Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished doing the FFL paperwork to sell one of my own target revolvers back to myself. No this is NOT a joke.

I often sell my guns on consignment. If I'm patient, I can usually get closer to my price than going to the gun show or using the piece as a trade-in. I get my cash, and life is good.

This time, I had a 357 mag target revolver on consignment, and after 6 weeks, nothing was happening. Gun show's coming up here, so I thought I'd retrieve it and take it there in hopes of selling it.

But - - - - - my LGD (who's a good guy) told me I'd have to fill out a BATF Form 4473. Technically, even though I'm the owner, it was now in his inventory and he could have license troubles unless he "sold" it back to me. No money involved, just the form, and I don't want the guy to lose his FFL, so I filled the danged thing out.

This is one of the DUMBEST govt rules I've ever heard of. It's my gun, I have the original bill of sale, a consignment receipt - - - - - and I have to buy it from myself.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That is pretty dumb. You got to love the good people who think they're protecting us from ourselves.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You should have sold it to yourself at twice the price and made a tidy profit!:p

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
I have placed two pistols on consignment with my LGS that I retrieved before they sold.
I had to fill out those forms both times just like you did.
When the gun is on consignment in his store it is in his possession and considered his.
When he releases it, whether from a sale or the owner takes it back those forms have to be filled out to turn possession back over to you.

When you put the gun on consignment you filled out the papers to turn the gun over to him so he could legally sell it at his store.
He has the paperwork you filled out so he can sell it without you being present at the time of the sale.
When you took the gun back you had to fill them out again to release him from the agreement.

You did not "buy" your gun back from the LGS. Possession was transferred back to you.
It is merely a requirement they have to meet when dealing with guns they do not own and are trying to sell.
If they don't comply and get caught at it, some really big guy with hairy knuckles and a badge will have a talk with him.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never thought of that. I may just put it up again, just to re-buy it.
Before you do, buy some ammo at Wally's and offer it in the deal at a 25% markup. I bet you'll still go for it, because it still beats what most the LGS's are charging for ammo now. it's worth a shot anyway.

Reactions: darbo

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
But - - - - - my LGD (who's a good guy) told me I'd have to fill out a BATF Form 4473. Technically, even though I'm the owner, it was now in his inventory and he could have license troubles unless he "sold" it back to me. No money involved, just the form, and I don't want the guy to lose his FFL, so I filled the danged thing out.

This is one of the DUMBEST govt rules I've ever heard of. It's my gun, I have the original bill of sale, a consignment receipt - - - - - and I have to buy it from myself.
I've seen the same thing myself over consignment firearms. The first time left me in disbelief, but the gun had to be transferred to the store so they could transfer it to someone else if sold. Since it didn't sell, it had to transferred from the store back to the original owner.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One you give a FFL dealer a firearm for consinement it becomes part of the store stock. It is the law (always has been) and I am sure trhe FFL dealer doesn't want to go to jail.
X2, it is a dumb law but if the store got robbed and he didn't have all the guns listed he would be in hot water. Also in a way it closes a loop hole for people who are not supposed to have firearms in the first place, like criminals and such who usually always follow the law..... ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, I just finished doing the FFL paperwork to sell one of my own target revolvers back to myself. No this is NOT a joke.

I often sell my guns on consignment. If I'm patient, I can usually get closer to my price than going to the gun show or using the piece as a trade-in. I get my cash, and life is good.

This time, I had a 357 mag target revolver on consignment, and after 6 weeks, nothing was happening. Gun show's coming up here, so I thought I'd retrieve it and take it there in hopes of selling it.

Just be lucky you don't have to have a background check when you do pick it up, can you imagine. I think consignment at that point would be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
BATF Makes Me Sell My Own Gun Back to Myself
Wow. good to know this stuff. Just sold a Ruger revo on consignment, and I didn't know that was the case.

In fact, I went down to pick it up because it hadn't sold quickly, but he said that someone had just put it on hold, so I didn't bother taking it back. Sold a couple days later.

I did find it curious when he made me sign the consign receipt that he gave me when I first dropped it off at the store. Makes sense now. I actually think the store owners should be letting customers know up front that putting guns on consignment involves transferring ownership.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Doing a consignment follows the similar principle of pawning it. FFL has to log it in the bound book. However, there is a spot on the back of the 4473 a pawnbroker fills in if it's a pawn redemption. It's a CYA thing.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'm guessing this is like when you pawn a gun. When you pay off the pawn you have to fill out the form again.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I believe the same thing holds true if you leave a gun with a gunsmith to repair it unless you stay right in the shop while he works on it!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just be lucky you don't have to have a background check when you do pick it up, can you imagine. I think consignment at that point would be a thing of the past.
If you pawn a gun, when you pick it back up, you have to pay the BG fee and be checked. It's pretty silly. When I was younger and short on cash I pawned my XD, went to pick it up, they charged me the BG and checked me, I was like...but its MY gun! lol. Ive got the darn blue card right here! (blue card is pistol registration card here in nevada). It just makes no sense.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
You just got to love some of these laws to keep us from hurting ourselves.

Reactions: Bigcarlover

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
You should have sold it to yourself at twice the price and made a tidy profit!:p
I can't agree with this.
I mean, the gun is used, for pete's sake. You gotta put your bargaining cap on and go all out!
Looks like a piece of junk that's been rode hard and put away wet too many times.
Bore is shot to hell.
Trigger needs work.
Lots of play in the slide/hammer.

Wear the LGS down and then buy it at the reduced price.
Sure, you're out a few bucks but you've got bragging rights on getting a helluva deal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I weep for the future of our great country.:'(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts