Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife really enjoys shooting, handguns and rifles , but has never felt she wanted a house gun. She has always felt comfortable with a ball bat by her side of the head board. I told her the other night that we needed to have a serious talk about her having a handgun in her night stand. She has a Mossy 500 20ga, I told her it was getting a 20" barrel and would be on her end of the closet. My end of the closet has my R92 16" barrel .357 loaded with .38 special. I said you need to try some handguns and see what she likes. She has shot my 941UL, 605 and 689 6" barrel and her 94 and Heritage Birds head, all with no problem. She never liked my KelTec P11, PF9 or P3AT. Awhile back I bought a Bersa Thunder Plus, which I like. She picked it up for the 1st time and said " Oh my I like this" So soon as some decent weather comes along she will try it out. I shot it today for 1st time in several weeks and I think it will become hers, we seem to like the same things. I posted earlier that the wife said I can buy a new gun for my Christmas present to myself. This might make it easier to decide what I will get.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
My wife decided that weight wasn't an issue in a nightstand gun and capacity not even that important because her goal is, at most, to control a single hallway and stop anyone coming down it that doesn't belong, so her "nightstand gun is a S&W 686 4"

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I hope she finds one soon that she likes. Let us know what you get for your Christmas!:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Mine's a PT99 with the 20 round Mecgar magazine. I chose it due to mag capacity, reliability, and easy target acquisition and accuracy at the range. It's a relatively big gun, but an easy shooter. I wouldn't rule out a PT92 or even a 1911.
A good choice. Big and easy to shoot is not a handicap in a nightstand gun.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Ksmoose - sounds like your wife is a keeper!:D
I have a Bersa Thunder and really like it not only because I am accurate with it, but I can take it apart & clean it & put it back together by myself!

When 88keys talks sbout her PT99, pay heed to what she says! She is wicked accurate at the range - I've seen her!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sekol, Yep she is a keeper. She has put up with me for 37 years, and I was a little hard to live with when I was younger. When ever a new firearm shows up' Another!" is all she says. I must have done something right, she is 13 yrs my junior. Love her to death.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds good to me. My wife hates my Bersa Thunder, so its safe.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My wife is indifferent to guns. She does not shoot but does not mind my obsession. She is not anti gun, she's just not interested. My nightstand gun is a SR40 Ruger. I've shown her where the safety is and what she has to do to use it which I think she would in a worst case situation.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Until she injured her shoulder early this fall, my wife was interested in a .22 pistol. Now, I don't now. Time and an Orthopedic Surgeon will tell. Otherwise, an SR-40c with an Insight X2 light on the rail is on the night stand next to me.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
​I have a Bersa UC Thunder 9mm 13 rds for the wife's nightstand.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Having tried getting my wife to shoot assorted handguns over the years, she is stuck on just one. A Ruger MKII .22. She will not keep anything else in her nightstand. Most people would say a .22 is not enough. However, I would not like to be on the receiving end of the Ruger. She has killed one javelina in the yard with it that was fighting with the dogs. She is comfortable and confident with it. Got 2 extra mags loaded & ready. Took me several years to get her give up the old MKI she used for years and go to the MKII with the slide release. Don't think we will go to the MKIIs.

I keep an a 1911 handy along with a Ruger LCR. Showed her how to use them and where they are at. She still goes for the Ruger when the dogs start barking their "strander bark."

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My wife really enjoys shooting, handguns and rifles , but has never felt she wanted a house gun. She has always felt comfortable with a ball bat by her side of the head board. I told her the other night that we needed to have a serious talk about her having a handgun in her night stand. She has a Mossy 500 20ga, I told her it was getting a 20" barrel and would be on her end of the closet. My end of the closet has my R92 16" barrel .357 loaded with .38 special. I said you need to try some handguns and see what she likes. She has shot my 941UL, 605 and 689 6" barrel and her 94 and Heritage Birds head, all with no problem. She never liked my KelTec P11, PF9 or P3AT. Awhile back I bought a Bersa Thunder Plus, which I like. She picked it up for the 1st time and said " Oh my I like this" So soon as some decent weather comes along she will try it out. I shot it today for 1st time in several weeks and I think it will become hers, we seem to like the same things. I posted earlier that the wife said I can buy a new gun for my Christmas present to myself. This might make it easier to decide what I will get.

But have you seen this????

Headboard.gif

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My wife decided that weight wasn't an issue in a nightstand gun and capacity not even that important because her goal is, at most, to control a single hallway and stop anyone coming down it that doesn't belong, so her "nightstand gun is a S&W 686 4"
We're married to the same woman. How awkward is that? I will admit that it is loaded with .38 +P's. Her defensive strategy is to throw me out there with 2 Taurus 24/7s and clean up what is left.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
We're married to the same woman. How awkward is that? I will admit that it is loaded with .38 +P's. Her defensive strategy is to throw me out there with 2 Taurus 24/7s and clean up what is left.
Pretty much.

My job is to make sure they use all their ammo on me and that her 6 38.+ p will do the job. If she has to use her Winchester 1200 indoors I'll never hear the end of it

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Mine's a PT99 with the 20 round Mecgar magazine. I chose it due to mag capacity, reliability, and easy target acquisition and accuracy at the range. It's a relatively big gun, but an easy shooter. I wouldn't rule out a PT92 or even a 1911.
I was chatting with a guy at the range who had a PT99. It was incredibly accurate, at least in his hands. All of the sudden, I wanted one again...or a 92. I personally think it's too large for carry, but I can't think of a better home defense gun. Bud's had 19 round versions of the 92 for under $400 at one time, but I think they're gone now.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
Exactly why my bedside gun is the PT 99 as well.
MY wife shoots this weapon better than anything that she or I own, it is reliable, accurate and high capacity.
if not for her my night stand gun would be the new CZ SP-01 Tactical but she is more comfortable with the 99.

Reactions: 88keys
1 - 20 of 36 Posts