Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly becoming a huge fan of belly band holsters. Never used one in 22 years but recently picked one up at a gun show. It holds 2 guns (from J-frame size up to a 5-inch barrel autoloader plus extra pockets for wallet, keys and two extra mags. It has been holding up nicely since I got it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a belly band when I wear drawstring shorts, or anything that doesn't use a belt. I've got a medium, which fits my 380 nicely. I think I'm going to get a large at the next gun show, so I can carry my larger carry pistols too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been wearing them for years,problem is,you can't tell when your pants are falling down. I tuck the front of my shorts over the band ,problem solved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have owned one for years and use it on occasion for a Model 642 S&W. Must admit, I'm not totally comfortable with the way it fits. I find myself pulling up on it quite a bit. Beats a paper sack though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Belly band holsters. Hhhmmm, I can think of 4 different times I had a bellyband picked out and ready to pay for it and changed my mind. I didn't know if it would serve my purpose well or not.Now I see ya'll like them, being Taurus owners and all. So maybe it's time to carry through with the purchase on my weekly Sunday trip to the gunshop. I admit, there is another holster I thought about for awhile and procrastinated in making the pruchase. It's the "fanny pack" holster. I finally bought one and frankly now I'm on my second one, because I wore the first one out with carrying everyday. I drive a Taxi cab, so a weapon that is in a crossdraw position is a handy thing for me on a couple of occasions. I don't go anywhere without it. Even if I'm wearing a pancake on my days off, I still take my "fanny pack" and put it in the trunk. Next I wish I could find a comfortable ankle holster that hold my B.u.g.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BO said:
Been wearing them for years,problem is,you can't tell when your pants are falling down. I tuck the front of my shorts over the band ,problem solved.
ill have to say now thats a problem, you could ankle yourself and not know it huh?lol i have thought about them alot myself, but i sweat alot i am thinking the amount of washing mine would require would result in a wore out holster

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
They work for the compacts but I never was really sold on the idea. As for the fanny pack the only people I see wearing those now are the people who carry, so its a dead giveaway. I am warming up to the idea of a manpurse. I have a satchel that is small enough to call that and it doesn't look conspicuos sometimes I'll tuck my gun in there. Just remember to open it enough to get what you need out and not show the world your hardware.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've had good luck with the belly band... since I have a problem with my stomach... granted too much of it... but also since I've had surgery that split me from my throat to my pubic bone and left me with a very tender belly. A good belt holster fits nice, but I have to cinch up my belt until it hurts. The belly band spreads the pressure out. I haven't tried carrying my PT1911, but my PT145 fits nicely.

Some people can wear loose clothes and for them it hardly matters. Some of us wear business dress regularly but I never know when a coat is going to be to warm and need to be discarded. The belly band is a nice totally concealed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm really going to display my ignorance here ..... How does a belly band work? That is, how do you access the weapon? I can only imagine ripping open your shirt or even reaching up under your shirt. Makes sense in an emergency, of course. But does it take more time then drawing from an IWB holster? And, don't you have the risk of the weapon hanging up in the clothing?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The thing about a Belly Band is you can place it as high as a sholder holster or as low as a Smart Cary and anyware inbeetween

·
Registered
846 Posts
Oldscott, I really enjoy my belly band or waist band. Mine holds the gun grip up on my rt. side.I have never timed myself or tried old west fast draw but I feel it's no slower than a hip one. I guess I have a small waist only 32 but I have no problems hiding my Pro's with it. If needed I just go under my shirt, grab the grip, hit thumb break, pull and release safety,in one smooth action, it's really all smooth once you get used to it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd guess that the ease of access isn't much different from a tucked conventional holster. It might take a little more practice to get comfortable but it sure beats just having harsh language!

Steelheart

·
Registered
846 Posts
Very true I bet most of us would get to it either way if we believed it was needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts