Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an episode of Shooting Gallery that recommended that you not leave your handgun on the night stand, in the drawer or under the pillow. They did recommend hiding it in plain site. Such as on the floor covered by a newspaper, or shirt. The whole reason being that if an intruder were to sneak in while you were still asleep, the gun would be easily found and used against you.

I was curious as to what you folks do with your primary defense handgun at night while going sleepy sleep?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I keep mine right next to me on top of the nightstand. With a dog I would be alerted should someone break in even if they were extremely quiet. I also place one in the bathroom at night just incase I happen to be in there or the shower when someone decides to intrude.

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
i've got a 38 in living room with 2 speed loaders and 2 speed strips and surefire G2. bedroom next to my gun safe in a shoe rack a XD-9 with extra 16 round mag and surefire G2 behind a shoe. It can't be seen but is 3 feet away from me or one step. Plus alarm sytem Motion sensor lights and 4 dogs. Inside gun safe huh... missing weapons of mass destruction.LOL :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya i wonder about that my self but i admit i do not hide it, it's laying right next to me on my desk which doubles as a night stand..

the flip side of it is they would have to go all the way around my bed or reach over me to the other side to get to it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Normally my carry guns are in a rapid access safe about 2 steps from the bed. If I'm not feeling trusting I put my M650 (in a pocket holster) under the other pillow (yes, unfortunately I sleep alone). There's 2 dogs in the house so I'm not concerned about being surprised.

Steelheart

·
Registered
61 Posts
I removed the "paddle" from a holster and screwed the holster to the bed rail. During the day, it is hidden by the pulled up bed covers. At night, the weapon is in easy reach and not easily seen because of the darkened room and backdrop of the bed itself.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot mention that I keep mine on the nightstand beside my bed. I'm not real thrilled with that because it is out in the open.
oldscot44 said:
I removed the "paddle" from a holster and screwed the holster to the bed rail. During the day, it is hidden by the pulled up bed covers. At night, the weapon is in easy reach and not easily seen because of the darkened room and backdrop of the bed itself.
That's an interesting solution.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I did the same thing with a Fobus paddle. Cheaper than buying the ones made for the bed frame and works just as well. Along with a handgun attached to my bed I also have a 12-gauge pump above the inside of my bedroom door while we are sleeping.

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
You can't be to carefull think about the time it takes to get from your door to your bedroom. I'm lucky that my alarm pad is by my bedroom door so if my kids set the alarm off I know how long it takes to get up and be armed and listen.

If the siren is going off then I no they did not come through the front door and I'm on alert and wait and see, hidden in the dark. We have a verbal code if everything is fine.

Its gone off before and will wake you and get your heart going thankfully everything was allright. it was late at night and my wife could not sleep so she was up cleaning the houseand forgot about the alarm and opened the back door to take out the garbage instant siren. It scared her as bad as it scared me.

·
Administrator
40,386 Posts
On the floor just under the bed on my side hidden by the dust ruffle. One in my bathroom in the magazine rack. :guns:

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
4 loaded handguns, with loaders or mags in a gun lock box by the bed. It is not locked at nite, and my glasses rest on top. So I can see and get a gun in seconds.
Loud Dog, Drive way alarm, and house alarm. Doubtful anyone is gonna get too darn close before my son and I know about it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I keep my 24/7 under my bed with 2 loaded mags. Me and my wife were talking about this subject last night. I like the idea of the homemade holster on the bed frame idea. I might fool around with that. Oh yeah I also have a pitbull mix and a beagle(go figure) I dont see anyone sneakin in my place with out setting off one of their alarms...

·
Registered
493 Posts
24/7 on my side of the bed and .38spl on the fiance's. We also have sensors on all windows and doors that set off a chime sound when opened. It's not brutally loud like an alarm just a little warning that someone is going in or out. Great for kids.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i keep mine hidden behind the nite stand out of plain sight but easy to get,and my dog has great hearing barks loud (beagle) that will wake anyone up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You guys that keep them in your bedside table or under the bed. Do you leave them there when you leave for the day for work or whatever or do you lock them up? I only own 1 gun and haven't received my CCL yet so most of the time mine is left at home in my bedside table. Its just me and my wife so I dont have to worry about kids getting ahold of it just yet.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
I lock my 2 house guns up in the safe when I leave for more then a few minutes just in case of a break in. Hate to have my gun used in a crime. Just more liberal news bullsh$$t.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I lock them in the safe when I leave, less the one I will be carrying for the day. I got a great Winchester Safe at Sam's Club for $600. Fire proof and impossible for even two people to carry out. Just incase you needed advice on a safe :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
45 Forever said:
I lock my 2 house guns up in the safe when I leave for more then a few minutes just in case of a break in. Hate to have my gun used in a crime. Just more liberal news bullsh$$t.
I agree, thats what worrys me. I dont want to come home and find my house has been broken into and my gun is gone just to be used later to kill a clerk in a 7-11 down the road. The only problem is my safe is easy to carry off. I guess I should just hide it somewhere when I leave every day.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jgos929 said:
You guys that keep them in your bedside table or under the bed. Do you leave them there when you leave for the day for work or whatever or do you lock them up? I only own 1 gun and haven't received my CCL yet so most of the time mine is left at home in my bedside table. Its just me and my wife so I dont have to worry about kids getting ahold of it just yet.

Thanks
I only have one handgun and I carry it daily so it does not stay at home without me being there. The Mossberg 590 12 gauge under the bed is a different story. It stays there all the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts