don't count my 38 Super as a 9mm).
The Cougar i think was simply priced to high for most to buy, everyone that i have spoke with that has the beretta cougar really likes it, its just not many of them to be found to talk to.
a good many of the features in the Cougar shows up in the new PX4 series from Beretta, and i have one of those thats equally accurate with the 99 Taurus and the Stoegar cougar, only very slightly less accurate in my hands but with the luxury of havng a 3 inch barrel and poly frame which reduces the weight from the all metal cougar a lot.
Hogue has even came out with a boat load of new grips for the cougar as well.
the Cougar with its rotating barrel lockup is not only very strong but is smooth and easy on recoil, i love shooting mine, but then again i love shooting my PX4SC as well.
anyway heres a few pics of the clones and my REAL Beretta.
PS: Notice the lanyard loop on the Model 99!-LOL

Attachments

Reactions: Long_Shot

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I've always been an advocate of the Taurus 92 family, truely great guns. :cool:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
olfarhors: Your actually responsible for me discovering the Stoeger Cougar, I saw it on one of your threads. For some reason I found it intriguing and bought my own. Thanks!

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
olfarhors: Your actually responsible for me discovering the Stoeger Cougar, I saw it on one of your threads. For some reason I found it intriguing and bought my own. Thanks!
olfarhors in an inspiration for sure. His knowledge and expertise is top notch! ;)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
olfarhors in an inspiration for sure. His knowledge and expertise is top notch! ;)
Olfarhors will have you well armed and broke if you start going through his selections. :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I want that old antique POS 99 of his. :D:D:D

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
The old axiom is "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery".

However, since the Taurus 92's are made in Beretta Factory on Beretta machinery (bought by Fouas Taurus) they come the closest to being "clones" rather than an imitations. Albeit, with a much better safety/decocker.

The Turkish made Stoeger's are nothing to thumb one's nose at either since this company is ISO9001 rated.

They make some of the finest guns extant and reasonable prices.
:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
How many rounds does the Stoger hold? Thats a good looking gun.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
"However, since the Taurus 92's are made in Beretta Factory on Beretta machinery (bought by Fouas Taurus) they come the closest to being "clones" rather than an imitations."

The original machinery has been long replaced as CNC became a more viable method. The safety has always been slightly different, and the decocker veered well away from Beretta. To be a clone, you have to be EXACTLY like the original.

I'm also thinking that the lanyard loop may well have been required by a large contract, so Beretta added them to all of their production.

If you want Beretta clones, look at ATI, an importer of a Turkish manufacturer. Their Model 92 Centurion, and Model 92C Centurion are real clones of the Beretta Model 92 and 92 C. Their MS380 is also a clone of the Model 84B Beretta.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts