Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but you can't just buy the exact same thing that you already have, either.

Saw this little guy at the LGS in exactly the configuration I wanted - synthetic stock (since I was going to replace it anyway), threaded barrel and blued finish. Added the Magpul Backpacker stock in Stealth Grey, a pic rail with a Bushnell TRS-25 and stuck one of my A2 flash hider takeoffs to dress up the business end a bit. Taking it out to zero it this weekend - if it's anything like my other 10/22, it'll be good times. :)

Obligatory pics:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only gripe about my 10/22's... if Marlin could figure out how to have their Marlin semi auto hold open after the last shot DECADES ago, why the hell can't Ruger?
The whole bolt catch assembly is silly for lacking that and is also way too fiddly, for sure. That said, I can live with it. :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
10/22s are miles of smiles!!!

Nice setup!

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Very nice. I've considered a take down, but I really have little need to take it down. :D I don't do back packing anymore and when I did I never really saw the need for a long gun, but I had a Charter Arms AR7 for a lot of years until my ex-SIL begged me to sell it to him. The Ruger take down is a WAY better gun than that AR7 was, though it was a decent shooter and ate most anything flawlessly.

I found my 10/22 at a gun show. It was used, but looked new. It's a stainless version and I put a Hogue stock on it. I love that thing, great shooter. Folks tell me 10/22s aren't accurate, that a Marlin M60 will shoot rings around it, but mine will put five rounds of CCI standard velocity into the same hole at 25 yards. I've not had a .22 that shot any better. My old Remington 512X bolt gun is a little more accurate, but not enough that a squirrel at 50 yards would know the difference. :D

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
You know I've never had any desire for a 10/22. Just saying.

All I can say is, your loss. The 10/22 is a best seller for a reason, one of the most well made and reliable .22s on the market. I love the rotary magazine and if you're into firepower, there are 25 rounders out there. I have one, made by Ruger, that I bought for my wife's uncle. He sold his 10/22 and gave me the mag, but I never use it. It gets in the way of my arm when I'm plinking. I have several of the 10 round rotary mags. These beat the HECK out of a tube magazine! I prefer 'em to any straight feed box magazine, too.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I have a 10/22 stainless mounted in a custom stock and one of their "felony facilitators"... (That's what I call the Ruger Charger, since the temptation to mount its action in a rifle stock is darn near irresistible...)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 10/22 stainless mounted in a custom stock and one of their "felony facilitators"... (That's what I call the Ruger Charger, since the temptation to mount its action in a rifle stock is darn near irresistible...)
If there was some sort of bullpup Charger furniture, I'd be all over it.

Reactions: coopercdrkey

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice. I've considered a take down, but I really have little need to take it down. :D I don't do back packing anymore and when I did I never really saw the need for a long gun, but I had a Charter Arms AR7 for a lot of years until my ex-SIL begged me to sell it to him. The Ruger take down is a WAY better gun than that AR7 was, though it was a decent shooter and ate most anything flawlessly.

I found my 10/22 at a gun show. It was used, but looked new. It's a stainless version and I put a Hogue stock on it. I love that thing, great shooter. Folks tell me 10/22s aren't accurate, that a Marlin M60 will shoot rings around it, but mine will put five rounds of CCI standard velocity into the same hole at 25 yards. I've not had a .22 that shot any better. My old Remington 512X bolt gun is a little more accurate, but not enough that a squirrel at 50 yards would know the difference. :D
X2, my guess is that rumor started when the model 60 still had a 22" barrel to the 10/22 18.5" barrel. The longer sight radius allowed the shooter to be more accurate. When you put a scope on them, they seem to be on par stock for stock, until you find an ammo one prefers. The extra weight of the Marlin doesn't hurt stability either.

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
My only gripe about my 10/22's... if Marlin could figure out how to have their Marlin semi auto hold open after the last shot DECADES ago, why the hell can't Ruger?
It doesn't solve the whole bolt left open after the last shot thing, but Volquartsen's automatic bolt release, at least takes some of the inconvenience out or messing with that fidgety thing in front of the trigger guard. My nephew put one in his 10/22, and I might do the same.

https://volquartsen.com/products/158-automatic-bolt-release

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
If you want some fun, go to the Rimfirecentral Forum / "Ultimate 10/22" discussions-

Ultimate 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

It's a hoot!

As for "rational" 10/22 modifications, the Volquartsen Bolt Release, a BX trigger group and any of the magazine release extensions and you're pretty well set.

Oh, and a nice custom stock doesn't hurt...

IMG_1491.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
I like the stock magazine release, seems quite ergonomic to me. Of course, I prefer the stock 10 round magazines, too. I put a Volquartsen hammer/sear in mine which really cleaned up the trigger pull. Had to use the stock trigger return spring as the trigger wouldn't return with the one Volquartsen supplied. The trigger is still nice, though.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
never understood the elevated pricing on the 10/22's. I mean we're talking a 22 rifle typically if not exclusively used for plinking. I do get the reasoning if you're shooting competitively or if used for hunting, then yea, spend the money and get an accurate rifle and a real good piece of glass for it. I'm happy with a regular Marlin 60 or my father in laws Winchester 190 as they're both minute of squirrel at 100 yards. I've had Marlin 60's, a glenfield 60, a Savage 64 and even an AR7. I currently have my father in laws Win 190 that was completely stripped and cleaned and rebuilt and it fires flawlessly anything I opt to feed it, including thunderbolts.

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Thunderbolts typically feed clean do to the longish rounded profile of the bullet. It's what my Chiappa M1 .22 likes. I cleaned a Win. 190 for Holly's uncle. You can keep that one. Good enough shooter, but a major pain to re-install the bolt/recoil spring. The 10/22 is simple.

I floundered around with my old .22s for a long time, then just broke down and bought a 10/22. I like it a lot, worth what it cost and then some.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
never understood the elevated pricing on the 10/22's. I mean we're talking a 22 rifle typically if not exclusively used for plinking. I do get the reasoning if you're shooting competitively or if used for hunting, then yea, spend the money and get an accurate rifle and a real good piece of glass for it. I'm happy with a regular Marlin 60 or my father in laws Winchester 190 as they're both minute of squirrel at 100 yards. I've had Marlin 60's, a glenfield 60, a Savage 64 and even an AR7. I currently have my father in laws Win 190 that was completely stripped and cleaned and rebuilt and it fires flawlessly anything I opt to feed it, including thunderbolts.
I've never felt that 10/22s were overpriced - at least if you're just looking for a plinker. A bog-standard blued one can be had for under a couple of bills pretty easily if you're willing to wait a month or so for a sale. They do seem to add a pretty healthy markup for stuff like SS/threaded/bull barrels, different furniture and the like though. I picked up this takedown for $300 at the LGS and didn't feel bad about it at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Let me enlighten you. After owning all of those, the Savage 64f is the cheapest at $125 new and worth every penny. The 64 was reliable and accurate but its the little things that could be improved like the charging handle and magazine insertion. The Marlin 60 for $150 is more ergonomic in the bolt release (newer design) and the charging handle. I am not a fan of tube magazines for plinking guns, the Marlin tends to hold a round after the magazine charging tube has been removed. A plinkster should be easily and quickly cleared. The 10/22 is both and ergonomic. The Ruger makes 1, 5, 10, 15, 25 round magazines, the first 3 are flush fit like a tube fed. You can use a proper Weaver base with the threaded Ruger receiver. The advantage of the 10/22 factory bolt hold open is stability for clearing of a jam or running a bore snake or inserting a chamber flag. The old 10/22 design was easier to operate the bolt release. The Winchester 190 functioned like the Marlin 60 in ways I didn't like. It may have had a little more drop at the comb. The AR-7 I had was not water tight but it would float for a bit so you could recover it quickly. It functioned well but not perfectly. There are quicker and sturdier take downs now for similar prices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts