Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my first and only Taurus in May on the Monday after I returned from NRAAM Dallas.

I was interested in a full-size range/beater gun that fired 9mm. My full size Rock Island Armory 1911 filled that role in .45 auto, but .45 auto can get expensive fast.

I went to the Taurus booth at NRAAM to check out the G2C that had me a little curious as a possible new carry option. (I did not like the G2C trigger.) While I was there, I noticed the PT92 AF. My wife has a Beretta 92A1 that's a great gun, but I'm not excited about the Beretta's slide-mounted safety/decocker.

On the PT92, I liked what I saw: nice trigger, good fit and finish, and a frame-mounted safety/decocker.

I ordered one online (Davidson's at $406.99). At the same time, I ordered some Wolff recoil springs (spares) and four 18-round Mec-Gars from Greg Cote LLC. Davidson's shipped it fast. At the LGS, I paid for the gun (PT92 AF-D), then took it home to clean and lube for my first range trip.

I found a blemish at the hole in the trigger guard for the spring pin/split pin that holds the mag release. It looks like someone used a rock to install the pin, then went over it with a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen. I shrugged this off.

At the range, I learned about the trigger problems. Very gritty and heavy. My trigger pull gauge only measures up to eight pounds, and that wasn't enough for the single-action trigger. I shot about 200 rounds through it that day. It was reliable and accurate, and the two OEM 17-round mags did their job fine. The Mec-Gars were perfect as expected.

A few days later, I was about to head out the door to do another range trip with the PT92, but first I called Taurus. Customer service wait was very short. The rep quickly agreed that an eight-pound SA trigger was no bueno, and emailed me a prepaid return label. I hung up and left for the range with my PT92.

When I finished shooting (about 250 rounds through the PT92), I spoke with the gunsmith at the range about my PT92. He measured the DA trigger at just over 12 pounds, and the SA trigger at just over 8 pounds. He agreed it was gritty. I left the gun with him for a trigger job and installation of a Beretta D spring.

The gunsmith charged me $45, and now the PT92 SA trigger is just under 5.5 pounds, and DA is about 11 pounds. And smooth now too. Nice!

The gun is accurate, reliable, and now has a terrific trigger. Very happy with it.

But lessons were learned: don't buy a PT92 online. Buy it in-person to first check out the fit/finish, and pull the trigger a few times.

Yesterday I ordered from Beretta the third generation locking block kit. I'll keep that as a spare for the PT92 should the OEM locking block ever fail.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
The PT92/99 addiction is not quite as virile as the 1911 addiction, but it's close. Happy shooting. You have a fine pistol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mike. I think you'll be very pleased with your new pistol.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hope you enjoy your 92 as much as I have mine.. Mine started out pretty good out of the box.. After a few thousand rounds it is my FAVORITE pistol. The trigger is butter smooth, PIA/POI are dead on, recoil is unnoticeable. It is a pleasure to shoot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi. Sorry about your problems. Glad you got them solved. I bought mine on line from Classic Firearms. And I wouldn't change a thing on mine. Best trigger I have ever squeezed.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome! The 92 doesn't get much air time anymore as it's been around for a long time but it's still Taurus' best semi auto.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
When I bought my PT 92, it shot great out of the box after a cleaning the trigger pull wasn't bad but had a little bit of a drag or gritty after about a 1000 rounds it was still there so I took it down and polished every thing trigger related plus other moving parts after that all was well smooth trigger. It was always accurate but the polishing helped improve the gun all around performance it was well worth the effort I love to shoot it

Reactions: mwj999

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What brought me here to this forum was when I bought a used PT92C. Found it on Gun Broker and was the only bidder at $250.00. Today this gun goes with me every trip to the range and today I took our daughter pistol shooting for the first time. Out of 5 guns the one she liked best. The PT92C!!!!

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
Congratulations on your new Taurus PT92 and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

Bought my Taurus PT92, brand new, back in July of 1992. Since then it has served me very very well, and continues to do so.

Have not had any quality issues with Firearms that I have ordered, online, or through an FFL.

The only problem I did have, was with a particular distributor, shipping my FFL Dealer, the wrong gun, not once, but twice.
Took me two months to finally get what I ordered. However, this has been the exception to the rule.

Reactions: mwj999 and leejack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday I made a trip to the indoor range with a Glock 19 Gen 4 and the PT92. It was the third range trip for the PT92.

I shot the PT92 slow-fire, and used the G19 to shoot controlled pairs. Seven-yard paper silhouettes were used for both while shooting MagTech 115 grain FMJ.

Again, the PT92 demonstrated excellent reliability even with the OEM magazines. At seven yards, it’s not difficult to shoot a fist-sized hole. I might even say that it’s easy.

Trading off between guns allowed a comparison of the triggers. Based on the comparison, the PT92 SA trigger gets a grade of an A, and the G19 gets a B. Probably not a fair comparison since a smith polished the contact surfaces of the PT92 trigger, and the Glock’s is straight from the box. Regardless, the PT92 has a perfect/nearly perfect SA trigger now. Definitely a better trigger than the G19. Lighter, smoother, and with more even resistance. (Again, it’s probably not fair to compare the stacking of a SA trigger to that of a striker gun, but the difference is very noticeable.)

For someone choosing a gun for home defense and range shooting, the PT92 with the MecGar18-round mags should make everyone’s short list. When factoring in price, it should get moved up the list. In terms of value for a pistol with an 18+1 capacity, the only real competition (that I can think of right now) is the Canik TP9SF.

Between Taurus and the Canik, the decision would probably come down to personal preference for a polymer frame versus aluminum, and striker versus hammer. And the Canik street price might be about $25 less.

I agree that the PT92 should be more popular than it is. Or maybe it is more popular than I’m aware of, but it just doesn’t get talked-up much. That could be true because just mentioning a Taurus gun online brings out the haters—especially those with no first-hand experience with one. Based on my experience, I have to concede that Taurus QC could improve...but no manufacturer is perfect, and Taurus seemed eager to fix my gun to make it right.

I’ll be recommending the PT92 every chance I get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, now I’m seriously considering getting my PT92 cerakoted.

I’d do a single color. The Glock gray sounds cool to me.

The cerakote business has a gunsmith do all necessary assembly and disassembly for about $75 per hour.

The only thing that’s holding me back is the gunsmith work. The gun is running so well that I don’t really want it taken apart. I’m nervous/anxious (probably needlessly) about how it would run when I get it back.

Decisions...

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
Ok, now I’m seriously considering getting my PT92 cerakoted.

I’d do a single color. The Glock gray sounds cool to me.

The cerakote business has a gunsmith do all necessary assembly and disassembly for about $75 per hour.

The only thing that’s holding me back is the gunsmith work. The gun is running so well that I don’t really want it taken apart. I’m nervous/anxious (probably needlessly) about how it would run when I get it back.

Decisions...
As it is essentially the same as the Beretta, he should be able to quote a flat rate for detail stripping and reassembly, if he's got much experience at all. If he doesn't have that much experience. I might worry more. The other issue is the way Taurus might view the modification should you have to send it back for work. My theory is if it ain't broke ...don't fix it. Save the coating for years down the line when it needs a new finish.

·
Registered
37,060 Posts
I had my PT99 Z-coated some 30 years ago, its the best coating that I have been around actually-- unfortunately the EPA put the company out of business, it is not a single color--LOL.
then I had two 1911 Cera coated (one was just the slide) and it as well has proven to be very durable although only about 3 years old or so and the guns do not get carried daily.
MY Cera coat guy stripped the gun down, hot cleaned the parts, sprayed the cera coat, then oven dried it, reassembled and got t back to me for a flat fee.
that's how most do here i understand. anyway I would echo the same thought as Czech about the Taurus warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My PT92 is now up to about 3000 for its round-count. Cleaned after every range trip. Occasional stove-pipes (1-2 in 300 rounds). Great accuracy. I got a PX4 Fobus for it for night stand duty.

They seem to be be a little scarce these days at local shops.

·
Super Moderator
37,996 Posts
My PT92 is now up to about 3000 for its round-count. Cleaned after every range trip. Occasional stove-pipes (1-2 in 300 rounds). Great accuracy. I got a PX4 Fobus for it for night stand duty.

They seem to be be a little scarce these days at local shops.
I don't get the extraction issue. Has it always done that? It would be early for a recoil spring to be worn out if this is a recent phenomenon, but not unheard of. Too light of a grip should not be an issue with the heavier pistol like the 92.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't get the extraction issue. Has it always done that? It would be early for a recoil spring to be worn out if this is a recent phenomenon, but not unheard of. Too light of a grip should not be an issue with the heavier pistol like the 92.
I’m inclined to attribute the stovepipes to the ammo. It’s the Walmart Federal 9mm FMJ. I get occasional stovepipes with it in my Glock 19s as well.

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
I’m inclined to attribute the stovepipes to the ammo. It’s the Walmart Federal 9mm FMJ. I get occasional stovepipes with it in my Glock 19s as well.
How very odd! :dunno:

ALL of my modern 9mm Pistols, including my PT92, will feed, fire, and eject Walmart Federal Brass and Aluminum cased 9mm FMJ without issue.
I use the Aluminum Cased Federal Champion when I'm shooting some place I can't get my Brass back or when I've not had time to reload.

Mostly what I feed my PT92 is my own reloaded full power 9mm Match Reloads, loaded with a 124 grain Flat Pointed Bullet.
My general experience has been that PT92's tend to feed anything 9mm very well. Even Semi-Wadcutter Bulleted reloads.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,060 Posts
I just don't run into much if any problem with any of my weapons and shoot a variety of mostly reloads but different types of factory ammo as well.
that includes aluminum, steel and of course brass cased, FMJ, lead, plated and jhp.
now for me the number 1 criteria for a handgun to me is function, so if it don't work it gets fixed, if it can't be fixed then it gets gone. I have my favorites but honestly what ever I pick up or pull out I think will work 99999 times out of 100,000.
its not unusual for me to be at the range shooting and someone having gun problems and I ask IF I can try the weapon/ammo and find that in my weapons it works fine and many times when firing their gun it functions fine.
these people are normally newbies to some extent, are babying the weapon or it is dry or uncleaned along with bad form and trying to use a micro sized weapon.
many times a simple weapons class is well worth the money for someone not familiar with firearms, saves a lot of money in ammo, range time and frustration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts