Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really looked at anything Taurus until 4 days ago. I recently acquired a .38 special S&W pre-model 10 that dates back to 1949. I am not a real big revolver fan and not a really big .38 fan, especially since I already have a ruger blackhawk .357 that can shoot .38's. So I set out today to find something semi-auto in 9mm. I chose 9mm because it was the cheapest to shoot. I had the .38 appraised at 250-300 dollars, not in bad shape, it was just produced in record amounts and not very sought after today.

I started my day off at a pawn shop and saw a Ruger LC9 for 389.99 that seemed to fit the bill. I told the guy about the .38 I had and he offered me 300 for it. I told him I would be back, because I wanted to look around town.

I then went to the gun shop I used to work at. They had a 709 slim for 389.99 that I liked even better than the Ruger and right beside it a Kahr CM9 for 429.99. After a bit of haggling he told me he would give me 265 dollars for trading in my .38... I turned him down and went to another gun shop that only had rifles in stock....

So I started driving back home and out of the corner of my eye I saw a little pawn shop I never heard of. So I stopped in there, and low and behold, a black 9mm OSS DS for 325. So I brought up that I wanted to trade my .38 for it and he told me that he would like to see it, but no promises. So I went out the the car and brought it back in. He told me right on the spot that he would straight across trade because he wanted the .38 for himself. I filled out some paperwork, showed him my CWP and now I am the new owner of a brand new 9mm OSS.

I got the OSS home and broke it apart and to my surprise it still has the cosmoline in it. Further inspection looks like it has never before been fired! There was a little wear on the saftey on both sides, but I wasn't too worried about it.

Next weekend I will post a full range report. Lets see if my dad can still outshoot me with his para, haha.

This is the .38 I traded in. Not very practical for my uses, plus I really didn't need another revolver.

Here is the 9mm OSS. My first 9mm pistol. I have pretty much owned .45's,44's and 357's my whole life.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Great trade and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Welcome to TA, you will find this site to be a great source of information And entertainment. Congrats on your "horse trading"' I LOVE a good PAWN SHOP STORY!!!!!! I especially like little pawn shop...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to TA, you will find this site to be a great source of information And entertainment. Congrats on your "horse trading"' I LOVE a good PAWN SHOP STORY!!!!!! I especially like little pawn shop...
Yeah it was a little shop called "Ed's pawn and bond's". It had three pistols, 5 rifles, and about a shopping cart full of tools for sale. The guy "Ed"(go figure) seemed really nice.

The OSS isn't my first Taurus. I own a tracker .22 that I love to plink around with.

What ammo does everyone recommend? I bought a box of federal champion 155gr for 12.99 at Walmart. I am sure they will cycle well after I clean the grease out of the OSS.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on a super trade!

I got my very first Taurus semi-automatic the same way. I traded a Smith & Wesson model 10 .38 Special with a long barrel like yours for a NIB Taurus PT138 .380 pistol.

The guy at the gun show was happy with the trade, and I went home a happy fellow too!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome to TA and congrats on the new OSS. I just got mine recently and love it. Keep us posted how the range trip goes!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Welcome from Arizona! That's a sweet trade you made, I have the OSS in both .45ACP and .40 S&W - they both can shoot 3/4" groups at 45' off sandbags. My buddy has the 9mm - almost no muzzle flip!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Welcome to TA. Nice trade.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!

The OSS is a great weapon! Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the cosmoline? I bought a pistol cleaning kit from wally world last night but I think I might need to disassemble the pistol more than taurus tells me to to get all that junk out. I also picked up some polishing powder to take a little wave out of the feeding ramp. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the cosmoline? I bought a pistol cleaning kit from wally world last night but I think I might need to disassemble the pistol more than taurus tells me to to get all that junk out. I also picked up some polishing powder to take a little wave out of the feeding ramp. Any help would be appreciated!
I use Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube. Cleans stuff right out and leaves a dry lubricant.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You should like your OSS. They are a large pistol that is light in weight and easy to handle.
Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard of dry lube before but never have used or even seen it around here. I am going to look harder next time for it, I am sure someone has it.

@fluidpower ~I really like the way the pistol sat in my hands. Everytime I bring it up my sights are lined up. Which will hopefully do me good shooting it. I don't buy a pistol, or any gun for that matter, that doesn't line up with my sight picture. I will probably buy a holster and CC with this pistol.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
I can't find it locally either. I just order a can or three with every Midway order.

One Shot Gun Cleaner-Degreaser Dry Lubricant 5-1/2oz. Aerosol
Well I use /reccomend Gunscrubber "synthetic safe" pressurized cleaner for the initial cleanup of the Taurus pistols.
as for a dry lube, the one again that i use is Rem Dri-lube, its generally found sititng right next to Rem-OIL , same color /type/size can and can easily be missed.
its teflon product under pressure, dries almost instantly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well I use /reccomend Gunscrubber "synthetic safe" pressurized cleaner for the initial cleanup of the Taurus pistols.
as for a dry lube, the one again that i use is Rem Dri-lube, its generally found sititng right next to Rem-OIL , same color /type/size can and can easily be missed.
its teflon product under pressure, dries almost instantly.
I also use both of those but since I'm lazy, the One Shot gives me two for one.

I thought I was going to need to take the slide on my OSS to the high pressure car wash.:D

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
I also use both of those but since I'm lazy, the One Shot gives me two for one.

I thought I was going to need to take the slide on my OSS to the high pressure car wash.:D
Yep, more than likely Jakes Nephew Clarence and his cousin Terrance was working the assembly line at Taurus the day that one came down the line!
That terrance loves the grease gun for sure!
IF your front sight was off to one side then Clarence "the cross eyed brazilian" was working the sight set up position.
They were both on duty the day my Pt1911 Duo-tone was made as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts