Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had multiple major surgeries a few years ago which wiped out my girlish figure and finding a concealed holster has been a real bear. I finally found a High Noon "tuckable" holster which I like a lot, but got to looking at the belly band holsters. I bought one and tried it today and surprisingly I like it. The most irritating thing I've heard is that it pulls the gut in, but when you've got little muscle tone left that is an advantage which may prompt me to wear the belt with the gun. My mode of attire is dress casual or a suit. As with most, the hardest part of the pistol to hide is the grip which tends to stick out. The band can be worn so that the belt rides over the grip holding it in without exposure.

I have no problem with the limited access that having a shirt tucked in brings... worst case, I can feign a heart attack to give me cover to get at the pistol (which may not be a feign). And at least I have no worry about being identified as carrying. It's not for everyone, but it's not that bad either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Old Fat Guys Unite. I carry IWB, pocket, and Belly Band. I use the Belly Band when I can ware a "T"-Shirt under a cover shirt. I may use it more when Ohio's in car carry changes to fully concealed. You can ware them like Thunder Ware,or like a armpit holster, or any place in the middle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Belly Bands are a good way to carry, but some don't like them because they feel "confined" by them, kind of like wearing Panty-hose (or so I hear...).

Either way, it sounds like you have a good idea going. I personally would want to have a little quicker access to ther gun. Have you considered ankle carry or getting a pocket gun like a KelTec?

Todd

·
Registered
539 Posts
As for quick access the cover shirt is a xx large and easy to get under or into. If it is used for deep concealment such as thunderware, I also carry a pocket gun. I only carry revolvers so a pair of five shooters is the norm.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've considered a lot of options... the Kel-Tec P3-A, a Taurus M85, etc. However, with the belly band I can wear my PT145 (gun of preference) without any notice. I wore it all day yesterday (not a normal occurrence) and in public without wondering if anyone could see any imprints. I don't have the option to wear a shirt out... but I've learned that the shirt can be tugged, the gun removed with minimal effort.

Let me clarify an observation. There is NO perfect holster. It depends on where you are, what you are doing, and how you are required to dress. These things change. What works for me, may not work for you... that's why Baskin-Robbins makes 128 flavors!

·
Registered
119 Posts
They are great when you're wearing gym shorts or sweats, or any other type of pants that does not have a sturdy belt. It's best to get a Belly Band that is two sizes larger.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The photojournalist vest is one of the old standby's for concealment. The drawback is that in some areas it screams GUN. Now, it you add a camera or bunch of other junk so it looks like you actually are wearing it for all the pockets than it becomes concealment.

I've heard of people adding fishing stuff (helps if you actually fish so you can talk the talk if asked) or camera stuff with a camera around your neck.

Also, don't forget where you put the gun, would be embarrassing. :-[

Steelheart

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm a young (24) fat man that just bought a PT145, and I tell you what...I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out which holster I want to "try out" first. By try out, I mean wear around the house, since I'll be taking the course at the end of June.

My usual attire when I go out is either jeans/khakis, in either a pant or short, and a polo or t-shirt that is never tucked in. Actually let me find a picture that doesn't make me look like an idiot...

Alright, well I still look like an idiot but you get the idea...that's my new home D shotty by the way.

Anyway, I could put a gun in the cargo pocket of those pants, but I don't always wear them. I'm not sure an IWB would work, namely because I keep my belt pretty tight to keep my pants up. I'm the fat man anomaly, I have no backside. That's right, I have a negative butt zone...and I wear my belt on my hips, not my waist. The gut just looks weird tucked in, I know, I'm weird.

I'm thinking about trying a paddle first, since I always wear shirts that are two sizes too big. I dunno. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Take look at a Don Hume JIT, its a leather OWB belt slide. They are inexpensive but not cheap. I've got them for 2 autos. Its my primary holster for my makarov and a back-up holster for my XD. I've heard of many people who use them as cross draw holsters as well (for a second gun). I've tried it for a revolver and it just didn't work for me but it has worked for others.

Try here for the purchase, they have better prices than direct and a great return policy, and yes, I've used it.
http://www.gunnersalley.com/

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Let us know how it works for you. Gunners Alley is usually pretty good. There was a dry spell a while back on JIT's. Apparently DH couldn't keep up.

Steelheart

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just got the confirmation e-mail that it was shipped today. Woo!

The funny thing is, I went to the store today and they have a HUGE wall of holsters. However, the holster I bought online was $22...at the store it was $40. Good thing I bought it first!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My JIT arrived today, ironically right after I returned from breaking in my PT145. It's nice. I need to use the bag trick though. I strapped it on and my gun wouldn't come out unless I gave it a hard tug. I think I'll order a different style sometime soon. Gotta try 'em all right?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats why many people end up with a drawer or box full of holsters.

I'd say to use the bag method to break it in and then give it a whirl. Remember that you want it to need some tug so it doesn't fall out. Bag it and let it sit overnight, then give it a try. I think one of my leather holsters took a couple of days to break in nice. I use the method listed on Milt Sparks's site (under FAQ).

I think on mine I have to be a little more careful with the angle I draw from, its been a while since I used it. What feels strange is to go from kydex to leather, the amount and duration of force needed to draw is different between the two. Its not a big difference, just something that you notice

Steelheart

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wrapped the gun in the thick plastic bag the holster came in, it seems to be loosening it up enough for a "strong" draw, not a tugfest like it was at first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Upon wearing it around the house, this holster is definitely going to be a winter one. It prints far too much to wear with a t-shirt or a polo that's not tucked in. Which is alright, I've got a leather jacket it will go with quite nicely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey man, I have the EXACT same carry problem as you. I'm a big guy with 0 buttox. I have a hard time keeping my pants up with just my wallet in the back pocket. I've tried IWB carry but it's just not practical. I have to keep the belt so tight while I'm walking just to keep my pants up that when I actually sit down (like getting in the car) it was so uncomfortable I had to take the gun out. At that point when I went to get out of the car I had to try and wrestle the gun back in the holster without anyone noticing.

I dont really like the idea of a belly band because I dont want to wear a t-shirt OVER the run. that creates access issues.

I also tried the cargo pants like you have and actually went so far as to sew a holster into the cargo pocket. It was a so/so solution and eventually I rant into the same situation. the gun weighed so much I had to keep my belt too right.

After much pondering I finally found a solution that works great for me.

I wear a light weight t-shirt and on top of that I wear a standard police-style shoulder holster in a horizontal position under my left arm. (cross pull since i'm right handed)

Over that I will put a nice light rayon/polyester hawian style shirt that i keep unbuttoned.

For comfort and concealment reasons I adjusted the shoulder rig to carry the gun lower down, about the middle of my rig cage so that when i'm walking the gun is sitting in the natural bend of my left elbow. That tends to mask any sticking out. I also adjusted the straps so that it's carried a little further back than normal. In the few instances I've had the wind pick up all I have to do is keep my left arm down and nobody can see anything.

I have found though that the first shoulder rig I bought is a little uncomfortable for wearing for several hours. In that particular rig the holster hangs from a sling on my left shoulder and is secured by a nylon band around my right arm/shoulder. Something about that design causes some uncomfortable muscle stress in my upper right shoulder if i'm wearing it for more than an hour. I'm sure it has something to do with the weight of my fully loaded .45 too.

In the next few months I'm going to purchase a better shoulder rig. I found one I really like. It allows you to carry a few magazines under one arm and the gun under the other. That should balance the weight out and I wont have the pulling strap that causes the muscle issue.

Something similar to this is what I'm looking at buying soon: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40294-48320-2729.html

I did find that using the nylon rig it was easy to cut and re-sew the rig so that it was a custom fit for me. If i could find a design like this in a nylon setup I would probably prefer that over leather for that very reason.

I hope this helps man. I'm very happy with this carry method for me and it sounds like we're in the same boat.

Drewbacca said:
I'm a young (24) fat man that just bought a PT145, and I tell you what...I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out which holster I want to "try out" first. By try out, I mean wear around the house, since I'll be taking the course at the end of June.

My usual attire when I go out is either jeans/khakis, in either a pant or short, and a polo or t-shirt that is never tucked in. Actually let me find a picture that doesn't make me look like an idiot...

Alright, well I still look like an idiot but you get the idea...that's my new home D shotty by the way.

Anyway, I could put a gun in the cargo pocket of those pants, but I don't always wear them. I'm not sure an IWB would work, namely because I keep my belt pretty tight to keep my pants up. I'm the fat man anomaly, I have no backside. That's right, I have a negative butt zone...and I wear my belt on my hips, not my waist. The gut just looks weird tucked in, I know, I'm weird.

I'm thinking about trying a paddle first, since I always wear shirts that are two sizes too big. I dunno. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speaking as a middle aged fat guy, I have had two successes with holsters for my PT145. Depending on the pants/shorts and the pockets, I can carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Front pocket is a little crowded sometimes, and in cargo pants it tends to flop around a little, but it works. Even better though, is a Galco I bought at Cabela's for about $30.00 +/-. I originally bought it for my Springfield XD45, and for which it is labeled. But the PT145 fits in it perfectly. It clips onto my belt and has been very secure, but it also comes off easily if I am going to be sitting down for a long time.

Drewbacca, I get my belts at Casual Male XL. They have George Foreman belts that give a little when you sit. It makes them a whole lot more comfortable.

Oh yeah, one other option that works real well for certain situations is the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Mrs. Plinker gave me one for my birthday last year, and while it is a man purse, it is great for hikes (yes, fat guys can go on hikes!) carrying cameras, and all sorts of other activities. I even used it as my carry on bag at the airport, although certain accessories needed to be removed first! :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts