Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Yes here is a picture of my Lee Classic Turret with the locking bench plates mounting it. I also have an Inline Fabrications arm on mine. Beside it is my Lee Classic single stage but mine is the one that takes 1 1/4 dies with a piece that converts it to 7/8 dies. I've change the piece using a Hornady insert that allows it to have quick change with the 7/8" dies. I did this as you can see from the picture to use it for some shot shell reloading with RCBS cowboy die.

Attachments

How room do you need to re-load?

Do you delicate an area of the basement\home just for re-loading?

Is static electricity an issue?
You can build a 2' x 4" bench top by laminating 4 equal pieces cut from a 4 x 8 x 3/4" sheet of plywood (1/2 would work also). Clamp it to a Black & Decker Workmate and you have a portable reloading bench. Static has been reported to be an issue in high humidity areas which can make your powder stick in the hopper. A wipe with a dryer sheet usually solves the issue.

You can build a 2' x 4" bench top by laminating 4 equal pieces cut from a 4 x 8 x 3/4" sheet of plywood (1/2 would work also). Clamp it to a Black & Decker Workmate and you have a portable reloading bench. Static has been reported to be an issue in high humidity areas which can make your powder stick in the hopper. A wipe with a dryer sheet usually solves the issue.

That looks good and I already have a Workmate.

Thanks for the info.

You are halfway there. Mine is a Menard's folding bench designed to be used as a table saw (with a 7 1/4 circular saw clamped under) or a router table, scroll saw table, etc. As it doesn't have a clamping mechanism I used C clamps to the table top.

With the Workmate you can just fasten a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 across the center width of the underside of your reloading table and clamp that in the jaws of the Workmate.

I had some 1/4 melamine board on hand so I cut a piece to use as a finished work surface and used liquid nails to secure it to the boards.

I bought a bench for $70 from Walmart but others sell them also. It is made by Stack-On as I need to be able to move it fairly easily as well as little space to load in. One is picture below is from the ad the other is mine setup with a Lee Pro 1000 press on it that I've since sold buying the Lee Classic Turret. It is a very sturdy bench also but light wait with all steel construction as well as peg board steel panels on each side for hanging tools, parts etc.

Attachments

You don't need much room to do the reloading. Storage of the components is another issue.

Lee makes a stand that is all you need. A little pricey but you get the idea. Harbor freight has a universal bench grinder stand that also would work fine.

Nearly all powder comes in plastic containers now, as well as primers in plastic trays, bullets in plastic boxes, loaded ammunition in plastic trays, some parts on loading presses and priming tools are plastic. I really don't see a problem with static electricity.

The best part about mine what that I had everything on hand except for the 1/4 x 20 x 2" threaded screws that I used to mount my press. It cost me about 60 cents to put it together (cheap son of a gun that I am :D ).

Thanks for the photo of the Lee stand though...My folding stand isn't as stable as a Workmate and so will "walk" a bit over the time of a session. I'll have to scrounge a weight like that concrete block to convince it to stay in one place!

I picked up the grinder stand for under $25.00 about a year ago. It has come in handy for many things. When I get around to getting a cheap single stage press, it will probably reside on top of there for de-priming brass and loading 30-30’s.

get old desks, chests of drawers, etc, for almost nothing at thrift stores, and use shelf braces and lag bolts to screw them into the wall studs and the floor, and run pipe and a screw jack up to the ceiling, to add the weight of the entire house to hold it steady! :) or put a lot of scrap metal, water jugs, etc, in the base of it to weigh it down. buy USED gear, on EBay or craigslist, man. it goes for less than 1/4 of the price of the cheapest new stuff, the simple, one at a time presses, dies, etc. I would NOT buy a used powder scale, tho. I wouldn't bother with a powder measure, they are a waste of money, mostly, certainly not buy a new one. just use the right Lee powder dipper, or make your own out of cut down fired cases, with a twist of wire around them. get them close to the right weigth, toss the powder into the scale and "pinch" a bit of powder between (clean and dry) thumb and finger and "trickle" the powder untl the scale beam zeroes out.

Are the digital calipers for rifle cases, pistol or both, been reading this post got me thinking, going to do a search for bullet components and yes FS has the best prices for presses.

p.s. downloaded the lee catalog, took a look and the drool started

Got a Harbor Freight near you? Their rock tumblers clean brass very well. They have two sizes - this is what I use: Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler

AND They always have 20% off coupons available in local papers or on line:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1706668&d=1357459727

I use Zilla - lizard litter (it's a lot more expensive when you call the same stuff polishing medium!) it's made of crushed walnut shells with a generic dryer sheet cut up in the mix:
Food Ingredient Snack Cuisine

Got a Harbor Freight near you? Their rock tumblers clean brass very well. They have two sizes - this is what I use: Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler

AND They always have 20% off coupons available in local papers or on line:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1706668&d=1357459727

I use Zilla - lizard litter (it's a lot more expensive when you call the same stuff polishing medium!) it's made of crushed walnut shells with a generic dryer sheet cut up in the mix:
View attachment 45177
I actually get my walnut media from them as it comes in both course and fine. I use the fine Fine Grade Walnut Shell Blast Media - Harbor Freight Tools It too is often on sale.

Are the digital calipers for rifle cases, pistol or both, been reading this post got me thinking, going to do a search for bullet components and yes FS has the best prices for presses.

p.s. downloaded the lee catalog, took a look and the drool started
You'll use your calipers for checking brass case length, bullet diameter, combined overall length of the finished round and other things I can't think of right now :D.

You will want one, need one, and it's one of the less expensive pieces of equipment that you will get.

There is also a bird litter that can be used, is basically the same thing as the Zilla, but sometimes you can find it on sale for less.

Kaytee Walnut Litter for Birds at PETCO

Reactions: mingaa
Did a search for reloading supplies couldn't find any, used all the links in the stickies and more, anyone have suggestions? Going to FS for the press, etc.

Did a search for reloading supplies couldn't find any, used all the links in the stickies and more, anyone have suggestions? Going to FS for the press, etc.
I ordered most of my equipment through Graf's. Another good place is Mid-South. You can sometimes find really good reloading
deals at Natchez Shooters Supplies. Of course, there is always Midway .

Another good place to find some things is Amazon. I picked up my tumbler there for about $35, shipped.

Reactions: mingaa
Sure I like lead cast bullets but also use some plated and jacketed. Now depending on the caliber and grain as well as soft cast or hard cast, gas checked etc is where I buy.

Bullet suppliers I use mostly are:
Friendswood Bullet Co. - Premium Hard Cast Bullets - Lead Bullets or Bullets | Quality Cast depending on who has the best price at the time as they are basically the same bullets.

A little bit of everything here for hunting, target and cowboy shooting with black powder
Quality hand-cast bullets for reloaders, competitors, and recreational shooters - Montana Bullet Works

These are for hunting and hard cast:
Home

Plated bullets:
I have used Berry's but buy them from Midway or direct

Jacketed:
Quality hand-cast bullets for reloaders, competitors, and recreational shooters - Montana Bullet Works
or Gold Dot from Midway, Georgia Arms etc.

Brass I buy on line when people sell it or new brass for Starline direct. Occasionally from Midway for Remington or Winchester.

Powder I buy locally at Sportsman Warehouse as well as primers.

Shot shell supplies I buy either local again or for cowboy action from Buffalo Arms (black powder stuff)

Now this is all but it is those I buy from on a regular basis however I often get good deals on bullets and brass on line in some of the reloading forums such as High Road or Cast Boolits among some others. An example is I picked up 350 hard cast 405 gr bullets for $50 delivered for my 45-70 rifle.

I ordered most of my equipment through Graf's. Another good place is Mid-South. You can sometimes find really good reloading
deals at Natchez Shooters Supplies. Of course, there is always Midway .

Another good place to find some things is Amazon. I picked up my tumbler there for about $35, shipped.
I'm lucky to have a family spinoff of Graf's right here in the region - a well stocked storefront pointed at reloading with very knowledgable staff. They sell premium presses like car salesmen but the prices and stock on supplies is GREAT! Denny Dennis is another lg. local sports store that supports reloading well here and then there is Cabela's - where I bought my Lee turret setup as a loss-leader sale item!

What is it that you are looking for that has not been addressed?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.