Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a pt111 mil pro yesterday! my question is has anybody ever had trouble with their slide lock. mine seems to work only sometimes. i have taken it apart, cleaned it and oiled it (especially the lock). but it doesn't always lock! HELP!!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Hmmm! What are you doing when it will not work? With the mag in place, or out. Trying to move the lever with your finger, or allowing it to lock back on an empty mag? Firing or manual operation?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use the key that came with the gun. i've tried it with an empty mag and a loaded magazine! i've tried it upside down and sideways even. it seems like it won't turn all the way. i just managed to lock it......we'll see how long that lasts lol

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Sir that lock should only be done, when the gun is closed, not loaded, and the trigger is pulled to release the SA striker. I thought you were talking about the lever that locks the slide open!!
Most of us never use it, and load up with one in the chamber and set the safety.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You mean the Taurus Security System with the locking mechanism on the slide. Ahhh...we thought you meant the slide stop.

It only takes a gentle quarter of a turn to lock and unlock it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess thats why i'm a BEGINNER! lol, this is my first gun!!!!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I never use mine, but I do remember something about not locking it with a round in the chamber. You can break it.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
it seems stupid that it wont work unless it's already unloaded to me anyway.

the way it currently works taurus should just take it out of the gun it does'nt do much for it's looks and not nearly as useful as it could be.

·
32,737 Posts
It's recommended to read the owners manual through all the way. Get used to the various ways the gun works,

Getting some basic instruction from the accreditied NRA or other accredited course would be of immense value. These course can be eye opening and get you started down the right path safely and instill the proper shooting techniques as well. Thus stopping getting into bad or potential unsafe habits or situations before they happen. Local ranges, gun stores, or gun clubs have these.

Usually these courses can be one to one, hands on. The instructors are all personable ,understand our feelings, an put one at ease. Step by step instruction.
Cost ,if any, is minimal.

We all had to start somewhere and as brand new novices. Time,experience, and training go from being a tryo to a well rounded shooter. Just the way things work.

Taurus designed their guns for functuality and not looks. Most of the brands out there don't get good grades for looks. LOL

It's our job as gun owners to figure out how to use them wisely.

It's easy to mess up a functioning gun. Even some of us old timer have to learn to read instructions before anything else.
Sometimes the gun does have a fault, but that doesn'tsound like that's necessarily the case here.

We can help, but only to a point. That's because we're not there physically to see what's happening.

Same goes for being able to hit the target squarely well time after time.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6716.0

This has shooting info at a number of levels, but a mentor is even better to have along. They provide constructive feedback to an individual.

New guns are finicky,tight,need cleaning prior to shooting. Maybe even before getting aquainted with the gun. Taking it apart may help in understanding it and how it works. Having the mentor there just in case things won't come apart or go back together is also a good idea.

I've got a Ruger MK III pistol that comes apart easy. Going back together is another thing. That's because I need some instruction into this beast. Then I'll be okay with it.

Started out on revolvers do to simplicity,ease of operation, and easy to understand. That's as well as cost considerations at the time.

We'll try and be of service, but were limited to what we can do as stated above. If there are continuing problems, if at all, pictures help. Might not be able to do that. It happens.

·
32,737 Posts
The locks do work as advertised and work well in keeping unauthorized users from using the gun.
It's not the answer for leaving a gun unattended and not properly locked away.

Everyone for the most part has let there guard down with gun security with this somewhere along the line. Few can say they haven't. Best intentions, if an accident happens,will not mean anything after the fact.

Keys and locks take some getting used to.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well you're right qwiks it does work as advertised.. and ya i guess it is reasonable to keep a unauthorized user away.. course not sure how secure a lock is that thousands of other people have keys for.. and you can order them from taurus, the likely hood is low.. but i ca'nt help but think it should be called a safety rather then lock.

anyway give you a perfect example as how locking a loaded milpro could be useful.. you're carrying it (hey this was designed for a carry weapon right?) you realize you can't take it into a building with you.. so you lock it and stash it either int he glove box, undre the seat, or in the trunk.. well you can't do that without unloading it. which imo is a bit much for public consumption cause you're gonna have to load it again when you come back out.

so instead the gun lock goes unused and if by chance someone steels it while you're in the building they'll have no problem getting it functional.

my pt92 and tracker can both be locked loaded, no problem.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
Dmon, the weapon has to be UNLOADED and decocked before you can engage the key lock.

Joe, hopefully this will change with the new 24/7's that have the decocker built in.
a striker fired gun with a decocker!? wow thats pretty cool, i have to admit from time ot time taurus has some good ideas.. where did you hear this? press release? are they gonna apply it to the milpro series? wonder if i should wait for a 4th gen.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
thanks doc, wonder how long till these hit the dealers.. i'd assume the milpro's would get the update as well seeing as they're similar.. it might be a good thing i have'nt bought a milpro yet might be better to wait and see what develops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts