Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Jeff Cooper is still with us, in his books and videos.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
He is a legend & was a pioneer in defensive shooting, with a no nonsense presence about him that i admire.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Colonel Cooper was an intellectual philosophical shooter who helped bring training to the forefront of American Pistol Craft. Mas Ayoob follows in this tradition. Presently, there are other major figures involved in training. It is important not to confuse the guy down the street who teaches courses, as part time supplement for income (nothing wrong with that) with folks who are truly knowledgeable and skilled.

Before the Colonel there were men like Applegate, Fairbairn, Sykes who developed techniques used in police work and military training. And before them, although I don't know of their writing on the subject, men of Old West and Frontier who were skilled but perhaps not likely to be literate on the subject.
Men of the Texas Rangers, Tom Horn and some outlaws and others who had skills and practiced (not bushwhackers). To know how they practiced might be enlightening.

It would be great to get a written history on Pistol Craft. So much of what we think is new isn't. There are youtube videos on topics/men I mentioned that have a lot to offer. Although, in one military video based on Applegate's work on point shooting the film is somewhat at odds with the book he wrote by the same name. He stated that point shooting should only be done at close ranges not the distance the military training film suggests.

Brief overview of some of the above points and Cooper's role in promoting "Modern Pistol Craft" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Technique_of_the_Pistol and a review of Cooper's basic elements of the modern technique written by Sheriff Jim Wilson http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/22662/the-modern-technique-of-the-pistol/

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, did anyone notice the time of the video?
Do you mean for 45? Back when this video came out in 1986 I wanted one of those Gunsight 45's setup ala Cooper so bad I could taste it. Never got one, though. He didn't do much to them except tune the trigger, and Gunsight milled the top of the slide and installed S&W adjustable sights. I thought those S&W sights were just too cool for school on a 1911. They were setup kinda like this one...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
One of the difficulties at becoming a really good shootist is the lack of places to really practice. So many restrictions placed on people at indoor and many outdoor ranges people are reduced to target practice in non-combative roles. The fortunate one's among us grew up in places with plenty of open space to shoot and to shoot and practice in ways they wanted to.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the legendary COL Jeff Cooper. :happy:

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One thing I like about Ayoob is that he does not have Cooper's ego.

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
been a long time since i heard that name

jhp

·
Super Moderator
27,199 Posts
Sadly, to my mind....very few people have the ability to train where the target can fire back! Some military training does the lazer thing where you are beeped when you die/get hit.
Some places use paintball and wax rounds so that it hurts.....but there is only one place where it is realistic!
You will never know what you will do until the rounds start coming the other way!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts