Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no luck looking for after market threaded barrels. Since the pro ds doesn't have much barrel left to be threaded, the question is; Can the barrel from the 24 7 Pro LS be put in the standard sized pistol in order to have extra barrel sticking out of the gun to be threaded? Or is there something different about it?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It's an interesting question that someone may know the answer for. I'll at least say that much to move the thread up on the new posts lists. Sometimes people don't see new threads when there's only the original post because most use the 'What's News' button to see the latest happenings. If yours doesn't get a new post, it might get bumped back a few pages and stay back there until an adventurous soul travels beyond page 3 of the new posts.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'll give it a bump too.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
There are just no aftermarket barrels for late model Taurus handguns probably not even older models, and folks thinking of adding a suppressor usually go with other makes of handguns for that reason. I don't recall ever seeing a Taurus handgun equipped with a suppressor or a thread about one. The only Taurus I can think of that would be easy to get a threaded barrel is the 1911.

About all you can probably do to answer your original question is go to a gun shop that has both the pro ds and the 24/7 pro LS and see if the shop owner will let you disassemble them and compare them, unless someone on here has already done so.

Good luck on getting a suppressed handgun, I am looking at getting a suppressed .22 caliber handgun, and quite a few companies are now making .22's with threaded barrels. I have just put a Ruger .22/45 with a threaded barrel on lay-a-way. The suppressor will be over double the cost of the handgun with the tax stamp, and then my next goal will be a .22 rifle with a threaded barrel. I view a suppressed rifle as the ultimate for SHTF.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I don't really know for sure,but will venture to say, no. I have an LS, but not with me where I am now. I do not have a 4" 24/7. My recall is that the LS barrel, like all the Tauri I have with enclosed barrels, has a slight swell at the muzzle end to facilitate a tight lockup with the slide when all is in battery and locked. The swell on the LS barrel would probably be well forward and outside the slide. In my opinion, if it worked at all, this would significantly affect accuracy and may well be unsafe because one of the points providing rigidity and stability to the barrel and lockup would be compromised.
I don't know if a machinist couud duplicate the swell at the correct place on an LS barrel to fit the shorter slide, but I think most would decline an attempt to do so because of potential liability. Heat, etc, might well compromise the steel of the barrel.
Just my thoughts. I am not an engineer, metalurgist, machineist (sp) or in any other way qualified as an expert. Standard disclaimers apply :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the input. I was just going a bit crazy looking for non existing results online about it. It's not too serious since I've been planning on getting a G21 or a 1911. Knowing there are plenty of aftermarket threaded barrels for those models. I just wanted something now to play with. I can possibly find a local machine shop or give red jacket firearms a call and see if they could make or modify me a barrel since they aren't to far away. Any guesses when they might have aftermarket barrels available?

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
Can the barrel from the 24 7 Pro LS be put in the standard sized pistol in order to have extra barrel sticking out of the gun to be threaded? Or is there something different about it?
Possibly. If, and only if, you can get someone to tig weld an appropriately sized lockup band (what bushy223 called a swell) in the appropriate place on the barrel. The Lockup band will have to be then fitted to the slide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts