Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my 92A1 and took it to the range to get a feel for her. For pics and info on my deal go here http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/88269-did-i-get-good-deal.html

So I was allowed to purchase only 2 boxes of ammo with my pistol. I got a box of Hydra-shok 124gr ($29.99 for 20!)and a box of 115gr Blazer Brass(15.99!). When i got the the range I bought 2 boxes of PMC bronze 115gr (19.99!!!!!!!!!)

When I got there, I ran the metal brush and some oil down the barrel to clean it up and lube it. I loaded the first magazine with the PMC, after 3 rounds I was getting Failure to feed. I'd rack it, fire, FTF again... and again... and again... you get the picture. I was confused, worried and pissed. So after continuing to mess with it for an entire magazine, I tried the Blazer brass. No problem at all. So I took the other box of ammo back and said this wasn't cycling my slide, they switched it for Federal 115gr range rounds. I went through a full box of Blazer and a full box of Federal along with 10 of the Hydra-shok with not a single issue. the only issue was with the PMC. Even on the last round the slide didn't lock back because it didn't fully cycle back.

After getting home I read the PMC Bronze tends to be a little underpowered for the 92, so just a heads up to anyone looking to buy one.

My Impression:

Wow, I flippin love this gun. It is amazingly accurate. Talking holes through other holes accurate. 1.5" grouping at 15 yards accurate.
Very low recoil, great feel in my hand and really easy to fire consistently
Sights are very easy to see and seem to be spot on.
Breaks down so easily my 3 year old could do it.
the safety decocker everyone complains about, I like and found it easy to use after a few minutes of use.

I really don't have anything bad to say... The failure to feeds were caused by the rounds not being powerful enough to fully cycle the slide, I just have to be aware of that in the future. It wasn't the guns fault.

160 rounds down range, i am in love. This is the type of gun where i can send 500 rounds down range at a time. Now I just need to find some that isn't so damn expensive!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Congratulations. Pmc is always my choice of ammo for range use. Some pistols are picky eaters better to find out on the range than when your life is on the line. Also liked your pics in your other thread very nice pistol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used Blazer brass without an issue... but this is a heavy gun so the 115gr was just not enough from them. The 124 will prob work ok

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've always had a sweet spot for Berettas. Had a 92S back in the day.

It looks like $15-20 may be the new norm per 50 9mm FMJ. A local LGS has plenty of American Eagle for $19/50.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice gun and good report. 1.5 inch groups at 45 feet is pretty darn good shooting. Why 15 yards?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice gun and good report. 1.5 inch groups at 45 feet is pretty darn good shooting. Why 15 yards?
It was more a matter of why not. I fired it at 5,7,10,15 and 25 yards.

And to be fair, at 15 yards I was able to group 1.5 inch. But it was only five rounds and very slow shooting. I'm not the best shot by any means. It was 99% luck and 1% skill. At 7 yards however I was able to put several (prob 3-4) holes through holes. I was impressed by that and that is a more realistic distance to hit a human target. At 25 yards I was hitting the body but no consistency really. I think I did miss once and go off above the left shoulder.

This gun makes me look like a better shooter than I really am

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've always used Blazer brass without an issue... but this is a heavy gun so the 115gr was just not enough from them. The 124 will prob work ok
I had a 92FS for several years and it ate 115 grain ammo easily. Maybe it was just that PMC ammo you had. I can't recall using PMC in my Beretta.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
You could give the PMC a try again once you've got 1,000 rounds or so through it. A couple of times I've gone back to try ammo that didn't work previously and, go figure, it shot fine. I figure it was the break-in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I second the 'break in time'. My PT92 was picky for about 500 rounds. During the first 200 the PMC gave me fits too. Switching from oil to lithium grease on the rails helped, but I was still learning the grip and form for the heavier hunk of metal.

After a few thousand rounds....it eats anything. Anything at all. From the cheapest to the best, no FTF or FTE since that first few hundred rounds.

And accurate? Lol Hell yes. Top target is having fun with double taps. Bottom is one shot at a time paying attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I really like the 92 platform, but too cheap to get the Beretta so I bought a used PT92 last year (by serial number it was a 1990 production and still had the lanyard loop). I have used PMC 115 gr almost exclusively for range ammo for all my 9mm (S&W 915, S&W Sigma, PT709, PT92, Ruger P95, KT P11, and yes, even a HiPoint C9 and 3 of their carbines) and have not had a problem with any of them. I have no doubt there is a lot of truth about some weapons being finicky about ammo and this may be the case here. I like the idea of the use of 124 gr ammo or stick with other 115gr ammo, then try the PMC after break-in.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
The Beretta/Taurus M-92 series is one of the most reliable battle/street proven designs extant.

You should have many decades of outstanding service from your gun.

Congratulations...ENJOY! :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
To me the 92 is one of the sweetest shooting pistols, other than a 1911. And very accurate too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took both my brand new 92A1 and its higher caliber cousin, also brand new, a Taurus PT100 AFS to the range today. The Taurus operated flawlessly shooting Blazer aluminum cased rounds (165gr). My Beretta on the other hand had frequent mis-feeds or failures to feed properly using Remington UMC brass (115gr). Thinking I may be limp-wristing it, I asked my buddy to try it and he too had similar mis-feeds on the Beretta (none on the Taurus).

Looking thru other shooter's forums, I've found a number of Beretta owners complaining about the Remington UMC rounds (dirty, under-powered and frequently mis-feeding) and not recommended as a break-in round. I cleaned both before shooting for the first time -- and will try another brand of 9mm next time on the range. Hoping I simply need to break her in a bit better.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
you will probally find after running a couple of hundred rounds thru. It should feed most any thing.Also keep your mags full and let your springs relax and all should be good

jhp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts