Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[size=12pt]Please forgive me as I'm sure this has probably been posted elsewhere but if so I've not found it. I've heard just as many answers responding in both the affirmative and the negative and I really need to have a definitive and accurate answer so I'll know how best to proceed.

I bought a half-dozen (Italian-made, nickel/stainless) 15 rnd. Beretta magazines awhile back, thinking that I'd be getting a stainless Beretta 92FS in "no time at all" (famous last words). Since then, things have come up - as they invariably do - and so in the meantime I'd been doing more extensive research on them, as I do before making any significant purchase, and I have to say I'm really disturbed at all the plastic they're putting on them. They look like garbage, period. I also learned during this time the story about Taurus taking over the Beretta factory in Brazil and a myriad ways in which the Taurus is actually better than the overpriced Beretta, besides featuring a frame-mounted safety which is absolutely brilliant, it's more sturdy, robust overall construction, and this is backed-up by the all metal parts on the Taurus PT-92 vs. the unfathomable decision by Beretta to use plastic for key components on an otherwise all-metal gun. Plastic is fine if you're buying a Glock, but then again, if that's what I wanted, I would NOT be looking at a Beretta. (Besides, with a Glock where 99% of the entire gun is plastic, there's not an issue of steel slamming against these plastic parts and destroying them. Tell me how much sense it makes to have a plastic recoil-spring assembly, of ALL things, wedged between all steel parts? That is the very definition of insanity and stupidity!)

Anyway, to finally get to the point, I'm now considering abandoning the idea of getting a Beretta 92FS in favour of the Taurus PT-92. It would be really nice if the magazines I bought (even if slight modification were necessary, I wouldn't necessarily mind), which were premium mags and rather expensive, would fit the Taurus PT-92. I'm sure they won't just for spite, since nothing ever works in my favour, but that being the case, you'd have to ask yourself why Taurus wouldn't do something that would convert many potential Beretta customers such as myself from Beretta and sell us on Taurus? The mag interchangeability is HUGE, and would be an incredible selling-point for Taurus and it doesn't take a marketing genius to figure that out.

I guess I'm afraid to hear the answer, fearing it will be "no", but I'll ask it anyway: Will factory Beretta magazines work inside a Taurus PT-92? Because if they do, then I'm already sold on one, period.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the frame safety is actually inherited from the original beretta 92 design.. it was then moved to the slide..

but more to answer your question yes and no..

YES they can be converted to taurus, however this is somewhat a 2 fold exercise..

this is because the shape of the beretta and taurus mags are ever so slightly different on the front corners.. which makes the stubbier taurus mag catch sometimes to instead of sliding inward and around but instead act as a barrier.. hard for me to explain..

but take a beretta mag and try to slip it in, notice you never make it past the mag catch?

the slot on the mag for it to lock in place can be filed larger to fit but this insertion problem can prosiest.. you'll need to make some modifications to your mag catch or somehow reshape the mags.

you could however hold the mag release in and insert the mag no problem.

in my advice it is not worth converting unless you could no longer find taurus compatible mags.

my advice is bite the bullet and buy taurus mags.. which run about 30 bucks a pop.. mec-gars are cheaper at about 20-25.

the upside is most beretta mags are 15rnders and all newer taurus mags are 17 (although i can never fit more then 16 in mine)

so i know it's not what you want to hear.. trust me i wish they was both compatible.. and there is no one i know of making beretta compatible mag catch/release for the taurus.. i wish there was, i have both guns and this is a real thorn.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I believe Taurus will work in a Beretta, but you need some mods ( simple ) for a Beretta to fit a Taurus. Draegger knows for sure. Hopefully he's around. I had the same question a couple months ago. But I since sold the mags and switched to a PT99.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to disagrre with joe sixpack on this one.

I bought a pt-92 recently for the wife, and it only came with one 10rd mag, being a tinkerer, i got out the dremel and and made a beretta mag work, best part is, its easy. This mag was a pro-mag brand mag.

The only diference is the taurus's mag catch is larger , therefore you have to "open up" the beretta mag catch slots to clip into the taurus.

open the slot up about 50% of the original slot to the TOP of the mag.

I used a dremel with a small "cut-off" wheel, but a small file would work also, just take longer....

check it in the gun and it should clip into place, if not go a little bigger, always toward the top of the mag.

Maybe joe was thinking the oposite, as once you convert the mags they will set too low in a beretta mag well to feed properly, so the mod is a one way deal, once converted they wont work in a beretta. also taurus mags dont work in a beretta for the same reason.

Also i just checked to make sure all beretta mags will fit in a taurus, just to make sure only the promags werent the only ones. heres what I found

15rd beretta factory mags fit
10rd beretta factory mags fit
15rd checkmate mags fit
15 rd mec-gars fit
17rd mecgars fit
15 rd eagle mag fits
15rd cheap unknown manufacture mag fits
34rd promag fits
15rd promag fits

I think its safe to say that all beretta92 mags fit in a taurus pt-92 and are able to be converted to taurus mags.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
no i did'nt mean the other way around.. this keeps coming up i'll have to take some pictures to explain it..

the factory mags i have will not simply slip into a taurus.. this is because the taurus catch is larger and stubbier.. it will not slide around the beretta mags because the front of them are shaped different..

as in you stick it in the mag catch should push in, however with factory mags you are met with a brick wall.

the only way to even ATTEMPT to insert the mag all the way is to press in the mag catch..

getting them to lock in place is as simple as you said widing the slot, it's insertion problems that will continue, i've heard some after market mags working but i've yet to see a factory beretta mag insert into a taurus without pressing the mag release in, again im talking insertion not locking the mag in place.

ima go grab a bite to eat and see if i can find my digital camera i'll see if i can get some snaps of what im talking about.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok forgive the poor photos, my camera sucks and all i have is a desklamp for lighting.. did'nt have any white shirts so it's just quick and dirty on my desk.

pictured is 1 beretta factory mag, 1 taurus factory mag, 2 generic beretta mags, the generics where givin to me so i dont know what brand they are, they have no names.. they look very simliar but have different springs and followers so i dont know if they're the same company or not.

here is a good shot of the slot the mag catch/release locks into, this is the easy part in conversion you'll notice the beretta has a wider but shorter slot where the taurus mag is more stubby, it's taller but more narrow.. a needle file or other such tool will work for converting the mags but this only works for locking in place as you'll see insertion of factory mags is a problem.

below is a good shot of all 4 mags.. you'll notice how much more square the edges are on the beretta mags.. the taurus mags have a more rounded edge.

below you'll see the beretta mag, although it looks like it should slip right past the mag catch it does'nt.. and it's not a matter of force either because i put way more then was reasonable and it will not budge.
if you was to sand or cut down the mag catch just a little bit you could probably get it to push in and still stay functional on taurus mags.
It's the magazines corner combined with the size and shape of the taurus mag catch that limits it.

here you see the taurus mag in the gun.. it's more rounded corners it will insert normally.

although it looked like they turned out on the cameras screen the ones for the generics did'nt turn out very well..

the 2 generic mags will insert if you force them.. depending on the angle you insert them they bind up..
the generics actually have a little wiggle room in the mag well.. so depending on the angle it will either slip in (although a little rough) or hit the mag catch like a brick wall.. same as the factory beretta mags.

the beretta and taurus factory mags however are obviously better made and have almost no wiggle room once inserted in the mag well, so you can't even wiggle the beretta past the mag catch.

this is the problem with beretta factory mags the shape of their edges.. without modification to the mag or the mag catch you can't insert it all the way..

hope this helps explain the problem with factory beretta mags, although apparently some after market mags out there work, i dont have any after markets except these 2 generics i dont even use them on the beretta let alone the taurus, i never had afeeding problem but they dont like ot lock back on last round and just dont trust them for anything but range.

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
Take a file and lightly bevel the corner of the generic magazines and they will go right in without any forcing. You only need to bevel the side the magazine release locks into, which is the opposite side of the Magazine Release Pushbutton. You can see in your pic where the magazine release is hitting that corner of the generic magazine. Disassemble magazine to modify.

I had gotten some early Sabatti PT92 magazines that had that, beveled them, and they went right in! Sabatti probably used modified Beretta 92 tooling to make them. Still have many of them.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jwc there is no picture of the generic mags in the gun, if you read they did'nt turn out, and its a pain to go back and take more photos, the first picture is the beretta factory mag, and the 2nd picture is the taurus factory mag.. you can see the difference.

i was simply pointing out factory mags wont work without either reshapping the mag or doing some work on the mag catch..

aftermarket mags have been reported to work without any modification other then the slot on the mag.

which is what i tried to explain from post#1 they can be made to work but it will require more then just opening the slot up a little with a file.

when you can get mec-gars made for the taurus for the same price as beretta mags.. unless you wanna go with 15rounders which can be had for about 15bucks, i'd rather pay the extra 5 and get extra capacity plus you KNOW they will have the correct fit..

to me it's not worth it, but i tried to point out is that you can't simply resize the slot and all is good on factory mags, can they be converted? yes i said this much before but it's not just a matter of increasing the slot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see what you are saying now joe....But They slide right in withourt pressing the bag realease on my pt 92AR.......If i really try to tweak the mag when sliding it in slowly it will hang up, but on a normal reload, they all slide right in.

I would like to hear from some others on weather or not beretta mags slide in or hang up in their tauruses. I have a feeling that Its so close that some will, and some wont....Mine is a used gun, but I would estimate it to have about 6-8k through it judging by wear.

If buying new, yes buy the mag that is for the gun, but if you have a pile of beretta mags and you buy a taurus, Its easy to convert them. i would just pull out the mag catch and give it a little fileing if it needed it.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
hmm ya i suppose could be different gun for gun, i have the newer design with rail..

if someone manufactured a after market catch fitted for beretta mags that would be awesome.. sadly i dont know anyone who has yet :/

i have both guns and i wish i could share mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts