Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all Taurus 'smiths! I've got a question regarding the barrel of my revolver twisting.

I have a 605SS2 38/357 5-shot revolver that I like a LOT. It wasn't shooting POA even considering my poor marksmanship. :D After close inspection, the barrel was about 1 degree twisted to the right. I sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it.

About 6-8 weeks later, I noticed the same problem. But I didn't feel like sending it back again, plus I was annoyed so I took a towel and some pliers and turned the barrel back straight. I tried to let some blue LocTite seep into the seam and am going today to fire the pistol to see if it stays. A friend said possibly the 357 ammo with the r/h twist of the rifling could cause the twist. Sounds like a good point.

So I am gonna go shoot some 38 and some 38+P to see how it makes out. It is stays straight, I'll do 357 next trip but just a little 'cause that stuff is expensive and hard to find! Plus I have a blued (black) model of the exact same pistol that doesn't experience the problem.

If it twists, is the barrel something I can remove myself? Or turn it just a bit more and actually apply red Loctite or other permanent locker to the threads (or whatever) before tightening it back up? Any other suggestions other than a return trip to Florida?

Thanks to all for advice and/or ideas.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
20,152 Posts
Well, bingo, that sounds like an interesting problem. I am not a revolver guy (all my handguns are semi-autos) but we have some very knowledgeable folk here and you should get some sound advice.

And, since it looks like you are relatively new, welcome to the forum from West Georgia!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And, since it looks like you are relatively new, welcome to the forum from West Georgia!
Why thank you, suh. :) I've read some others' problems and the advice given. That's what made me inquire. Looks like some smart peeps here!

And I shot my problem child today. Fifty rounds of 125gr +P ammo and 25 of regular 38spl. No twist or movement of any kind, as far as I can see. I shot both my SS and Blued (black) guns and they performed admirably. Next trip -- I might have to break out the three fitty seven ammo.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Hi Bingo!

Most of us here are really "gun mechanics". Not many gunsmiths make comments here. Barrel removal is something you can do yourself with the right tools and if you are the mechanically inclined type. Personally, I've never removed a revolver barrel myself.

Concerning using Loctite to hold your barrel turned back that one degree, I imagine it's worth a try. I don't know how long that will hold, since a barrel is supposed to be torqued all the way into the frame. Being turned "loose" a hair might not hold position long even with Loctite.

It sounds like Taurus just tightened your barrel without regarding the sight alignment. From what I've read they really should refit the barrel from scratch. Read a bit about the procedure here. Revolver barrel removal

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concerning using Loctite to hold your barrel turned back that one degree, I imagine it's worth a try. I don't know how long that will hold ... It sounds like Taurus just tightened your barrel without regarding the sight alignment. From what I've read they really should refit the barrel from scratch. Read a bit about the procedure here. Revolver barrel removal
Thank you for that information. It wasn't a bad twist. Just a tiny amount so the sight-post was off right about 1 degree. When I initially sent it back, it came back fixed. Then after shooting it (using some .357) is when I noticed it was off again and turned it back myself.

Thanks for the link! I will read it before I do anything. At this point, maybe it's fixed. If not, that is when I'd like to unscrew it just a turn or two more so I can get some Red LocTite on the threaded portion (which I didn't do with the Blue the first time...) to make it hopefully permanent.

Thanks again for the link and info!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I had a similar problem years ago with a replica Remington revolver. I took it to a gunsmith and this is what he did: he removed the ejector rod and housing then mounted the barrel in a barrel vise with lead jaws. He tried to tighten the barrel by using a pickaxe handle to turn the frame. Still too loose. So he then removed the frame from the barrel and using a punch, he peened the shoulder next to the threads on the underside of the barrel (where it wouldn't be seen). He then re-installed the frame and tightened and straightened the sight alignment. After reassembly, it shot perfectly.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Administrator
18,844 Posts
Some Revolver Barrels in addition to being screwed into the Frame, also have a Retention Pin installed in the Frame. It's usually found on the Frame just above the Barrel. It's not doing it's job if you have one. Could be broken.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some Revolver Barrels in addition to being screwed into the Frame, also have a Retention Pin installed in the Frame. It's usually found on the Frame just above the Barrel. It's not doing it's job if you have one. Could be broken.
Hmm, I can't say as I've seen a pin anywhere. Makes sense, but I haven't seen (during good cleanings) anything like a pin anywhere. I'm going to try unscrewing just a TINY BIT more if it twists again and go with the Red LocTite. But thanks for that piece of info!

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Hmm, I can't say as I've seen a pin anywhere. Makes sense, but I haven't seen (during good cleanings) anything like a pin anywhere. I'm going to try unscrewing just a TINY BIT more if it twists again and go with the Red LocTite. But thanks for that piece of info!
If it had a pin, it might look something like this S&W with the pin near the top strap of the frame. http://www.fototime.com/6E2D43025E29833/standard.jpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would highly suggest not putting the red loctite on until approved by a gunsmith. I am sure Taurus would disapprove. Once that stuff is on, it might be impossible to get the barrel off with the red loctite. It could be a torque that holds it in place or as Lmstncwby said, might need something else. It's your pistol though. Good luck!

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.