Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** Nuts!

`The obvious answer is call the cops, but this looked like a rural area and who knows how long it would take for them to get there. I guess this guy did it right by just being a good witness, but it's crazy how many innocent lives were in serious jeopardy.`

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
`Try to get ahead of them so I could offer them up another drink.....It's a `special blend` often known as the 'Molotov'...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thank God no innocent lives were lost, that guy must have been hammered. There was not enough time to do anything about it except pray that no one was injured or killed.

·
21,932 Posts
I was driving home from work one night and followed a guy like that. All over the road changing speeds and very
erratic.

We passed 2 deputies sitting in the middle of the 4 lanes. I pulled over and asked them if they noticed the drunk ass.
They said no but pursued him. They had him pulled over in a parking lot of a closed gas station. I slowed and looked
over when I passed. He could hardly stand.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was driving home from work one night and followed a guy like that. All over the road changing speeds and very
erratic.

We passed 2 deputies sitting in the middle of the 4 lanes. I pulled over and asked them if they noticed the drunk ass.
They said no but pursued him. They had him pulled over in a parking lot of a closed gas station. I slowed and looked
over when I passed. He could hardly stand.
`You just might of saved some peoples lives....glad you stopped and spoke with the Law.....The correct thing to do.`

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
X2 on the Pit!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This is sort of like the time the wife and I followed an older lady probably in her 70's wearing her white gloves driving down a rural blacktop highway out for her Sunday Drive. We had to follow her for about 30 miles because she would vary her speed from about 35 MPH to about 50 MPH and swerve from shoulder to shoulder on the road and every time she would meet an oncoming vehicle instead of steering away from it she would steer toward it one time she had the rear end pumpkin well over the center line when she passed a pick-up and almost forced it into the ditch. I was afraid to attempt to pass her for fear that she would swerve into me as I passed and I was pulling a boat. She finally pulled off when we got to the first town.

I know that I should have gotten on the radio and contacted the sheriff's department to report it, but I thought that they would probably pull her license and driving was probably her only means of getting around and remaining independent? I know I was wrong by not reporting her, but I still feel sorry for older people. The older neighbor lady here finally gave up her license and finally sold ( basically gave ) her pick-up to her Grandson and she is so proud of how he has worked on it and got it all fixed up. The wife and I along with a couple of her neices take her to town to shop or pick up groceries and what ever else she wants if she doesn't feel up to getting out.

·
17,584 Posts
I've had that happen to me, only we were on the interstate and I was riding with a reserve sheriff deputy (and a couple of kids on our way to a father/son camp-out) that had a radio in his Tahoe. He managed to raise a DPS trooper to pull him over. It wasn't quite as scary since the oncoming traffic was on the other side of a wide median. But nobody wanted to pass him so we had a long line of cars backed up behind us. He was doing about 50 in a 70 and was having trouble keeping his F150 in the two available lanes. After about 10 minutes we rolled up on a DPS trooper waiting for him in the median. The guy stopped for the trooper, in the middle of the westbound lanes of I-10. We had to stop and my friend got out and moved the vehicle for the trooper.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
This driver did the right thing +1, the video as evidence; now that's a great witness.

Regardless of an urban or rural environment a cell call should go along with the video.

Most good dispatchers will tell you to stay on the line continually reporting in your location till help arrives.

I've had the displeasure of having to vector in the Calvary via cell phone when off duty on a number of occasions. Don't be shy about doing this, you're saving lives; including that of the drunk driver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drunk driver

Call 911, give as much info as you can get ie...veh tag number, make and model of veh. color and direction of travel. At this point you've done all that a responsible citizen can do. If you stop him, and thats a really,really big if. You cannot reason with a drunk!!! Here comes the confrontation and no one wins they'll be out of jail before you get out of the E.R. And we won't even consider terminal justice.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
several years ago I called 911 about the driver in front of me swerving all over the road. I gave make/model and lic #, then I was told put my flashers on and stay behind the person as a trooper was about 1 mile ahead. When we got to the tropper she pulled the card over and motioned for me to pull over also. I was still on the phone with dispatcher and they verified yes pull over. 30-45 mins later I was on my way, glad I was just on my way home and not needing to get somewhere. That makes me think twice before calling again.

·
Super Moderator
35,565 Posts
several years ago I called 911 about the driver in front of me swerving all over the road. I gave make/model and lic #, then I was told put my flashers on and stay behind the person as a trooper was about 1 mile ahead. When we got to the tropper she pulled the card over and motioned for me to pull over also. I was still on the phone with dispatcher and they verified yes pull over. 30-45 mins later I was on my way, glad I was just on my way home and not needing to get somewhere. That makes me think twice before calling again.
I've called in one one that was travelling in front of me and was all over the road. We were headed into my home town so I called the non-emergency number, gave the license and description of that car and mine. I saw them following the car for a while before they pulled him over. I would have done them no good as they cannot use my testimony. They need to observe for themselves to establish probable cause.

Reactions: LongTermGuy

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I think they did the right thing. The temptation is great to gently nudge him off the road, but its not the right thing to do. Not to mention not good for your pain job. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Very scary video. The driver if found to be drunk or high needs to have license thrown away and jailed. I honestly can't feel sorry that he crashed in the end. Him crashing probably saved someone's life. Biggz:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts