Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I really wish somebody could explain how these guns keep going off without pulling the trigger.

his Ruger .357-caliber Western-style revolver fell out of its holster and fired a round

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
So he had the hammer cocked on a DA revolver?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I did some searching and they do have a transfer bar.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I did some searching and they do have a transfer bar.
How do you know? It does not mention make or age of said firearm. True modern firearms have the transfer bar. And all it says is it was a Ruger .357-caliber Western-style revolver. Not enough info I would say.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Did some more searching.
It may have been a Blackhawk which is SA.
But to have it cocked on a chambered round?
I'm somewhat confused about revolvers.
Dropping it on a cocked hammer will fire it? Does not seem safe to me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Did some more searching.
It may have been a Blackhawk which is SA.
But to have it cocked on a chambered round?
I'm somewhat confused about revolvers.
Dropping it on a cocked hammer will fire it? Does not seem safe to me.
Again there is no way of telling it does not give enough info on the revolver . Older revolvers did not have a transfer bar and that includes SA/DA . Meaning if the hammer was sitting on a loaded chamber it could go off if dropped which is why they designed the transfer bar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
New Model Blackhawks - since the early 70's DO have a transfer bar system - should not fire if dropped even with the hammer over a loaded chamber.

Old Model Blackhawks - prior to the development of the NM BH, they did NOT have a transfer bar and could discharge if the hammer was struck while down on a loaded chamber.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I really wish somebody could explain how these guns keep going off without pulling the trigger.

his Ruger .357-caliber Western-style revolver fell out of its holster and fired a round
I'm with you. Handguns just don't fire by themselves.

And if this was a single action cowboy revolver...why in the heck didn't that cowboy have the hammer sittin' on an empty chamber? Sheesh!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I thought you were supposed to carry a western style revolver hammer down on an empty cylinder?

He got off easy, so many things could have gone wrong.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I thought you were supposed to carry a western style revolver hammer down on an empty cylinder?

He got off easy, so many things could have gone wrong.
I am guessing he lied to police. I think he was playing with it and if he was not when he dropped it his finger hit the trigger . But again I am just guessing. If it had a transfer bar he could carry a Western Style hammer on a loaded chamber.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Sounds like another case of the s_*~ hitting the fan.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
Pre "1973" Ruger single actions "might" go off if dropped on the hammer over a loaded chamber.

Ruger offered FREE "Retro-fitting" of all Pre 73 single actions, some folks may have not done so.

Personally, I think he was likely playing "Cowboys & Turds" cuz he got bored waiting for #2.

I bet that loud boom helped more than EX-LAX...:D

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't remember where i read the article, or how much research was involved, but people in a panic trying to grab a dropped pistol often grab it by the trigger causing a ND

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Sheds new light on the standard range command, "Holster an empty weapon and make the line safe."

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't remember where i read the article, or how much research was involved, but people in a panic trying to grab a dropped pistol often grab it by the trigger causing a ND
I was thinking along these lines since the only place you can hook a finger on a falling gun is inside the trigger guard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts