Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like these small pocket DAO .380’s and have had a TCP for a while but it has that “slide stop issue” where it’ll hold open on the second shot or third. You then have to drop the lever to cycle the slide forward.
Did Taurus ever determine the TCP problem and thus a solution ? I’d like to consider a Spectrum but not if it has the same issues as the TCP. Any thoughts after all this time and trial and error?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I've had to file the little tab on both my TCP's and they now fire without fault. It was annoying to have such problems with a brand new gun, but I read a lot on the Internet and found the real solution. It is kind of unnerving to me to file on a gun, but it was a pretty easy process. I do not have a spectrum, so I know nothing of them, but I also haven't seen anything on the Internet that indicates they have that problem. All I see about them is light striking.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I owned a TCP and it was nothing but a nightmare. Put a few hundred rounds through it (as best I could) of various ammos and nothing worked. FTE, FTF, stovepipes, etc. Over the course of a few months I tried everything to get the little gun to cycle ANY ammo. Finally I gave up and bit the bullet (heh-heh) and traded it in on a Ruger LCPII. The Ruger has run like a top since the day I bought it. While the Spectrum interests me I would go near one until its price is down around $100-$125 and still I would have second thoughts. My PT111G2 runs great, no issues. The TCP was a pile of poopie. That was my experience. YMMV.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
My TCP (D series) has been flawless.
I have a "B" and a "D" and both had to have the little tab filed down. They would hang up every other round until I did that. Now, they are flawless. I don't know if they ever did anything about it in manufacturing, but it was a simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
14,014 Posts
My C model TCP is has been flawless since I bought it new some years ago. It resides in my pocket holster, in my pocket a lot of the time, and is my most carried firearm. Once a year I empty all three magazines at the range and replace the ammo. Not once has it had even one hiccup. It sounds as though TCP reliability is a hit-or-miss thing. If, like the Chef, you get a bad one, get rid of it and become friends with Mr. Ruger. If, like winnsman and me, you get one of the really good ones, hold onto it and never let it go.

As far as Spectrums, I don't have any experience, so I'll go get some more coffee and sit down now.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
“F” series here, I’ve experienced no issues.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I never comment on Taurus guns anymore, just cause I never have issues
with mine. Have a Spectrum and in my opinion it is a great gun, smooth running and accurate.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have owned 3 or 4 TCP's never problem.. I bought my nephew two .. He has one in his safe one in his pocket ... Never a problem...

But I have heard enough about the ache and pains of some TCP owners to know they exist ... Im lucky ...

One of my future purchases is going to be a Glock 42 ... or some other slightly larger 380 .. Id like to have one to shoot LHCFN out of ,.. So Im keeping my eyes peeled ..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I owned a TCP and it was nothing but a nightmare. Put a few hundred rounds through it (as best I could) of various ammos and nothing worked. FTE, FTF, stovepipes, etc. Over the course of a few months I tried everything to get the little gun to cycle ANY ammo. Finally I gave up and bit the bullet (heh-heh) and traded it in on a Ruger LCPII. The Ruger has run like a top since the day I bought it. While the Spectrum interests me I would go near one until its price is down around $100-$125 and still I would have second thoughts. My PT111G2 runs great, no issues. The TCP was a pile of poopie. That was my experience. YMMV.
Yeah, I had the same experience. Next to an I.O. "Hellcat", it was one of the worse pistols that I had ever owned.

·
23,216 Posts
I've had two TCPs. The only issue I've ever had with either was that you have to grip it enthusiastically. Loose grips = limp wrist malfunctions.

And the last letter of the serial number is just a way to get more serial numbers. I've never heard of any conclusive differences between the ones whose serial ends in C and those that end in D or so on. I think the first 3000 ever made were very slightly different in a few ways, but after that, they are all the same.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
I've had two TCPs. The only issue I've ever had with either was that you have to grip it enthusiastically. Loose grips = limp wrist malfunctions.

And the last letter of the serial number is just a way to get more serial numbers. I've never heard of any conclusive differences between the ones whose serial ends in C and those that end in D or so on. I think the first 3000 ever made were very slightly different in a few ways, but after that, they are all the same.

Believe that number was the first below 60000A, I own one and there is some differences including magazines.
the early A models mags will not interchange with later versions or Vice versus.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I've had a PT-738 TCP for two years now. At first it had problems feeding the last round of the 6-round magazine. On this forum I read that a new 738 requires a break-in period. After lots of dry-cycling at home, and 200-300 rounds fired at the range, it finally got to where it would feed that last round every time.

Then about six months ago, it started having Failure to Extract (FTE) issues. It got to the point that it couldn't feed even one full magazine without at least one FTE. I have three different magazines, and it failed with all three. I suspect there's something wrong with the extractor, so I sent it back to the Taurus factory for repairs.

In the mean time, I bought a Ruger LCP-II, which is very similar to the 738, but much more reliable. I haven't had any problems with the LCP-II, and I'm still waiting for the return of my 738.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts