Taurus Firearm Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
I get Zilla for under a buck a pound. The Kaytee looks like a little more BUT I did not know about it and that will be a great backup if I need it!! Thanks.

Bullets, brass, powder, primers, etc.
I'm fortunate to have local suppliers that have been able to keep stock on the shelves - that is now starting to show a bit thin. The net is tough - like ammo reloading supplies are pretty hard to find (though I spend less time looking than others). Powder and primers require an added Hazmat fee as they are flammable / explosive. This makes small purchases of those rather costly. Bullets are also in short supply and I see brass but it is usually the 'good' stuff. That will serve you well in the long run but cost more up front. I have been keeping my brass and picking up more at ranges for some time. That is a good way to get 'free' brass.

Plywood state = FL, yes? Are you near a major municipality - check into gun shops that specialize in reloading. make friends - find out when they have shipments coming or offer to pre-buy to 'reserve' some for yourself.

What calibers (pistol? rifle?) are you interested in? Powders can be very caliber specific - some much more than others. That's something to learn and sort out before you buy 8 pounds on the net and find out it is not what you wanted.

Most major forums have reloading areas where a lot of these details have already been discussed - more searches! Glock Talk, ar15.com (not as friendly as here but lots in history) - Brian Enos forum is a great place with a lot of competition minded shooters but FAR less in the BS department as well.

Take a look through Graf's on line to see what is (ideally) available. it is a wasteland right now - not much in stock BUT it is a well organized site with a lot of popular items that you mentioned: Graf & Sons - The Reloading Authority - Your Source for Shooting Supplies

Have a look around - ask questions when you have them.

Did a search for reloading supplies couldn't find any, used all the links in the stickies and more, anyone have suggestions? Going to FS for the press, etc.
well i don't know what is currently available in stock but go to Powder Valley or Midway USA and you can likely find a listing on about whatever that you want.
Powder and primers require a haz mat certificate as mentioned( 1 certificate will ship about 70- pounds of materials.) so if ordering small amounts ( less than say 5-6000 primers and 4-5 pounds of powder) then you may come out cheaper going to the local gunshop/reloading shiop, if ordering these amounts i think you will come out well ahead by buying online.
just have to check your prices locally.

Reloading equipment seems to be out of stock in many places. Hopefull supply starts coming back up.

well reloading is certainly a good way to keep stock and save a few bucks!
right now its hard to round up components for a newbie to start though.
My biggest thing is finding primers, although i am sitting on many thousands, i do keep an eye out for a few more thousand if i happen upon them.
But it is nice to just go down to the Frankenstein Laboratory, get a buch of assorted pieces and make a complete monster to fire!
I loaded 100 rounds of 10 MM jacketed hollow points this morning in about an hour for around 20-21 bucks, thats a savings for sure.

I loaded 2 boxes of 44 Special using 180 gr. JHP I have had for almost 10 years, I figure they have ripened enough to pluck and load. Don't know what the cost of the 100 rounds is. The powder was discontinued some years back also. But it is comforting to be able to do that; I don't normally shoot jacketed bullets but I have a brand new Taurus Tracker 44 that needs the rifling polished a little before I submit cast for it's approval.

I loaded 2 boxes of 44 Special using 180 gr. JHP I have had for almost 10 years, I figure they have ripened enough to pluck and load. Don't know what the cost of the 100 rounds is. The powder was discontinued some years back also. But it is comforting to be able to do that; I don't normally shoot jacketed bullets but I have a brand new Taurus Tracker 44 that needs the rifling polished a little before I submit cast for it's approval.
Yep, pretty much the same with me!
New pistola, have ran 50 rds JHP through it and now running anothe 50 to test function, the other 50 goes in the ammo dump in case I ever want to actually tote this monster.
Typically shoot plated projectiles as well.
Reloading is a great hobby for many and as mentioned in times of problems locating new factory ammo its a God Sent as well as saving money.

Reactions: guesser
I guess I have a slightly different take on beginning reloading. Oh, I agree a manual needs to be the first step. If you can find a friend who reloads it would be best to let them show you the ropes. That will help you the most in deciding what equipment you will want, as well as helping you get started with good safe reloading habits. But looking back, if I were unsure about reloading and wanting to get my feet wet without a huge investment, I would start with some cheap investments, but also ones that I will still use as I move further into the hobby.

So here's my list:

1. Manual
2. Lee Hand Press (you will always find more uses for this press even if you move onto progressives later)
3a. Set of Carbide 4 die Lee set for .45 Auto (this includes a taper crimp die)
3b. Set of Hornady Neck resizing die set for the 7-08 (if you have a bolt gun, if auto get the Full Length Resizing dies) because they come with a rebate for 100 free bullets.
4. Digital Scale, they are both cheap and very accurate.
5. Powder Trickler
6. Loading Block, you can make one with a thick board and a drill press, or just buy a plastic one for a couple of bucks.
7. Case lube and lubing pad(only needed for the rifle brass)

NOTE: Neck resizing is easy with the Hand Press, FLR, unless all of your brass is being fired in your rifle before reloading, requires considerably more effort. I got hold of some military .308 brass once that had been run through a MG and even with my big old RCBS Rock Chucker it was difficult to do a full length resize.

Since you are loading relatively new brass (only fired one or two times) you can heat up water for cleaning, add a few tablespoons of lemon juice, let the brass soak for 15 minutes or so, and then dry. I still use this method before I make the brass all shiny with my Vibe Tumbler.

With this setup you can start making test loads and really get a good idea if reloading is something you want to do. I would start with the pistol loads because they are much simpler and do not require lubing the cases.

As you gain experience you will find a number of other tools will make life easier.

1. Bullet puller for fixing mistakes
2. Primer pocket cleaner and case brush
3. Chamfer tool
4. Vibe Tumbler with media (Some of the house brands are pretty good and cheap, like Midway's Frankfurt Arsenal)
5. Universal Deprimer die...even though I have another big press, I still deprime before I clean with the Hand Press. It is quick, easy and I don't have to go back and scrape primer pockets.
6. Hand Priming Tool with shell holders
7. Powder Measure...Get one that has micrometer adjustments. This doesn't make a measure more accurate but it makes it repeatable, so you can mark down the setting for one caliber, use the measure on other calibers and then come back and reset without having to go through the whole adjustment process again. Screw in stems just can not do this effectively. I personally don't care for or use the disk type measures, but they work for some people.
8. A Caliber...I would start with a cheap one, if you feel the need for a better one later you can still use the cheap one for checking accuracy of the better one.
9. Case trimmer...I had been reloading for quite a while before I started using one. Consistency and repeatability is the name of the game in reloading, so anything that can help that is useful.
10. A better Press

I wrote this rather quickly so I may have missed something, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I did.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.