·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Rule Number 1

Have a gun.

Rule Number 2

Have ENOUGH gun.

Rule Number 3

If you have enough gun, then don't play around and load it like it's enough gun.

Anti-human 'self defense' loads ain't enough for dealing with creatures known to argue the point as to whether or not man is on top of the food chain.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
This incident proves why 10mm was the original FBI choice for new handgun caliber. If you can take out a four legged miscreant like this bear (is it a grizzly?), the two legged kind should get the same result. The 40 Short & Weak was not enough of a difference to avoid the Bureau standardizing on 9mm. IIRC, the ballistics on the proposed FBI loading for 10mm were superior to that of the 230 grain FMJ 45ACP round. This incident makes me believe so, anyway.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
The guy's primary mistake was hesitation. he knew damned well what the body language of the bear was and what is was about to do and he hesitated. He was getting worried by the bear and out of fear of shooting himself, he hesitated again. I don't care if he's a guide or not, he's incompetent. His LIFE was on the line and he couldn't pull.. the.. trigger. Is that the type of guide you'd want with you on a hunt?

Reactions: ozzy and 230JHP

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hollow point for bear duty? I don't think so. Bruins need penetration.

Reactions: 230JHP and jtg452

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
His first BIG mistake was being worried about hitting one of the dogs. Sorry pet lovers, but if I have to kill every dog in the general area, that bear is NOT going to get me.

I did find this line to be rather funny though: "...Bridger decided to retreat. He turned and hopped to the next boulder, then the next. He was mid air to the third when he saw dogs moving past him. In his fast mind-state, he realized this was bad..."

Again, we're approaching "quote of the year" on that one.

As a side note, I personally refuse to capitalize the name Glock. You never see an article written about a COLT 45, or a SMITH & WESSON revolver.

·
22,962 Posts
Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
6,715 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Rule Number 1

Have a gun.

Rule Number 2

Have ENOUGH gun.

Rule Number 3

If you have enough gun, then don't play around and load it like it's enough gun.

Anti-human 'self defense' loads ain't enough for dealing with creatures known to argue the point as to whether or not man is on top of the food chain.
Rule 3 is a very good rule indeed! There are several creatures that can argue that point for sure! Glad he survived!

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
His first BIG mistake was being worried about hitting one of the dogs. Sorry pet lovers, but if I have to kill every dog in the general area, that bear is NOT going to get me.

I did find this line to be rather funny though: "...Bridger decided to retreat. He turned and hopped to the next boulder, then the next. He was mid air to the third when he saw dogs moving past him. In his fast mind-state, he realized this was bad..."

Again, we're approaching "quote of the year" on that one. (emphasized when quoted)

As a side note, I personally refuse to capitalize the name Glock. You never see an article written about a COLT 45, or a SMITH & WESSON revolver.
I got a chuckle out of that line, too.

How does that saying go -- You don't have to be faster than the bear; you just have to be faster than someone else.:eek:

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well first of all great article, thanks for posting. Second of all I am in agreement that this guy made a multitude of mistakes. The ones he made mid-fight I guess I'll let go as none of us know how we'd react. However, he's in an area where bears are a real threat for crying out loud. Not enough gun and not enough ammo. There are black bears that move through my property. I would say my chances of being attacked are less than one percent. I still carry a Ruger .45 Colt loaded with ++P's from Buffalo Bore that have been used to take down a cape buffalo. This guy either got way over confident or he was just plain stupid and unprepared.

Reactions: MoKen

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
This incident proves why 10mm was the original FBI choice for new handgun caliber. If you can take out a four legged miscreant like this bear (is it a grizzly?), the two legged kind should get the same result. The 40 Short & Weak was not enough of a difference to avoid the Bureau standardizing on 9mm. IIRC, the ballistics on the proposed FBI loading for 10mm were superior to that of the 230 grain FMJ 45ACP round. This incident makes me believe so, anyway.
I disagree on that one, fbi were limp wristing "most obviously" , put it into the hands of someone that can handle it and it's a destructive caliber "hydrostatic shock" google it. I carry 16 rounds and I'd say that yogi and boo boo would both be on the smoker. But hey JMHO.

·
Super Moderator
27,071 Posts
Reactions: MoKen

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I think it has been said the first mistake was not giving the bear it's space. It sounds like they might have came upon the bear at the edge of a body of water. If so then the bear is going to be defensive because it feels trapped or just maybe doesn't want company near it feeding ground or territory. I've came upon black bears while trout fishing and they will stand their ground while I give it to them. I've had black bears come upon me while I'm in or near the water and they just watch or leave. Sort of who gets there first but I still keep my eyes on them and I carry enough gun to end a confrontation if need be but never had to use it.

I don't understand his reasoning in for staying around to take pictures if the bear show any sign of aggression. That is just asking for trouble and if he is a guide he should know this.

His choice of gun is not the problem but he maybe ought to do a little studying on a better choice of ammo and effects of leaving a mag loaded for long periods of time.

Not to beat a dead horse but his judgement in when to back off, and when take action just don't show me much of his guiding abilities. I'm glad he made it out without any more serious injury.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
230 ball don't qualify as "enough gun" in my book when dealing with bears and such.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts